Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2018, 04:08 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another Sigma 35/1.4 Art Vs FA 31/1.8 Ltd.

I'm really eyeing up both these lenses, one of these will be the winner, currently I am on the fence leaning towards the FA31 (prolly due to the fact that I have the FA77 and just utterly love the small size and built quality of it).
I used to have the Samyang 85/1.4 and moved to the FA77, and I really appreciate that step down in size, I have to say that's a really powerful argument for choosing the 31 over the 35, bulk alone.

But I'm interested in IQ here. I know it's prolly been done before in a thread elsewhere, I didn't want to bump any older threads, I wondered if there was a chance to start a new thread comparing these two beauties, but most importantly start throwing some images in here to show case just what these two can manage (in a single thread making it easier for comparisons).

So... come on folks, weigh in with which lens you prefer and why (and don't forget to litter the page with your favourite images!).

Cheers,

Bruce

10-02-2018, 06:53 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i prefer the pentax it does a fantastic job on my K1 and prior to that the MZ-S and it is built like a tank just like the K series bodies. in addition i have the 43 and the 77 and the same goes for them also. and this might be some sour grapes but Sigma refuses to make their newer glass in the K mount despite an obvious market so why support them.
10-02-2018, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #3

The Sigma 35mm is technically better wide-open (and it is 1.4 instead of 1.8). The 31mm has some vignetting and loss of corner sharpness at widest apertures. But the 31mm has, I think, loads more character than the sterile perfection of the Sigma Art series.

Stopped down to 2.8 I doubt they are significantly different. If you need silent focusing and corner sharpness wide-open I suppose the Sigma is the way to go - but the size, feel and character of the 31mm would absolutely be my choice (or rather - it was!)

I don't have a Sigma 35mm to compare with but I have shot it before (on Nikon). Personally, I think FA Limited lenses are one of unique pleasures of the system and I would lean towards them. Aperture rings also make them cross compatible with mirrorless cameras (and Canon EOS) which is important for me as I use them on multiple systems.
10-02-2018, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #4

I had this question once. I ended up going with the 31mm. I don't think though that if I had ended up going with the 35mm I would have regretted it either. Right now the 31mm looks great on my new Super A. I like it on the K1 because it's small, though the AF is a little slow and noisy because it's screw drive. I find it to be a very artistic lens, great as a walk about.

If you are buying new, the 35mm is probably the smart buy because it's quite a bit cheaper. If you are buying second hand, I'm guessing that the 31mm is easier to find and is quite a lot cheaper second hand, plus you can probably find it in good condition.

Slightly unrelated comment: If I had the money to buy the 31mm new, I'd buy the new DFA 50mm instead, because even though it's the heaviest prime lens ever made*, the IQ is stunning. I feel like the price of the 31mm is a bit high considering what else you can get for your money, unless perhaps it's on sale.
*joke

10-02-2018, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Digitalis (or someone else) did an excellent comparison. For landscape the 31 was clearly better. But for smooth bokeh the 35 was better at 1.4 than the 31 was at 1.8. Except for that one setting, the 31 was the preferable lens, compared straight up with matching f-stops, and the Sigma was only marginally better at ƒ1.4 than the 31 was at ƒ1.8. IMHO.

If it was me, I'd buy the 31.
10-02-2018, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I'm really eyeing up both these lenses, one of these will be the winner, currently I am on the fence leaning towards the FA31 (prolly due to the fact that I have the FA77 and just utterly love the small size and built quality of it).weigh in with which lens you prefer and why
I prefer the smaller and solid build FA. It also offers in camera lens correction. The Sigma Art may be outside the center, but has less character.
Also the 31mm would be a good companion for the FA 77
10-02-2018, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Perhaps not relevant to you, but in my comparison of three lenses around those focal lengths -- the DA 35, the FA 31, and the Sigma DG 28/1.8, considering the focal length, I find that I prefer the 31 to the other two for my usage. It is slightly wider than the 35, and the 28 has too much distortion in the corners, though this could be particular to that model of lens, as I haven't tested any other 28s since I noticed this.

10-02-2018, 04:03 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, don't be shy, you're welcome to throw in a handful of your favourite shots with either lens!

I was curious about the 31@f1.8 vs 35@f1.4 because although the 31 can only get to f1.8 it is wider at 31, so I was curious if both shots actually ended up with similar amounts of bokeh etc.

I know from owning the FA77 that it can't match the bokeh that the Samyang 85/1.4 could muster, but I feel it still has a serious 3d pop anyway and that smaller form factor is hugely appreciated. Here's a couple of shots between the FA77 and Sammy 85 to illustrate;

FA77@1.8

Samyang 85/1.4 @1.6 (I struggled to find a shot that I actually nailed well at 1.4)

Would be awesome if we could see such comparisons like this with the 31 and 35.

