Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2018, 09:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I'm sure Ricoh would do very well selling a new revamped version of the 16-50, with the latest autofocus tech .... So long as they did not label it SDM anymore. I do think new versions of some of the older classics would make good sense.

As it stands, someone like me who's been around the forums now for 6-7 years, well I just automatically ignore the older SDM types because of the reputation for the focus motor failures. A converted screw drive example at a good discount would be tempting however.

10-04-2018, 09:37 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I'm sure Ricoh would do very well selling a new revamped version of the 16-50, with the latest autofocus tech .... So long as they did not label it SDM anymore. I do think new versions of some of the older classics would make good sense.

As it stands, someone like me who's been around the forums now for 6-7 years, well I just automatically ignore the older SDM types because of the reputation for the focus motor failures. A converted screw drive example at a good discount would be tempting however.
Pentax (Sun Camera) generally gets my lenses back to me in a couple of weeks after i send them in for repair and cleaning... it's just not an issue.. again in my opinion. Tamron and Sigma have had slower turn around times and both have neglected to deal with decnethred lenses by ignoring the request and fixing what they could. Sure the repair was free under warranty, but what good is that if they don't fix the lenses? You pays your money and you take your pick. And they were much slower than Sun Camera.
10-04-2018, 12:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Many of the best shooters on the forum share that opinion.
i actually bought 2. Both used. the first broke the zoom and is stuck at 16mm. Was not economical to repair, so i found another with a broken SDM. On a risk, i bought a new SDM motor and disassembled the lens and soldered in the new motor. Works perfect.

At some point i might try a repair on the first lens. The broken one in the classified is calling my name pretty hard.
10-04-2018, 01:31 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax (Sun Camera) generally gets my lenses back to me in a couple of weeks after i send them in for repair and cleaning... it's just not an issue.. again in my opinion. Tamron and Sigma have had slower turn around times and both have neglected to deal with decnethred lenses by ignoring the request and fixing what they could. Sure the repair was free under warranty, but what good is that if they don't fix the lenses? You pays your money and you take your pick. And they were much slower than Sun Camera.
Precision in the USA started off on the wrong foot. They really were very hard to deal with and quite disorganized - but to their credit I don't hear the same level of chaos and confusion in the stories I have been seeing this year but I also do not have statistical info to say that they are improved.

10-04-2018, 05:45 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
My own personal copy of the Sigma 17-50 just doesn't render distance in landscapes well. Everything at distance turns to mush.Close-ups of nature and people are great.

This drove me to buy a Pentax 16-85 which renders landscapes extremely well. With a K-70 sensor, the 16-85's much slower speed is a nonissue. Might be an issue on a K-5
Not an issue I've encountered on the K3, was already impressed with the 17-70 on the K3 but needed stopping down to be properly sharp (F4 or F5.6, not really an issue), The 17-50 from the two weeks I've had it has impressed.
But, as I said, I think all three are damn good lenses which would fit the bill. The differences are marginal between them.
10-04-2018, 09:37 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have some fine Pentax lenses, like the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 and find no problem pairing the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 with it. The Sigma is not built on-par with that excellent Pentax, but its build quality is really quite good. The zoom collar turning the other direction is not a bother for me.
10-07-2018, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm convinced a second hand DA*16-50 will be better for us, than either the Tamron or the Sigma bought new.
And the good news is that the much publicized sdm issues have driven down the used lens prices. FWIW, I've had my 16-50 since 2008. It's my go-to lens and had spent a lot of time on my trusty K10D aboard my 20 ft boat in choppy water. It now works flawlessly attached to my KP. (Knocking on wood)

10-07-2018, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
And the good news is that the much publicized sdm issues have driven down the used lens prices. FWIW, I've had my 16-50 since 2008. It's my go-to lens and had spent a lot of time on my trusty K10D aboard my 20 ft boat in choppy water. It now works flawlessly attached to my KP. (Knocking on wood)
I own three Tamron lenses, one has failed.
I owned 4 Sigma lenses, 2 have failed.

I own 15 Pentad lenses. There have been no failures.

Of my 7 third party lenses, 3 have failed. Go third party if you want, but in my experience you're going to have to replace close to half of them within 5 years if you are a heavy user. Personally, I'm never going that route again. If you don't learn from your mistakes, you repeat them and the fact that the Tamron 17-50 or Sigma 18-250 were cheaper makes no difference if 5 years later you don't have a functional lens and have to purchase another lens.

Right now with our decentered 17-50 ruining Tess' landscapes, I'm thinking 16-50 or 16-85 depending on how much she wants ƒ2.8. Third party manufacturers need not apply. Anything to stop her taking my DA 28-105 all the time.
10-07-2018, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I reprogram the DA* sdm lenses that have dual drive and so I see a fair number of faulty lenses but not as many as I would think if the problem was as widespread as people think.
10-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also have a FF Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG which I've had for numerous years. No problems with it except the lens hood now just snugs into place instead of snapping more solidly on. I could hardly say no to the price- around $200 for new left-over stock. It delivers very good results, and I've gotten lots of use from it. For an even longer time, I've had a Tokina ATX AF 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 Pro II, which is built like a battleship. I used it on my Pentax 35mm film bodies. If I ever get a K-1 or a forthcoming Pentax FF model, it will again see more service. Another FF lens from film use is my Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG which is quite well built. As for Tamron, certain Pentax lenses, including some premium models, are actually rebadged Tamron lenses with Pentax coatings.

But I have other fine lenses that are not as fast, therefore smaller and lighter. So why should I take heavier fast glass when I don't need the f/2.8- yet when I do need that for low light and/or fast-action shots needing higher shutter speeds, then nothing else will do.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-07-2018 at 06:29 PM.
10-08-2018, 09:25 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG which is quite well built.
You wouldn't believe how quickly those lenses disappeared from the used market when the K-1 was introduced.
10-08-2018, 12:24 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I have generally stuck with Pentax, Takumar lenses throughout the many years I've used Pentax. In the 1970's I bought a 35mm F 3.5 and a 90-230mm lens...made by a company other than Pentax. Why ? They were cheaper. I never had any malfunctioning issues with these two non Pentax lenses, but I was never happy with their performance, compared to the satisfaction I got from my Takumar / Pentax lenses. As a result they have sat on the shelf for many years, largely forgotten. The 35mm in particular, was about $ 40 cheaper than a new Takumar 35 F 3.5 lens. Doesn't sound like much now, but back in the '70's...40 bucks was real money. I kid you not. I can't tell you how much I've regretted over the years not buying that Takumar 35mm lens.

So since then I've always bought either Takumar or Pentax lenses. I made one exception. Some years ago I bought new, a Sigma 150-500, as I wanted more telephoto than my Pentax 55-300. I haven't regretted the Sigma, but I do take very good care of it, much like I do with the rest of my photographic equipment. Will it last as long as a Pentax lens ? I dunno. I hemmed and hawed over whether I should buy the Sigma, before I finally bit the bullet. At the time Pentax didn't have a new 400-500mm lens available.

On the other hand I have a plethora of Pentax and Takumar lenses which function very well, with the exception of one and that was my fault. It was mounted on my K10D body fell out of my camera case and landed on the lens. I got it fixed and it's ok now. The K10D was fine.