Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
You might be right between the old DG and old DG Macro but this is not the same as the one above.
I'm specifically thinking about comments from people who owned the DG vs. DG Macro. AKA, Sigma 70-200/2.8 versions 2 and 3 (version 1 wasn't DG IIRC).
I haven't seen anyone compare version 2 with version 4 (the HSM version you have).

What I'd love to see is a 100% crop comparison of version 4 with the Tamron 70-200/2.8. The Tamron seems to have pretty extreme softness from 100-140mm.

09-23-2008, 07:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I think that pushing the design to be able to focus closer for non macro lenses is not beneficial for the quality of images @ normal distances - let macro work be left for macro lenses... also watch Cameta Camera for cheap Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX DG Macro soon now that it is being retired
09-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Leave it to imaging-resource to get us more useful info than dpreview :-P
YouTube - New products from Sigma: Imaging Resource at Photokina 2008

Summary:
- old lens used a front focusing design that wasn't that sharp up close but was good for landscapes (in effect, it was a good landscape FF lens)
- the new design uses a floating element design which will be sharp up close but not as sharp for landscapes, so it'll be good for a portrait lens
- availability is December
Sounds like it's worth waiting for if you're looking for something in this range (as I am so I can avoid Tamron roulette again :-)
09-29-2008, 08:43 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Leave it to imaging-resource to get us more useful info than dpreview :-P
YouTube - New products from Sigma: Imaging Resource at Photokina 2008

Summary:
- old lens used a front focusing design that wasn't that sharp up close but was good for landscapes (in effect, it was a good landscape FF lens)
- the new design uses a floating element design which will be sharp up close but not as sharp for landscapes, so it'll be good for a portrait lens
- availability is December
Sounds like it's worth waiting for if you're looking for something in this range (as I am so I can avoid Tamron roulette again :-)
I'd prefer good for portrait/landscape distances vs good for macro/portrait distances... it is like w/ brakes - you can't have low noise/low dust/good stopping power at once.