Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2018, 06:15 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Kim Coxon's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 127
Irix vLaowa comparison

Has anyone seen or know of a test published comparing the Irix 11mm and the Laowa 12mm?

09-28-2018, 04:19 AM   #2
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Galati
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 91
Scroll down on this link from dpreview.com.
And this one.

Last edited by CristiC; 09-28-2018 at 04:27 AM.
09-28-2018, 05:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,505
QuoteOriginally posted by Kim Coxon Quote
Has anyone seen or know of a test published comparing the Irix 11mm and the Laowa 12mm?
The Irix 11mm test has been published here a short while ago.

The Laowa 12mm test should be published in the near future, it will go to editing soon.

I can tell you my conclusion already. The Irix 11mm is a very good lens, with some compromises optically.

The Laowa 12mm is a superb lens, with few optical compromises and amazing build quality. It's more expensive but if Pentax made a 12mm Limited, this lens would be it, or close to it.

To me there is no contest: the Laowa is superior regarding sharpness, distortion, handling, CA. It focuses closer also. Vignetting is bad (and easily corrected) on both, bokeh a bit better on the Irix (not very relevant on a ultra wide lens). The 12mm is more compact, but close to the same weight (it's dense and hefty).

If money was no object, I'd go with the Laowa without hesitating. That being said, the Irix is much cheaper and pretty good in its own right.
09-28-2018, 05:12 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Kim Coxon's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 127
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The Irix 11mm test has been published here a short while ago.

The Laowa 12mm test should be published in the near future, it will go to editing soon.

I can tell you my conclusion already. The Irix 11mm is a very good lens, with some compromises optically.

The Laowa 12mm is a superb lens, with few optical compromises and amazing build quality. It's more expensive but if Pentax made a 12mm Limited, this lens would be it, or close to it.

To me there is no contest: the Laowa is superior regarding sharpness, distortion, handling, CA. It focuses closer also. Vignetting is bad (and easily corrected) on both, bokeh a bit better on the Irix (not very relevant on a ultra wide lens). The 12mm is more compact, but close to the same weight (it's dense and hefty).

If money was no object, I'd go with the Laowa without hesitating. That being said, the Irix is much cheaper and pretty good in its own right.
Many thanks for the link to the test. I have seen many comments on both but these days it is much more difficult to judge reviews. Different people have different expectations of lenses and this does tend to be reflected in their reviews.

There do seem to be advantages to both. The Irix in the blackstone version is weather resistant, cheaper and has a slightly wider angle of view. I know 1mm is not critical in judging more normal lenses but in this range the relative difference is much greater. On the other hand, the Laowa has the aperture ring which makes it usable on film bodies, is faster and more compact. So at the moment bearing in mind all the various comments it was about 50/50 which is why I was interested in a direct side by side comparison.

09-28-2018, 05:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,505
QuoteOriginally posted by Kim Coxon Quote
I was interested in a direct side by side comparison.
When the review of the Laowa comes out you'll be able to do mostly that. Lenses are tested always in the exact same way, and reviews are built so they can be compared to one another.

For the time being, you have to take my word for it.

I agree 1mm makes a difference at these angles. However remember that if you plan on correcting distortion via post-processing, you will loose all of that 1mm advantage and more. The Laowa's distortion control truly is impressive, as is corner sharpness.
09-28-2018, 05:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,505
QuoteOriginally posted by Kim Coxon Quote
I was interested in a direct side by side comparison.
When the review of the Laowa comes out you'll be able to do mostly that. Lenses are tested always in the exact same way, and reviews are built so they can be compared to one another.

For the time being, you have to take my word for it.

I agree 1mm makes a difference at these angles. However remember that if you plan on correcting distortion via post-processing, you will loose all of that 1mm advantage and more. The Laowa's distortion control truly is impressive, as is corner sharpness.
11-24-2018, 07:20 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Kim Coxon's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 127
Original Poster
Decision made.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XF1  Photo 
11-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #8
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter
SSGGeezer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Maine, U.S.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,657
QuoteOriginally posted by Kim Coxon Quote
Decision made.
Post some images soon Kim!

11-25-2018, 06:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,505
For those interested, the laowa 12mm review has been published!
11-25-2018, 08:52 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Kim Coxon's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 127
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
For those interested, the laowa 12mm review has been published!
It was one of the things which helped the decision. Having said that, Irix did a sale price on their 11mm lens in the UK with the Blackstone version selling at the same price as the Firestone and both reduced to about half the normal price of the Blackstone. Same with the 15mm but I do have the 15/3.5 A lens to cover that.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
irix, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ultra wide angle Irix 15mm or Irix 11mm matroxication Pentax K-1 67 09-19-2018 10:01 PM
Irix 15 filter holder? TerryL Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 06-25-2018 11:36 AM
Pentax IRIX Blackstone 15mm for the price of the FireFly on IRIX USA Site (475$) Weevil Pentax Price Watch 7 11-25-2017 03:51 PM
The 11mm Irix f4 Blackstone longbow Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 11-05-2017 06:44 PM
Irix 15mm f/2.4 Lightroom Lens Correction Profile! kvetcha Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 03-18-2017 03:10 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:51 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top