---------- Post added 10-03-18 at 09:06 AM ----------

Currently on B&H one is neither more expensive than the other;

Compare Pentax smcP FA 31mm f 1.8 Limited Lens Black vs Sigma 35mm f 1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Pentax DSLR Cameras
10-02-2018, 09:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's different subject matter, and the 85 pic is very good, but the 77 image looks much more impressive. But like I said, different subject matter, so the dappled, receding path may present a more impressive-looking challenge than your 85mm pic; but it also may present a scenario in which the 77 particularly shines.
10-02-2018, 10:43 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FA31 wide open

f/2.0

Sigma Art wide open

The Sigma is sharper for sure, but I prefer the colours and focal transitions of the Pentax. It is of course also much smaller and lighter.
10-03-2018, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I have got both lenses. Didn’t plan on buying the 35 but it was sold together with the K-1 I picked up for a price so funny it is not even fair. Anyways, to me they are two completely different animals. True, 35 is big and heavy but I’ve got no concerns about the build quality. It focuses instantly on my K-1. And it does that without making any sound. The images I get from it are really clean even at high iso. I mean reaaaaaaaaly clean. Must be the new coatings and stuff as I am in no way a tech savvy guy. So I guess it kinda boils down to what is it you’re after in your images. I will upload a few samples from both lenses shortly.
10-03-2018, 01:23 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

I went with the FA31 Ltd. because of the size difference. It fits in my bag always. I like the renderation and 3D pop of the lens.

I use it on my KP which is APS-C only.

10-03-2018, 01:57 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The Sigma is sharper for sure, but I prefer the colours and focal transitions of the Pentax. It is of course also much smaller and lighter.
Ah yes, Sandy... forgot you had the 35 (how could I forget!), didn't know you had the 31 as well (I now have a strong suspicion you have all the Pentax lenses ever released!) hehe.

So apart from the obvious things like size and weight as you already mentioned, how did the Autofocus fair with each lens? Did you find one hunted more than the other for a decent lock on or...?

I also stalked your flickr some more and came across those wreath shots on the door. It was quite interesting to see the various apertures and how that impacted vignette and edge sharpness. I paid attention to the door lock on the left and it looked like by f5.6 it was very sharp. I'm sure any vignetting at f1.8-2.8 etc could be dealt easily in post as well (if need be).

QuoteOriginally posted by racingsnake Quote
I have got both lenses. Didn’t plan on buying the 35 but it was sold together with the K-1 I picked up for a price so funny it is not even fair. Anyways, to me they are two completely different animals. True, 35 is big and heavy but I’ve got no concerns about the build quality. It focuses instantly on my K-1. And it does that without making any sound. The images I get from it are really clean even at high iso. I mean reaaaaaaaaly clean. Must be the new coatings and stuff as I am in no way a tech savvy guy. So I guess it kinda boils down to what is it you’re after in your images. I will upload a few samples from both lenses shortly.
I would definitely really appreciate those samples.
I'm intrigued to hear you say you think they are quite different animals, are we talking just in the physical sense or results wise?

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
I went with the FA31 Ltd. because of the size difference. It fits in my bag always. I like the renderation and 3D pop of the lens.

I use it on my KP which is APS-C only.

Nice shots and there is quite a nice pop to things with it for sure.

From what I'm seeing is that if you want the cleanest strongest pop for sure, then the Sigma takes it, if you still want very adequate pop in a smaller package then grab the 31.
10-03-2018, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Ah yes, Sandy... forgot you had the 35 (how could I forget!), didn't know you had the 31 as well (I now have a strong suspicion you have all the Pentax lenses ever released!) hehe.

So apart from the obvious things like size and weight as you already mentioned, how did the Autofocus fair with each lens? Did you find one hunted more than the other for a decent lock on or...?

I also stalked your flickr some more and came across those wreath shots on the door. It was quite interesting to see the various apertures and how that impacted vignette and edge sharpness. I paid attention to the door lock on the left and it looked like by f5.6 it was very sharp. I'm sure any vignetting at f1.8-2.8 etc could be dealt easily in post as well (if need be).

I would definitely really appreciate those samples.

I'm intrigued to hear you say you think they are quite different animals, are we talking just in the physical sense or results wise?

Nice shots and there is quite a nice pop to things with it for sure.

From what I'm seeing is that if you want the cleanest strongest pop for sure, then the Sigma takes it, if you still want very adequate pop in a smaller package then grab the 31.

They are different in both ways. Sigma focuses quicker and more precise. The weight is not so much an issue for me. The results is where the difference is really noticeable. At least for me. The sigma shots are cleaner, more polished and dare i say optimized. Imagine a new pair of shoes just out of the shop. Nice and shiny. Those are the images from sigma. And now imagine a worn pair. Not rubbish but worn with those beautiful wrinkles formed that tell you they have seen stuff and they have been through stuff. Those are the images from the 31.
10-03-2018, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Just a few quick examples. Hopefully the resolution is ok as I am uploading straight from my phone.

Name:  40387425610_f71de9d242_o.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  78.0 KB

Name:  41898338535_cec6445e1d_o.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  122.9 KB