Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2018, 05:22 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I'm really eyeing up both these lenses, one of these will be the winner, currently I am on the fence leaning towards the FA31 (prolly due to the fact that I have the FA77 and just utterly love the small size and built quality of it).
I used to have the Samyang 85/1.4 and moved to the FA77, and I really appreciate that step down in size, I have to say that's a really powerful argument for choosing the 31 over the 35, bulk alone.

But I'm interested in IQ here. I know it's prolly been done before in a thread elsewhere, I didn't want to bump any older threads, I wondered if there was a chance to start a new thread comparing these two beauties, but most importantly start throwing some images in here to show case just what these two can manage (in a single thread making it easier for comparisons).

So... come on folks, weigh in with which lens you prefer and why (and don't forget to litter the page with your favourite images!).

Cheers,

Bruce
I had the same question, bought both and kept the Sigma 35mm f1.4. Ultimately, the larger aperture was worth the size.

You can see a full review and download RAW files from both lenses on the K1 here;

The official PF review says;
Compared to the Sigma lens, the FA 31mm exhibitsa bit more fringing while the DA 35mm isn't quite as sharp. Neither Pentax lens renders bokeh as nicely, and neither has silent autofocus. If you're a serious photographer that doesn't mind the added weight or is willing to spend a bit extra for the best possible image quality, then you probably already see the Sigma 35mm F1.4 as a must-have.
Read more at: Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM "Art" Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews

It is bigger and heavier though.

10-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by englishphotographer Quote
You can see a full review and download RAW files from both lenses on the K1 here; English Photographer - Pentax 31mm f1.8 vs Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art Lenses Compared - YouTube
QuoteQuote:
Here are my conclusions gentlemen;Sigma 35mm f1.4 - The sharpest lens across the frame and my preference overall. There's a big difference between f1.8 and f1.4 too so the lens gives more opportunities. Slightly cooler rendering. Quiet autofocus but not accurate.Pentax 31mm - Similar sharpness but much smaller and lighter than the 35mm. Noisy autofocus and doesn't seem as well sealed as the sigma. Severe vignetting wide open. Smaller filters.Pentax 28-105mm - I love this lens. It's a really good move from Pentax to provide a sharp, light, compact, weather sealed lens for a bargain price. Almost identical sharpness to the primes.Pentax 20-35mm - This is a great lens too because it's so small and light for the focal length. It's not quite as sharp as the others and is warmer too, but it makes an excellent travel wide angle zoom. It's really so light.If I had to choose one lens, it would be the 28-105mm. Otherwise I'd have the 35mm because of the better image quality. If I had to recommend one, I'd choose the Pentax 31mm because the image quality is almost as good but it's smaller and lighter.Benwww.shot.click
The FA Limited is an lens to last decades and easy to carry. The integrated lens hood and high quality full metal build quality with engraved markings is awesome.
10-05-2018, 12:15 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had the same question, bought both and kept the Sigma 35mm f1.4. Ultimately, the larger aperture was worth the size.

You can see a full review and download RAW files from both lenses on the K1 here; English Photographer - Pentax 31mm f1.8 vs Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art Lenses Compared - YouTube

Compared to the Sigma lens, the FA 31mm exhibitsa bit more fringing while the DA 35mm isn't quite as sharp. Neither Pentax lens renders bokeh as nicely, and neither has silent autofocus. If you're a serious photographer that doesn't mind the added weight or is willing to spend a bit extra for the best possible image quality, then you probably already see the Sigma 35mm F1.4 as a must-have.
Read more at: Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM "Art" Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Ah yes, I did find that video before, I meant to go and grab the files for inspection, will do that. To be honest, if you have more RAW files to throw my way I would be very appreciative.
Any images of the Sigma with it's hood on also for size comparison (just to be fair)?

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
The FA Limited is an lens to last decades and easy to carry. The integrated lens hood and high quality full metal build quality with engraved markings is awesome.
Yeah, now that I have a FA 77 I kinda wanna 'catch 'em all' There's something about them, the feel, weight, they scream premium and they scream durability, classical even. The Sigma on the other hand looks kinda standard affair (however I am sure it's well made). It's really the size and weight that is pulling me towards the FA31, because I feel in post I can make up for some of the shortcomings, boost selective clarity on things lacking that tact sharpness, boost selective sharpness as well. I'm now left wondering how much I really need that sharp f1.4 vs the slightly softer f1.8 (which I am sure I can salvage much of in post).
I shoot primes only, and therefore I do a fair bit of lens swapping when on the job. Size and weight is really important from that perspective. When I owned the Samyang 85, it's hood lived on it, as I tended to put it face down in my belt pouch with it's lens cap off for quick ease of use lens swapping. It was tight in some of those pouches, was annoying, the 77/1.8 a dream to store in a pouch

Perhaps however I should turn my attention to the cheaper FA43 and admit defeat and tackle the bulk of the 35 Art as if I'm honest I am gravitating towards that lens for IQ...
10-05-2018, 01:14 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I shoot primes only
Perhaps however I should turn my attention to the cheaper FA43 and admit defeat and tackle the bulk of the 35 Art as if I'm honest I am gravitating towards that lens for IQ...
Me too
For the ultimate IQ i'd go for the D FA* 50mm - it's better build and has faster AF speed than the Sigma.

