Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #1

DA 35mm 2.4 or 50 1.8 for first non kit lens and concert/bar band photography

First off, I read plenty of vs for these lenses in many forums found through google, but non had suited my needs, so I apologise for making another

After getting back in to photography, I picked up the strong desire to do concert photos. On my first outing, I learned just how hard it is with a kit lens!
So I started looking at the da 50 and 35 lenses to get sharper low light photos. But as it's been about 10 years since I've used a camera with a fast lens, I'm stuck on which one I would need first, which would help the most.

My camera is a K-x I bought right when it came out. And majority of what I will shoot will be metal and hard rock/punk bands, typically fast movers, in poorly lit bars. Some of which with a lot of neon beer signs as backlights, some with a couple dim overhead lights. Most cramped and up close and personal.

Most of my shots on my first outting were shot between half and full zoom, so about where both lenses would sit. Camera stuck on 3200 iso or lower in manual. The couple shots with flash turned out great, but I want to refrain from using it. Without, it was hit or miss on photos being clear, or soft and noisy after correction in post.

I do want better low light capability which pushes me towards the 50, but I also want to be able to get at least from the artists thighs and up, as they have a lot of expression in the legs with how they stand and move, making the 35 look like a better option. But I am not sure if it wide open would be enough in some bars.

I do also want to lower my iso and/or use less post processing to correct exposure as that added a lot of noise. Another benefit from either I found, is keeping crowd members out of focus, as I had quite a few funny looking faces popping up around the bands! Some could not be cropped out.

I can get the 35 right now for 90 bucks new as well. But I will eventually buy both. Just can't decide where to start.

To make things more fun, I do want to get one to my door before the 13th as my own band has a gig out of town, and I want to bring the K-x to shoot the other bands.

10-03-2018, 03:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
I did not find those. Thanks!
Been using my phone for research and some things got to funky to figure out.
10-03-2018, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by liaztraht Quote
I did not find those. Thanks!
Been using my phone for research and some things got to funky to figure out.
great thing about the forum

- members willing to help members

- lots of helpful stuff

good luck

10-03-2018, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both are fantastic. DA50 is faster and more portraity. DA35 is normal angle of view and might work better in smaller space.
10-03-2018, 04:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Unfortunately with the conditions you describe I think that you will still need a flash. If you shoot wide open you will have to consider your depth of field and you will probably still need high iso to get a reasonable shutter speed if it is possible. The one plus is you will get better IQ over the kit lens. Even if you still need to use a flash.
10-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by liaztraht Quote
Most cramped and up close and personal.
So, out of the two choices, wouldn't the DA35 make the most sense?

10-03-2018, 04:22 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
Unfortunately with the conditions you describe I think that you will still need a flash. If you shoot wide open you will have to consider your depth of field and you will probably still need high iso to get a reasonable shutter speed if it is possible. The one plus is you will get better IQ over the kit lens. Even if you still need to use a flash.
I don't know if I would ever use the 50 wide open, but my kit lens at max zoom of 55mm sticks to a smaller aperture of f5.6 or so at the widest. Can't remember as I don't have it with me right now. At the 18mm end, when it opens up to 3.5, it works much better. I could get good shots with that, but it was only useful for full band or, if standing close extra close, 2 members.

Maybe the 35 would be enough, and wide open should keep the background out of focus enough...

Still reading through the links posted, taking it all in.
10-03-2018, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
50 or 35 mm for a low light concert scene?

I can not tell you what lens to buy, but I can give you a shot comment on lenses I used to have which I hope it can help you make a decision. And
Take my comment with a grain of salt because I have never shot a concert but I do night Urban photo every weekend.

FA35 f2 - It is fast and sharp. It bokhe can be smooth and beautiful depending on what you have in the background. Useable sharp from f2, sharp from f2.2 and Its bleeding sharpness at around f4. Always use it with hood.

F28 f2.8- sharp wide open, beautiful rendering, but not easy to see it in the market.

(FA) 50 macro f2.8 - as far as I know, FA, F, DFA 50 macro are using the same optic design and they are very sharp, very nice rendering (i love it) but slow autofocus, not sure if it will be a good choice for concert shooting.

M50 f1.7 - manual focus, relatively cheap but super sharp, very well build. if you don't mind manual focus, this one could be one of the best you can find. (concerning image quality and price.)

DA*55 f1.4 - Many people complain about its slow autofocus, but I am very happy with its autofocus because I cam from FA50 macro. yes it is a bit slow for a modern lens but it hardly misfocus on my K3. it is a Star lens, so needless to say how good it is. Get this one and you will not have to envy any 50mm in the market accross all brand.
10-03-2018, 04:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The 50 will be too tight imo. Go as wide as you can. The Rok 14 would be good but out of budget.
10-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
50 or 35 mm for a low light concert scene?

I can not tell you what lens to buy, but I can give you a shot comment on lenses I used to have which I hope it can help you make a decision. And
Take my comment with a grain of salt because I have never shot a concert but I do night Urban photo every weekend.

FA35 f2 - It is fast and sharp. It bokhe can be smooth and beautiful depending on what you have in the background. Useable sharp from f2, sharp from f2.2 and Its bleeding sharpness at around f4. Always use it with hood.

F28 f2.8- sharp wide open, beautiful rendering, but not easy to see it in the market.

(FA) 50 macro f2.8 - as far as I know, FA, F, DFA 50 macro are using the same optic design and they are very sharp, very nice rendering (i love it) but slow autofocus, not sure if it will be a good choice for concert shooting.

M50 f1.7 - manual focus, relatively cheap but super sharp, very well build. if you don't mind manual focus, this one could be one of the best you can find. (concerning image quality and price.)

DA*55 f1.4 - Many people complain about its slow autofocus, but I am very happy with its autofocus because I cam from FA50 macro. yes it is a bit slow for a modern lens but it hardly misfocus on my K3. it is a Star lens, so needless to say how good it is. Get this one and you will not have to envy any 50mm in the market accross all brand.
Thank you for the insight! I have been looking through used lenses, even considered manual focus with swapping in an inexpensive focus screen, but trying get both would require a bit of lengthy shipping to keep costs down (Chinese split prism). The stock screen is difficult to use for manual.

I did find a couple 28s, albeit on the upper end price wise, but mostly 50s. Some great condition manual 50s of various speeds for dirt cheap too.
10-03-2018, 05:47 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can't beat a fast fifty. It's a useful focal length on crop for low light concert shots. I've had good use out of my DA*55 in just that sort of setting.

10-03-2018, 06:07 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You can't beat a fast fifty. It's a useful focal length on crop for low light concert shots. I've had good use out of my DA*55 in just that sort of setting.
Great shot there!
10-03-2018, 06:07 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Start with the 35, you can always crop.... but the 50 1.8 will give you better auto-focus in low light, providing more light for the AF system. The 35 2.4 is more like a 2.8 lens than an ƒ1.8 lens.

The 1.8 can focus almost anywhere/. The bat cave at Bird Kingdom in Niagara Falls.

10-03-2018, 07:51 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Also, an upgrade to a used KS2 will give you a huge improvement in low light focusing and also much nicer high ISO performance.