Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2018, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Brumtaffy Quote
Thanks to everyone for their helpful comments.

Incidentally the summary page of the 15-30 lens review from last year states ‘no filter thread’ as a con, in an otherwise glowing review HD Pentax-D FA 15-30mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Time will tell if I go for it 😀
Actually, I think some of the thinking behind the "no filter thread' type comments is antiquated.
With the trend of bulbous front elements, many UWA options don't have a filter thread, but that does not prevent filter mounting options to be available.
With ebay/amazon/taobao/aliexpress/etc, there are now plenty of mounting options for such lenses.

Screw on filters present their own set of problems like vignetting if the filter ring is too wide.

10-15-2018, 12:56 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Actually, I think some of the thinking behind the "no filter thread' type comments is antiquated.
With the trend of bulbous front elements, many UWA options don't have a filter thread, but that does not prevent filter mounting options to be available.
With ebay/amazon/taobao/aliexpress/etc, there are now plenty of mounting options for such lenses.

Screw on filters present their own set of problems like vignetting if the filter ring is too wide.
After making my post and reading all the kind words of reassurance and advice, I can you are spot on.

In relation to the 15-30, which of the options do users see as the best approach? Lee 150, or something else?
10-16-2018, 12:05 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brumtaffy Quote
After making my post and reading all the kind words of reassurance and advice, I can you are spot on.

In relation to the 15-30, which of the options do users see as the best approach? Lee 150, or something else?
I know my friend uses the Haida holder on his DFA15-30.
Similarly, I use the Haida holder with Samyang 14/2.8 option for my Samyang 14/2.8

I also use a Laowa holder for my Laowa 12/2.8.

I only use a 10 stop ND for both as it also allows me to use the back card technique to simulate a GND.