Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2018, 04:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A rare Super takumar 50.14 eight elements?

Hi folks

here there are 3 super takumars 50.14 , first is a eight elements: infrared mark is at right side of number 4, it has "M" and "A" and it has not any yellowish tint.
third is a normal 7 elements : infrared mark is on the left side of number 4, "MANUAL" and "AUTO", it has a yellowish tint and it has a withe dot near 1.4

In the midle of both ther is a rare one: infrared mark is on the left side of number 4 , IT HAS "M" and "A" , it has a yellow tint and it has not the dot near 1.4, the rear element protrusion is bigger than the eight elements

what is it ? is it rare a radioactive 8 elements or not?

thanks

Attached Images

10-05-2018, 05:28 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you have a photo of the rear elements without lens caps on?
10-05-2018, 05:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Could you give us the model numbers for each lens? Should be stamped on the auto/manual switches.
10-05-2018, 05:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i believe some where there is a thread discussing the cross over between the 8 element and 7 element in production, and while the infra red focusing dot and the A/M switch are indicators,there are some hybrid lenses where the 8 element parts appear on early versions of 7 element lens. The only definitive identifiers of 7 element vs 8 element are the physical shape of the rear element, AND the weight, the 7 element is 230 grams vs 245 grams for the 8 element. the weight is definitive, but usually you don't have the physical sample in your hands, so shape of the rear element is what people use.

10-05-2018, 05:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very interesting. I think yellowing happens in both 7 and 8 element versions. Based on the serial number (above 15XXXXX), and the red mark I would say it is a 7 element with features of the other version (e.g. 2 between 2.8 and 1.4). I think there is also a difference in weight so you could weight them (or disassemble them to count the elements )
10-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Very interesting. I think yellowing happens in both 7 and 8 element versions. Based on the serial number (above 15XXXXX), and the red mark I would say it is a 7 element with features of the other version (e.g. 2 between 2.8 and 1.4). I think there is also a difference in weight so you could weight them (or disassemble them to count the elements )
Yellowing does not occur with the 8-element version. The coatings may appear to be yellow/amber.

The only sure way to tell is to look at the rear element. The 7-element lens will have a flat non-protruding rear element, the 8-element will have a rounded protruding rear element.

The serial # isn't a sure way to tell, but 157xxxx is in the 8-element range. That and the IR mark being between the 4 and diamond is a pretty good indicator that it is 8-element...
10-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Could you give us the model numbers for each lens? Should be stamped on the auto/manual switches.
But not always. My 8-element has no model number on the switch.

10-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Very interesting. I think yellowing happens in both 7 and 8 element versions.
That is my understanding as well, though verified owners have stated that their 8-element lenses do not have radiation-induced yellowing. As noted above, the rear element shape and weight are definitive.

Note: All three lenses in the original post have apparent yellowing as evidenced by the appearance of the background as viewed through the lens, though perhaps somewhat less on the top example. A naked view of the rear elements of all three is in order.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-05-2018 at 09:21 AM.
10-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian

As far as I know, and from what I have seen looking for an 8-elements at a decent price (which took a long time!), there are no yellowed 8-elements Super Takumars.
Pictures can be misleading. The yellowing can be seen if the lens is against a white background, possibly with diffused light. Other way what you see is the colour of the coating, which of course also depends on the temperature of the light it reflects...
10-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks , on the híbrid , the rear element look like the 7 elements and on the switch is marked "37800", my 7 elements is marqued 37801, and y 8 elements has no any number on the switch
weights: 8 elements 245g , 7 elements 237 grams , hibryd 230 grams

I think is an early 7 elements with some components from the 8 elements series. A M and aperture ring.
Attached Images

10-05-2018, 10:33 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The middle lens is just an early 7-element. Nothing really special about it...It's not really early either. There were 7-element Super Taks with 15xxxxx serial numbers lower than the late 8-element lenses.
10-05-2018, 01:43 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Yellowing does not occur with the 8-element version. The coatings may appear to be yellow/amber.
That was my understanding as well, but I was told in the past that this wasn't the case. At this point I don't know.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The serial # isn't a sure way to tell, but 157xxxx is in the 8-element range. That and the IR mark being between the 4 and diamond is a pretty good indicator that it is 8-element...
Yes, I was talking about the other one (17XXXX)