Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2018, 10:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Opinions on Ricoh XR Rikenon Fisheye 2.8 16mm ?

Hi, does anyone have experience with the Ricoh XR Rikenon Fisheye 2.8 16mm?

It has a K-mount, no Ricoh pin and on DSLR one would need green button measuring. There is almost no information on the web, at least I am unable to find it. There is one review here (havent found anything else on PF) and some pictures taken with on pentaxians.de. Looks like its a not so bad option but some first-hand experience would be nice... The lens is difficult to find anyhow.

10-11-2018, 01:03 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
Hi, does anyone have experience with the Ricoh XR Rikenon Fisheye 2.8 16mm?

It has a K-mount, no Ricoh pin and on DSLR one would need green button measuring. There is almost no information on the web, at least I am unable to find it. There is one review here (havent found anything else on PF) and some pictures taken with on pentaxians.de. Looks like its a not so bad option but some first-hand experience would be nice... The lens is difficult to find anyhow.
There's one review on the pentaxian forum as well, but it's in german. You have to be registered to see the pictures though: https://www.pentaxians.de/40456504nx51499/lens-clubs-f46/ricoh-xr-rikenon-fi...ub-t23186.html Maybe that helps.

Cheers,
Ralf
10-11-2018, 01:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rullrich Quote
There's one review on the pentaxian forum as well, but it's in german. You have to be registered to see the pictures though: Ricoh XR Rikenon Fisheye 16mm / F2.8 - Lens Club* ? Pentaxians Maybe that helps.

Cheers,
Ralf
Yes, thanks , I know that post, I was referring to that, actually. Hope some people here have some more experience with that lens...
10-11-2018, 03:38 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From my reading of the German forum, I would not buy it unless it was very, very inexpensive, it seems to be a love it or hate it lens.. I have an M42 mount Takumar 17mm FE, and I would not hesitate to recommend that lens, most copies cost about US $ 350, and worth every penny.

10-11-2018, 04:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm, thanks, didnt have such a bad impression from that post... but I am not in a hurry to buy one...
10-11-2018, 05:01 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

unless it was significantly cheaper than the DA 10-17, I don't think I'd be terribly interested...
10-11-2018, 05:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I want to to be FF...

10-11-2018, 06:01 AM   #8

Hmm, thanks, didnt have such a bad impression from that post...
Me neither. The author says that he liked it quite a lot (sharpness, CA, color rendition).
10-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

All I know is that it is an uncommon lens. If you found one for a reasonable price, I see no reason to not give it a try. XR-series Rikenons are usually quite good.

Steve
10-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I want to to be FF...
As mentioned, if you don't do this, keep an eye on eBay for the SMC 17/4. I picked mine up for a bit over $150. Someone's description didn't quite nail it and no one bid. So, if you're not in a rush, you might luck out.
10-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
As mentioned, if you don't do this, keep an eye on eBay for the SMC 17/4. I picked mine up for a bit over $150. Someone's description didn't quite nail it and no one bid. So, if you're not in a rush, you might luck out.
One cheaper alternative to look for as a FF ultrawide - but not a fisheye - is the Tokina 17mm. Mine has great colour and contrast, is very sharp. This has been great t o play around with and later to take some really good images. I bought it new in the 1980s.

There are some very positive comments on the forum under several topics as well as the user review section. This one would probably be about $100-150 on ebay.
10-11-2018, 09:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some SMC 17/4 have currently quite crazy prices in ebay (Germany). I'd consider some A-lens but these are even more expensive. For that money I'd probably buy a new Samyang. Ultra-wide is not what I seek ATM, it's fish-eye, for that effect. Since I probably dont use it too much, I'd prefer stay cheap, which is not easy.

That Rokinon might be the catch but so few pictures taken with it... maybe they didnt sell too many at the time so even fewer survived until today.
10-13-2018, 04:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd consider some A-lens but these are even more expensive. For that money I'd probably buy a new Samyang. Ultra-wide is not what I seek ATM, it's fish-eye, for that effect. Since I probably dont use it too much, I'd prefer stay cheap, which is not easy.
If you didn't want a fish-eye I'd add the Tamron SP 17mm to the Tokina 17mm as possible (affordable) rectilinear choice.
Two relatively cheap fish-eye lenses are the Zenitar and the old Sigma. Both are 16mm, while the Zenitar needs the green button procedure, the old MF version of the Sigma was also made in PKA version. I have one.
I used the Zenitar long ago, it was sold only because I wanted to get an "A" lens for the Super A, so I purchased the Sigma Filtermatic 2.8/16mm.
Both are good lenses, that would serve you well. Just set the diaphragm at f/8 and focus in hyperfocal using the marks.
The Sigma "Filtermatic" stayed substantially the same through a few different aesthetic updates, and can be found in PK and PKA versions.
It has the filter (which is a must, the clear filter is part of the optical design!) at the middle of the objective. If you want to check its presence, or fit another filter in its place, you have to unlock the lens and open it in two halves.
Considering the age, it's a very good lens.
I haven't tested the Zenitar on digital, only film. It was long ago, but I still remember it was not a bad lens at all.
15/16mm fish-eye lenses are easier to use, and less affected by front/lateral light, than the 8mm ones (which give a circular image on FF).
Given your needs, I'd keep an eye on eBay. Maybe you can find a PKA version of the Sigma. It would probably be the best choice.

There is another fish-eye that seems to be quite good: Belomo Peleng 2.8/17mm.
It looks like a scaled down version of the Arsat 30mm fish-eye made for the Pentacon Six.
Unfortunately I don't think it has ever been made in PK mount, only M42 and Nikon.

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 10-13-2018 at 04:17 AM.
10-13-2018, 06:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the hint. From the reviews it looks like the Sigma is the same like the RIkenon?!
10-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks for the hint. From the reviews it looks like the Sigma is the same like the RIkenon?!
It might be, though the similarity does not mean the Rikenon was made by Sigma or even the other way around.

Steve