Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2018, 07:09 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Tamron 70-200 or a Sigma 70-200 HSM II for figure skating shoot?

My niece is competing in her last college skating competition in November and I was thinking of getting a used 70-200 2.8 to photograph her with my K-70.

I would be buying a used lens and then reselling it after the competition.(That will be less money than renting something for a couple of weeks).

Any suggestions for one over the other and any tips for shooting? Thanks.

Last edited by bladerunner6; 10-05-2018 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Typo
10-05-2018, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
is 200mm long enough for this shoot?
10-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Tamron is noisy and a bit slow to focus. The IQ is amazing and it focuses very closely. I bought my Tamron for an event with plans to sell it. I still have it because it’s so good at so many things. It’s my go-to for butterflies and flowers and portraits.
10-05-2018, 08:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
is 200mm long enough for this shoot?
It is indoors and my assumption is I will want the speed.

I will also bring my my 55-300 WR but I am guessing I will want the fast lens.

10-05-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Depending on how far you will be sitting from the rink, and your niece more specifically, you may find yourself basically at infinity. The bit of +/- distance change as she skates around the rink will only cause the focus throw to wobble a tiny bit. You shouldn't have too many problems with that. The screw drive motor will make little zt-zt-zt-zt sounds as you track her across the rink. You could probably get away with release priority for panning.

Now, if she starts skating toward you before turning then you may be in trouble. You find yourself fighting the slow screw drive motor, the weak AF-C algorithms, and the low light of an indoor arena. Set your camera to focus priority. No use filling up your SD card with soft, out of focus images of oncoming subjects. Set your camera to TAv mode with auto ISO. T = 1/1000 or faster to freeze the motion as you pan precisely. A = f/3.2 for a bit of DoF help.

On an APS system 200mm will give you FF reach of 300mm. That may be enough.
10-05-2018, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery
Unless you want a photo the skater doing a bow/curtsey and the end of the performance with the crowd giving a standing ovation all in focus, the idea is to shoot wide open (blur the background) at a faster shutter speed. The Tamron is a bit sharper wide open and the Sigma (which I own now) has a faster autofocus. There is a third option: rent the Pentax D FA* SMC 70-200mm f/2.8 ED DC AW Lens (it is sharp wide open) and spend your money on something else. The problem with a used lens is that you have no idea if it is off-centered, a "bad copy," etc. I've returned quite a few over the years. The better rental outfits, e.g. Borrow Lenses, make sure the equipment is in good order.

Last edited by quant2325; 10-05-2018 at 01:04 PM.
10-05-2018, 10:00 PM   #7
Brooke Meyer

Technique is a big deal here. I recommend you use the rear AF button and track her with a single center focus point in AF-C. And use manual. The rink lighting won't change much, maybe way in the corner. Also turn off SR above 1/400, you don't need it, it will just slow things down. And use Raw.

10-11-2018, 04:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I would like to say thanks for all the constructive comments.
10-11-2018, 06:01 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
My niece is competing in her last college skating competition in November and I was thinking of getting a used 70-200 2.8 to photograph her with my K-70.

I would be buying a used lens and then reselling it after the competition.(That will be less money than renting something for a couple of weeks).

Any suggestions for one over the other and any tips for shooting? Thanks.
are you sure about the cost savings ???

consider renting equipment instead of buying

I have used LensRentals.com with good results

LensRentals.com - Rent a Pentax HD D FA 70-200mm f/2.8 ED DC AW

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-d-fa-star-70-200mm-f28/conclusion.html

apparently they don't have the Sigma or Tamron in Pentax K mount but I would contact them to check

there are other companies as well:

QuoteOriginally posted by quant2325 Quote
. . . There is a third option: rent the Pentax D FA* SMC 70-200mm f/2.8 ED DC AW Lens (it is sharp wide open) and spend your money on something else. The problem with a used lens is that you have no idea if it is off-centered, a "bad copy," etc. I've returned quite a few over the years. The better rental outfits, e.g. Borrow Lenses, make sure the equipment is in good order.
be sure to get the rental in enough time for you to get use to the lens

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-11-2018 at 06:07 AM.
10-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
are you sure about the cost savings ???

consider renting equipment instead of buying

I have used LensRentals.com with good results

LensRentals.com - Rent a Pentax HD D FA 70-200mm f/2.8 ED DC AW

HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews

apparently they don't have the Sigma or Tamron in Pentax K mount but I would contact them to check

there are other companies as well:

be sure to get the rental in enough time for you to get use to the lens
Yes, I am sure of the cost savings.

I want the lens to practice with before the skate.

A two week rental is $221,a three week rental is $296.
I can definitely buy and resell a lens for less than that out of my pocket.

The lens is showing up this week.
10-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Yes, I am sure of the cost savings.

I want the lens to practice with before the skate.

A two week rental is $221,a three week rental is $296.
I can definitely buy and resell a lens for less than that out of my pocket.

The lens is showing up this week.
good luck on the project