Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2018, 10:50 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This might be a dumb question but why not just take the filter off and do a test?

10-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
This might be a dumb question but why not just take the filter off and do a test?
Exactly what I intend to do, however....Has anyone found this highly rated lens to have unacceptable amount of flare?
10-14-2018, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrEarle Quote
Exactly what I intend to do, however....Has anyone found this highly rated lens to have unacceptable amount of flare?
It's not known for that, and I've been shooting with mine for several years without that problem (during which time, I can say that it generally earns its positive reputation). I mentioned my approach - with hood, without filter unless absolutely necessary. Tiffen filters are bad for flare. Next step, as you say, is to test with and without filter side by side

EDIT: In the years I've been on this forum, I don't recall anyone mentioning that they were getting significant flare from this lens, either. So you can safely assume it's not a general problem.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-14-2018 at 11:17 AM.
10-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I've shot lenses with bad fungus and coating damage and couldn't even get flare like that. Seems like a poorly made filter to me.

10-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #20

I have used this lens for about a year on my K-70, and it’s now my absolute favorite walk around lens, super sharp, very good auto focus, always used it with a Hoya PRO1 Digital Protector filter, and i never had any flare problems like those you discovered.
10-14-2018, 01:01 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Has anyone found this highly rated lens to have unacceptable amount of flare?
I believe that question is not pertinent to your poor results. If you get similar poor results without the filter, then chances are excellent there is a problem with your lens. There are three pages of reviews on this site, many of which feature examples from conditions that should create flare, none of which is objectionable. There is also an in-depth review that does not call out any particular issues of this sort indicates poorer performance compared to market competitors, but none for simple situations such as in your examples.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-15-2018 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Keeping it friendly
10-14-2018, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Mine never has.

10-14-2018, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I believe that question is not pertinent to your poor results. If you get similar poor results without the filter, then chances are excellent there is a problem with your lens. There are three pages of reviews on this site, many of which feature examples from conditions that should create flare, none of which is objectionable. There is also an in-depth review that does not call out any particular issues of this sort indicates poorer performance compared to market competitors, but none for simple situations such as in your examples.
I do tend believe the filter at fault and I will continue without it or try a better quality filter.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-15-2018 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Keeping it friendly
10-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

There will usually be some degree of light loss when using a CPL filter, even when using the best that are super-multicoated against flare. They would be best used to address certain situations and for certain effects. I am with others in saying do some shooting without the filter to better evaluate the lens, and phtoptimist gives good advice in dealing with the sun in general.
10-14-2018, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I shoot mine towards the sun or the sun is in the shot someplace, the lens will give me flare 90% of the time. This is with no filters and with a UV filter. I just live with it or keep moving till the flare is at the bottom and I can crop it out.
10-14-2018, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have this lens and also a Tiffen CPL, I have not noticed any unusual amount of flare with or without the CPL, really very little flare. I have had the filter since 2012, it may be a different version. I'll have to say that years ago I bought "kenko" filter on ebay that was an obvious counterfeit or factory reject, it hugely degraded the image quality of every exposure and I thought my DA 55-300 was a dud. I learned my lesson and will only buy filters from a reputable store. Definitely try it without the filter, an easy way to rule that out. Good luck.
10-15-2018, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, I have the lens and have not found any instances of unexpected flare. And when I do see flare, I adjust my composition to minimize it to acceptable levels. It is my most used lens.
10-15-2018, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have this lens and have no issues with flare. I always, always use the hood, but then I do that with all my lenses.
10-16-2018, 01:08 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have this lens and it's excellent.

Don't use any filter unless you have a specific purpose and are willing to cope with its interference in certain scenarios.

I say that as a frequent CPL user, too, BTW.