Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A few shots from my new Tammy 17-50

I wife and I start Photography classes Wed. so maybe I'll learn how to shoot better photo's.
These are right from the camera no processing. What do you guys think of the Lens? Does it look ok?
Just Click to Enlarge

Live Oak in my yard

My House

2 new Flamingos I got in the mail today from my mother

09-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not bad!

If your photography class is like the ones I took last fall, you'll learn a lot, not just on how to operate your camera and lenses, but from the feeback you'll be getting on your pics from your instructor and classmates. Actually, I have to give my instructor credit for introducing me to Pentax about this time last year.

Heather
09-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Very nice and sharp pictures. I think you got a very good copy of the lens. Congratulations.
09-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks.. The first class is all about the camera the second class is about learning to take pictures. we have to bring all our equipment and Tripods. so that should be interesting..

09-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Fl Gulfer,

I have had my Tamron 17-50 for about a month and a half. Overall, I am happy with lens sharpness and build quality. Though I have noticed that with my K10D, the pictures using this lens are under exposed by about half to one stop. The underexposure is pretty consistent, so I have been setting the exposure compensation to +.5 (though, I am still typically needing to increase the exposure when I am processing the pictures on the computer). I noticed that the second and fourth picture you posted are a bit dark. Have you noticed the same problem? I think I am going post this question to the forum.
09-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wenz Quote
Fl Gulfer,

I have had my Tamron 17-50 for about a month and a half. Overall, I am happy with lens sharpness and build quality. Though I have noticed that with my K10D, the pictures using this lens are under exposed by about half to one stop. The underexposure is pretty consistent, so I have been setting the exposure compensation to +.5 (though, I am still typically needing to increase the exposure when I am processing the pictures on the computer). I noticed that the second and fourth picture you posted are a bit dark. Have you noticed the same problem? I think I am going post this question to the forum.
All these four pictures above were shot in manual mode with F6.7 and 1/90 s. So if any one of them is underexposed in not the camera's fault.
09-24-2008, 08:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Fl_gulfer

Congratulations on your new lens and best of luck with it. I think your first pic, even more than the others, shows you have a nice copy of the lens. I absolutely love my 17-50mm Tamron.
09-24-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Looks good with the last two shots, consistent with the reports from my friends using the same zoom on canon body.

The bokeh appears a little choky and some oversharpening applied to the image in the very first shot.

Otherwise a good zoom.

09-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

There are 128 reviews here FM Reviews - AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] and underexposure is not a consistent theme. If you want to learn more about the Tamron this is good resource.