Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Tamron Ricoh XR-P adapter

Hi there, brand new to the forum, have had my 10D since March. I work in the photo biz, could have bought anything, have no regrets on this choice. Anyways, am considering a Tammy 90mm early manual focus macro, understand that I really want a K/A adapter, but not willing to cough up somewhere around $150 for an adapter! Came across a Ricoh version, which I know is K mount, but being the "program" version, would this be the same thing as the K/A mount????
Thanks for any information.

Regards, Terry.

09-22-2008, 11:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ricoh XR-P mount is also K mount like the Pentax, but the 'A' contact for Ricoh is not the same as the Pentax A (6 contacts at different locations). Some XR-P mount lenses would jam on Pentax KAF mount, but I am not sure if this particular Tamron mount would have the same problem. If not, then it can be used on Pentax DSLRs with stop down metering in M mode.
09-23-2008, 02:35 AM   #3
Forum Member

so the gist of it is, you're probably better off getting the newer tamron 90mm AF which is about 400US anyways

that is of course unless you can get the old tamron 90mm basically for free?
the last ones on sale in the forum were about 200 so that plus the 150 for the adapter and you can understand what im saying.
09-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nguy59 Quote
Hi there, brand new to the forum, have had my 10D since March. I work in the photo biz, could have bought anything, have no regrets on this choice. Anyways, am considering a Tammy 90mm early manual focus macro, understand that I really want a K/A adapter, but not willing to cough up somewhere around $150 for an adapter! Came across a Ricoh version, which I know is K mount, but being the "program" version, would this be the same thing as the K/A mount????
Thanks for any information.

Regards, Terry.
Do not, I repeat, do not mount the Adaptall-2 Ricoh adapter on your K10D! It is not the same as the K/A mount and may potentially jam on the body and be very difficult to remove!

Steve

09-23-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks !

Very much appreciate the quick responses to this question, and the advice. Will steer clear of the Ricoh adapter!!.

Terry.
09-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The old manual P mount Ricoh lenses are real nice I have 2 I just love, but the XR line shouldn't be used on Pentax camera's.
Welcome to the zone.
09-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Well I'll be the contrarian, I guess.

There IS A RISK to using Ricoh automatic lenses on your Pentax body. But not all of them jam or get stuck. I have several Ricoh-mount lenses that all work perfectly fine on my K20D (in manual mode -- the automatic functions DON'T carry over):

Rikenon 50mm f/2.0
ATAN 70-210mm f/3.5 Macro
Vivitar 2x Macro Focusing Teleconverter (this is a dual Ricoh-Pentax mount)
Tokina 28-70mm (just sold this one, actually)

None of them ever got stuck.

That having been said, be careful. The Tamron adapter might work, or it might not. Try it at your own risk. If it does get stuck, there are ways of getting it unstuck (search Google for "ricoh pin pentax") and then you can remove the offending "Ricoh pin" so it doesn't get stuck again.

It's up to you to decide whether the loss of automatic aperture and the trouble of dealing with the Ricoh pin are sufficient to avoid the $150 Pentax adapter.
09-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hold on a minute - it's a good point about the RK adaptall, it may or may not pose a problem - but your other alternative isn't the made-of-solid-gold K-A. The plain K adaptalls are reasonably priced, and work just the same as the R-K would: in manual mode. In addition, there are plenty of screw mount adaptalls, of the Pentax and Fuji varieties, that work fine provided you have the screw-to-K adaptor.

09-23-2008, 11:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Hold on a minute - it's a good point about the RK adaptall, it may or may not pose a problem - but your other alternative isn't the made-of-solid-gold K-A. The plain K adaptalls are reasonably priced, and work just the same as the R-K would: in manual mode. In addition, there are plenty of screw mount adaptalls, of the Pentax and Fuji varieties, that work fine provided you have the screw-to-K adaptor.
I owned a Adaptall-2 RK adapter for a short period of time and can confirm that it is NOT compatible with Pentax AF cameras.

I will second the notion that the best solution is to forget about the KA mount in favor of the KM. I have both versions and would not go out of my way to get another KA, unless it was dirt cheap.

Oh, one other note. The Adaptall-2 M42 mount will not work well with the M42/K-mount adapter. I tried that approach as well. The Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses lack the Auto/Manual switch. Mounting the lens with the M42 mount and the M42 adapter results in a lens that is stuck at maximum aperture, even when shooting in M-mode.

Steve
09-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Oh, one other note. The Adaptall-2 M42 mount will not work well with the M42/K-mount adapter. I tried that approach as well. The Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses lack the Auto/Manual switch. Mounting the lens with the M42 mount and the M42 adapter results in a lens that is stuck at maximum aperture, even when shooting in M-mode.

Steve
Steve, good point! I'd forgotten that, I use the M42 with my screw mount cameras.

I do hear however that people attack their M42 adaptalls to disable the stop down and make them essentially preset mounts...