Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2008, 08:26 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
SMC Pentax - M f/1.7 Prime on its way tomorrow

Once again, the great information here convinced to add a fast prime to my kit lens DA 18-55 II and my DA 55-300 zooms. I was able to get a seller to end her auction early at a great price which includes shipping. Bonus for me - I realize it also includes a UV filter. This should be the good indoor portrait lens I was looking for. Now all I need to do is figure out how to configure my k200d do make it work with the M prime. Here's the lens SMC PENTAX-M 1:7 50mm K mount lens for Pentax - eBay (item 310085037718 end time Sep-22-08 19:07:45 PDT)

09-22-2008, 08:47 PM   #2

I think you will grow to really like this lens. I used to own it way back when.

A lot of folks get consumed by digital cameras, the technology, and wide ranging zoom lenses.

I really do not know much about the Pentax lenses you already own, but you should grow to love the reduced weight, balance, and image quality that this old lens will give you. You will "see" the subject so much better.

Of course manual focusing will be different if you have never done it before. But focusing a good fast lens near wide open is still best done manually anyway.

Take your time. Spend time experimenting with this lens, focusing in low light and practice shooting at slower shutter speeds without flash. Practice shooting slower shutter speeds in front of a mirror while observing how much you are shaking or moving the camera. Observe how you breathe while doing so. Keep your ASA/ISO low as well. Doing so will make you a better photographer if you care about the "craft" instead of just "machine gunning" snaps.

Enjoy!

Max
09-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #3

I have this lens and I actually like it more than the FA 50 I have. It's sharper and has less purple fringing. All you have to do with your camera is go into the menu and allow the use of aperture ring and shoot in manual mode.

Manual focusing is easier than I thought since the camera beeps and you can see the green pentagon inside your viewfinder which confirms focus for you. Then you can recompose, hit the green button which sets you shutter speed, and fire away. It becomes second nature after a while.
09-23-2008, 05:50 AM   #4

Original Poster
I was wondering how the metering worked once you set aperture, but it sounds like the green button sets the right shutter speed. Will it work in Av mode the same as it works in M mode?

I actually had many years of practice manual focusing with my Nikon FG, so I'm comfortable with that.

09-23-2008, 07:49 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Rawr! I got my SMC Pentax M F/1.7 today and also an old Hoya skylight 1B filter attached. It cost me 50 euros but looks like funky purchase already. Green button works wonders in M-mode for metering and in Av mode you just point and shoot away. I prefer green button manual mode as I can meter bright and dark spots and then calculate some number quickly as the average for example. Now I have to get a lens hood and some CL PL.
09-23-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrpackerguy Quote
I was wondering how the metering worked once you set aperture, but it sounds like the green button sets the right shutter speed. Will it work in Av mode the same as it works in M mode?
No. In Av mode it ignores your aperture ring setting completely and always shoots the lens wide open. It does, however, calculate exposure normally, so you do get well-exposed shots.
09-23-2008, 08:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have two of these lenses, but I use them on my film bodies only. Great lenses! For digital I have FA50/1.4 and A50/1.7

The M primes are cheap and you can get primes like 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 135/2.8 and so on for quite cheap. The M50/1.7 was the first one I bought and I didn't stop there
09-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Oh yes, Av mode indeed shoots wide open, just tried it out more carefully. I had the lens set at 1.7 when I tried it so I thought it would work like my Chinon which had M mode for diaphragm but setting larger F-number didn't do anything. Well at least M-mode green button gives correct metering with every aperture. No biggie.

09-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #9

Original Poster
OK, great. For $50 bucks shipped including a Tiffen UV, I think I getting a bargain. I'm actually hoping it will help me learn more about my K200d which is what some guys have said here. Then who knows, maybe the slow switch over to primes.
09-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

i have this lens. not one, but two

lovely lens. youll like it.
09-23-2008, 12:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

i have this for my ME Super and i friggin love it