Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are the Pentax 135mm K f2.5 and Takumar 135mm f2.5 6 element lenses =?

Hello All.

I was looking into possibly purchasing a 135mm Takumar f2.5 (6 element) lens for some fun (I already have an old Spiratone 135mm f2.8 that I got from my dad, 16 blades!). The Takumar lens seems to have developed an almost cult following with users of other makes that adapt them to their mounts. I was wondering though if the 135mm f2.5 K is actually just the same lens as the Takumar in K-mount? Are people just paying premium because the lens is easily adaptable to other mounts? If so, as a Pentax user, I don't see much reason to pay more for the screw-mount Takumar except for its design.

Thanks

09-27-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most of the SMC Pentax lenses introduced with the KM/KX/K2 were bayonet versions of the last generation SMC Takumars. As such using the K mount version does make sense. The 135/2.5 was the same as the last of the SMC Takumars introduced in 1973. The Super Takumars and the first series of the SMC Takumars were different optically and were 5 elements in 4 groups. Not sure which of the Taks has the cult status. However I do have the bayonet version and it is very good.
09-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Yes and no. There are two versions of the Takumar 135 mm f2.5 to consider. They have different number of aperture blades ( 6 versus 8)
The Tak with 8 aperture blades is essentially the same as the K series. The Tak with only 6 blades is different and considered inferior. The 8 blade Takumar is expensive because it can be adapted easily to use on other brands such as Sony thus increasing it's demand. You will be able to offload the Takumar easily because of it's reputation.
09-27-2018, 10:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Yes and no. There are two versions of the Takumar 135 mm f2.5 to consider. They have different number of aperture blades ( 6 versus 8)
The Tak with 8 aperture blades is essentially the same as the K series. The Tak with only 6 blades is different and considered inferior. The 8 blade Takumar is expensive because it can be adapted easily to use on other brands such as Sony thus increasing it's demand. You will be able to offload the Takumar easily because of it's reputation.
Thanks Kim and Broo, but I thought the old Takumar version was 5 elements and the newer one was 6. There is also an 8 element version?

09-27-2018, 10:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The 6 element Tak has eight aperture blades whilst the older 5 element lens has 6 aperture blades . That is how you can easily tell the difference when purchasing. I don't mean to confuse you. Just be careful to purchase the right one. There is a video that explains this here.
09-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #6
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just looked at mine and it has blades, but no way for me to know how many elements. Thinking of selling mine because I use my Samyang 135 instead.
09-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
I was looking into possibly purchasing a 135mm Takumar f2.5 (6 element) lens for some fun
QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
I was wondering though if the 135mm f2.5 K is actually just the same lens as the Takumar in K-mount?
The 6-element design from the late (eight-bladed) S-M-C/SMC Takumar was carried over to the Pentax-K 135/2.5, though the lenses differ in regards to the actual lens body. The optical diagrams in the lens review section of this site show the relationship. Be aware that the Takumar (Bayonet) 135/2.5 is a 4 element design that is different that the M42 Takumars and other K-mount Pentax 135s.

Steve
09-27-2018, 07:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I just looked at mine and it has blades, but no way for me to know how many elements. Thinking of selling mine because I use my Samyang 135 instead.
The weight is different too. The extra glass element makes the 6 element version significantly heavier. The distance scale has different markings and there's a different part number stamped on the camera side of the A/M switch.

The K-mount versions look so different that once you've seen them, you wouldn't mix them up.
09-27-2018, 08:46 PM   #10
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The weight is different too. The extra glass element makes the 6 element version significantly heavier. The distance scale has different markings and there's a different part number stamped on the camera side of the A/M switch.

The K-mount versions look so different that once you've seen them, you wouldn't mix them up.
Mine actually is the SMC Pentax K mount, and yes, the thing is really heavy for its size. It feels like it weighs as much as my Tamron 24-134 autofocus lens, maybe more!