10-05-2018, 03:33 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Yeah the price of the 31 even on the used market is what turns me off to it. The 43 was/is a much better value for what it offers. Hopefully someday the 31 can drop a bit in price to fit a different class of lens.
10-05-2018, 04:50 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Generally I take different lenses out for shooting demonstrations (my sub-specialty). But it was new, to me, and I went for it even in miserable lighting conditions.

At f5 because otherwise I'd need a neutral density filter.

10-05-2018, 05:35 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Me too
For the ultimate IQ i'd go for the D FA* 50mm - it's better build and has faster AF speed than the Sigma.
I have a FA77/1.8 and a Lensbaby 56/1.6, I feel I have the 50-85mm portrait length sorted. Currently wider than that I 'only' have the HD DA 35/2.8 Macro.

Ideally I'd actually like a fast 28-30, hence the 31 also is on the radar. Part of me feels going to 35 might also be clashing with the HD DA 35 anyway (focal length wise), I'm more interested with 'filling up' my Focal Length gaps.
I mean I do have a 28 and a 24, but they are both MF A series lenses, and I actually find AF more important on those wider angle (especially when shooting thin DoF) than on my longer lengths.
I tried the DA 21 and DA 15, and sold both, not fast enough and ideally I want something FF compatible (thus far my FA77, Lensbaby 56 and HD DA 35 Macro are interchangable with the K-1/KP, I'm trying to keep things that way).

10-05-2018, 05:54 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Sigma 35 Art is properly full frame. The HD35 macro limited is not - it's essentially a crop normal lens which you can "get by" with on full frame. So I don't think the two clash at all. That's why I have both (and the FA31)
10-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The Sigma 35 Art is properly full frame. The HD35 macro limited is not - it's essentially a crop normal lens which you can "get by" with on full frame. So I don't think the two clash at all. That's why I have both (and the FA31)
It's true, it does 'get by' on full frame, enough to get me into Explore a few times xD

(and a couple of non Explore shots but proving nonetheless that it's more than capable in FF mode)

My point here is to illustrate that with post processing vignette removal and a more favourable 16:10 aspect ratio, I get 28.5 and 31 megapixel shots with it (and in some cases like the wall shot the full 36mp, which had additional vignette added fyi).

I found the DA 50/1.8 and DA 40 XS also in the same camp for vignetting, the difference with the HD DA 35 is you have to have the hood retracted, and if you add filters you will lose a tad more edging, but crop mode?! Nah... way overkill.

I've still to really test my FA 77 for vignette but I found your door shots (with the wreath) you had taken really informative, imo it's vignetting quite a lot at wide open, making f2.8-4 being necessary for it to disappear. That's pretty whacky for a supposedly full frame lens, I mean the DA 40 XS at f2.8 is almost the same vignette as the 31/1.8 each wide open, yet one was never intended for FF and the other was.
But both lenses and the vignette can be adequately dealt with in post, and more often than not a small amount of vignetting is a welcome addition to a nice shot. Even in landscape shots like waterfalls etc I quite enjoy some vignette. It's rare actually the opposite is true and I want absolutely no vignetting.

I just find it amusing how some lenses get passes for FF and others fail, when really when it comes down to it both can render extremely similarly. I'm not interested in what's technically this or that, just what actually get's the job done well (and FYI I typically would crop many shots of mine down to around 30mp that have nothing to do with vignetting issues but rather fine tuning composition or straightening the shots anyway).

Sandy... I'm not sure there's a lens you don't have Next time I have a comparison to make I'm a cut out the middle man (Pentax Forums) and come straight to you
10-06-2018, 01:13 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

10-06-2018, 02:03 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's true, it does 'get by' on full frame, enough to get me into Explore a few times
Some great shots there. But cropping, processing and strategically placing your subject to avoid image cutoff, vignetting and poor corner IQ respectively does not prove the lens is full frame. It shows that a good photographer can get great results despite a lens' limitations.

Sure, the FA31 vignettes quite heavily at wide apertures, but it provides a pleasing images which cover the full frame from MFD to infinity at all apertures. The DA35 macro limited does not. That is why the latter is not officially designated as a full frame lens.

The FA31 was designed in the film era with a deliberate set of compromises to keep the size small and the images beautiful. The Sigma 35 Art was not. They are different lenses for different applications. When all is said and done, I would rather put up with the Pentax's limitations. You're welcome to borrow my Sigma for a while if you like, with the option to buy it if it suits you, because frankly I have never really warmed to it despite its obviously premium image quality. I also have a spare FA31 if you really want to do the comparison yourself

And finally, there are heaps of lenses I don't own, or have never had. But if there's a lens which interests me I don't bother too much with reviews and arguing on the internet; I buy it and either keep it or move it on.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 10-06-2018 at 04:21 AM.
10-06-2018, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

10-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
enough to get me into Explore a few times xD
What is Explore?
10-07-2018, 02:25 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by racingsnake Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
What is Explore?
Flick'r Explore. A weird thing where every 24hrs the 'top' 500 shots from around the world get selected. If your image goes in and places well in that 500 you will get a lot of views and a lot of 'likes'.

New to Explore? Here are the FAQs. | in explore | Flickr

Here's the current Explore images; https://www.flickr.com/explore
10-07-2018, 09:35 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by racingsnake Quote

Oh my, that first portrait is a winner.