Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2018, 08:04 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC FLARE PROBLEM

Has anyone found this highly rated lens to have unacceptable amount of flare?
I bought this as a primary lens for my K3II and discovering nearly every shot has some amount of flare. This is in ANY light situation. I do typically have a Tiffen CPL on it and wondering if it’s just a crappy filter or if the lense is defective OR typically flare prone? Right now I am hating it. What is a equivalent ‘better’ choice?

Last edited by MrEarle; 10-14-2018 at 08:13 AM.
10-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrEarle Quote
I bought this as a primary lens for my K3II and discovering nearly every shot has some amount of flare. This is in ANY light situation. I do typically have a Tiffany CPL on it and wondering if it’s just a crappy filter or if the lense is defective OR typically flare prone? Right now I am hating it. What is a equivalent ‘better’ choice?
do you have any shots that you could post as example?

please make sure that the EXIF data is intact...
10-14-2018, 08:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
do you have any shots that you could post as example?

please make sure that the EXIF data is intact...
Hi, looking for feedback with similar experience on this lens, I’m not posting examples for analysis- hope you understand
10-14-2018, 08:16 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A few ideas:

Step 1: Take shots with and without the CPL to see if the filter is to blame

Step 2: Take shots with and without the lens hood on to see if that helps.

Step 3: Inspect the lens with a flashlight for fogging, fungus, and heavy dust.

Step 4: (if needed) Change how you shoot to avoid bright light sources in the frame.

Good luck.

10-14-2018, 08:17 AM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, looking for feedback with similar experience on this lens, I’m not posting examples for analysis- hope you understand

I do understand, but my suggestion was to compare what your idea of 'too much' flare to someone else's - or perhaps your definition of 'flare' is different as well.....

no worries - just trying to help...
10-14-2018, 08:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
No offense, but seeking feedback from others users of this lens. - perhaps this category wasn’t correct for the question

Last edited by MrEarle; 10-14-2018 at 08:40 AM.
10-14-2018, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

If you won’t post example photos we can’t very well help you. That said, the PF staff did an extensive comparison between the Sigma, Tamron and Pentax lenses in this range, including flare.

DA* 16-50mm vs. Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Comparison Review - Image Quality: Flare | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The Tamron was rated best for flare.

For CPL filters, the B+W multicoated perform best for flare. The Hoyas do OK too. I don’t think that Tiffen filter is on the same level as B+W.

10-14-2018, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

How is the flare manifesting itself? Are you seeing artefacts and reflections, or an overall loss of contrast (veiling flare)? As others have said, it would help us to help you if you could provide some example shots

I use this lens quite frequently on my K-3 and K-3II. I wouldn't say it's an outstanding performer in terms of flare, but nor is it especially bad. About average. I always shoot mine with the original hood fitted, and most of the time without any filter attached. Depending on weather conditions, I occasionally fit a Hoya HMC Slim UV filter to protect the front element (from spray, sand etc.). I've had relatively few problems with flare, and nothing that a carefully-positioned hand couldn't resolve.

Tiffen's UV filters have a very poor reputation for flare. I don't know if their CPL filters are any better, but it's reasonable to assume they'll be just as bad. I think this is the most likely cause...

Have you done tests with and without hood, with and without filter, etc.?
10-14-2018, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Good luck on that one. Your lens is highly rated in regard to flare and failure in that respect usually means something like fungus, low quality filters, or unrealistic expectations. I would expect this thread to continue to include requests for what you mean by bad flare and to provide examples.

FWIW, the original post indicated that you are wondering if your filter is part of the problem. I guess that would be a request for analysis.

Steve
10-14-2018, 09:03 AM   #10

Original Poster
Ay yi, guys do you own & use this lens? I may or may not post examples when I have time, ‘for now’ I am seeking to find out from those of you that own/use this lens if you experience a lot of flare (anomalies of unexpected light reflections or defects caused by optical reflections)
10-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #11

Original Poster
the worst examples from yesterday, it was far worse in shade than full sunlight. I am leaning toward BigMackCam and suspecting the Tiffen CPL

Last edited by MrEarle; 10-14-2018 at 05:05 PM.
10-14-2018, 09:49 AM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

the worst examples from yesterday, it was far worse in shade than full sunlight. I am leaning toward BigMackCam and suspecting the Tiffen CPL
I'd put good money on that being caused by the filter...

EDIT: I just noticed the three-colour stripe in shot #2... That's weird; never seen anything like that
10-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
In my Basic Photography Class, I recommend using filters only when there is a specific reason. For example, adding an ND filter to use large apertures in bright sun with non HSS flash. CPLs in particular are tricky as they can vignette exposure on wide angles. And are most effective when perpendicular to the Sun. And they need to be adjusted which explains the pop out slots in Pentax lens hoods.

Adding another piece of glass with an air gap in front of your lens element greatly increases the probability that light will enter at one angle, get bent and spread a bit like a prism due to the change in media density and then enter the front lens element at another angle, bouncing around the inside of your lens barrel.

In open shade, I don't know of a reason to use a CPL unless it was a wet forest with lots of glare.
Before digital, it was my habit to leave the cpl on 99% of the time for general purpose, *never* had any issue. Of course never had a piece of glass this large either. But the question was - do you have a similar experience with this lens?
10-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In all three cases the sun is shining toward the lens and camera. It's worth noting that the sun is about 100,000 times brighter than the sunlit ground and potentially 10 million times brighter subjects in deep shade. Even the best lens coatings can't prevent all flare.

The photographer might think they are in the shade, but even the smallest sun dapple directly striking the front element of the lens will create flare. In such conditions, the lens hood is very helpful although sometimes a judiciously placed hand or dark piece of paper can block the sun.

The other solution is to make sure the sun is high enough in the sky, far enough to the side, or is behind the camera so that absolutely no sunlight strikes the front element.
10-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
In all three cases the sun is shining toward the lens and camera. It's worth noting that the sun is about 100,000 times brighter than the sunlit ground and potentially 10 million times brighter subjects in deep shade. Even the best lens coatings can't prevent all flare.

The photographer might think they are in the shade, but even the smallest sun dapple directly striking the front element of the lens will create flare. In such conditions, the lens hood is very helpful although sometimes a judiciously placed hand or dark piece of paper can block the sun.

The other solution is to make sure the sun is high enough in the sky, far enough to the side, or is behind the camera so that absolutely no sunlight strikes the front element.