Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What are the chances that the DA* 11-18mm will be FF compatible?

There are a good amount of DA lenses that have a full-frame image circle even though they are designated as a 'designed for crop-sensor' lens.

What do you think the chances are that the soon to be released DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 will also throw a full-frame image circle?

Last edited by FozzFoster; 10-16-2018 at 01:01 PM.
10-16-2018, 01:05 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably next to none- have you seen a FF 11mm? But based on prior lenses, I'd be willing to bet that it might give some coverage later on in the zoom range.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-16-2018, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A zoom lens can only get the FF designation if all focal lenths at all apertures offer the fullframe image circle. Since the filter thread of the DA*11-18 is 82mm, I guess the chances are good that it offers the FF image circle partially like the DA12-24. We‘ll see.
10-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
have you seen a FF 11mm
Isn't Canon's EF 11-24mm f/4 full-frame? I'm not sure!

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
A zoom lens can only get the FF designation if all focal lenths at all apertures offer the fullframe image circle.
Thanks for this info! That's a good qualifier! There's a good chance that it will cover some portion outside of the crop image circle then!

10-16-2018, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

The only reason they designated some FF lenses as DA (rather than DFA) is because they didn't offer a FF digital camera until the K1, so ALL their new lenses were meant for APS-C, whether they covered a larger circle or not.

I would not expect any new DA lenses to properly cover FF - they will be DFA if they do.
10-16-2018, 01:37 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with Adam. It might come close at some (most likely longer) focal lengths, but I don't understand why anyone would consider that to be important.

Buying an expensive, top quality crop lens so it can be a marginal performer on full frame doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, no one outside of Ricoh knows the answer, so this is all pure speculation.
10-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #7
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canid Quote
because they didn't offer a FF digital camera until the K1
I guess this is my point - it's curious to me why Pentax would offer a lens exclusively for APSC when the two formats share the same mount? - especially after they have a digital FF released. Why not make it FF and the APSC shooters can use it too?

It would be cheaper/lighter I guess, but I'd be a bit cheesed if I had a FF and an APSC-exclusive lens was released that utilizes the same mount..!

10-16-2018, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The DA 10-17 fisheye covers FF from about 15mm upward.

A FF 11mm needs to be very big (look at the Irix). There is no chance that a (hopefully) relatively compact APS-C 11-18 would manage it at the short end.

---------- Post added 17-10-18 at 09:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Yes, it is. 1180 g and $2700.
10-16-2018, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd be a bit cheesed if I had a FF and an APSC-exclusive lens was released that utilizes the same mount..!
I have a full frame camera, and I absolutely love my little crop lenses. Two ecosystems sharing a common mount is wonderful.
10-16-2018, 06:32 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

What do you think the chances are that the soon to be released DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 will also throw a full-frame image circle?
You mean throughout its entire range? Zero. And even if it "covers" FF image circle at the long end of the zoom, will it really cover it all that well. My DA 10-17 "covers" the K-1's FF sensor from a little past 14mm to 17mm. But I can capture more detail (particularly toward the edges) shooting the same lens on APS-C.
10-16-2018, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

I guess this is my point - it's curious to me why Pentax would offer a lens exclusively for APSC when the two formats share the same mount? - especially after they have a digital FF released. Why not make it FF and the APSC shooters can use it too?

It would be cheaper/lighter I guess, but I'd be a bit cheesed if I had a FF and an APSC-exclusive lens was released that utilizes the same mount..!
Weight (and size):

FF - Sony 12-24mm f/4 - 565 g

FF - Sigma 12-24mm f/4 - 1.15 kg

Crop - Pentax 12-24mm f/4 - 431 g
Crop - Nikon 12-24mm f/4 - 465 g

The same reason why, when I held a friend's FF camera in my hands, I knew it was not for me.

Sharing the same mount doesn't mean that they shouldn't build lenses that take advantage of the benefits of one system... it just makes moving around within the Pentax ecosystem easier - no adapters, no rebuilding your lens collection if you go from APSC to FF... upgrades, down grades, dual systems - everything works.
10-16-2018, 09:40 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

On UWA lenses it does not work well to design lenses for multiple formats, as a lens like this would be very extreme for FF and end up very expensive and massive in size. So the intended APS-C users would not be interested in that lens, and probably few FF users too.

DA* 11-18/2.8 is basically an APS-C equivalent of the existing DFA 15-30/2.8 for FF.

For tele it works much better designing lenses for multiple formats as the size does not differ as much and price does not have to increase as much.
10-16-2018, 10:12 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L covers full frame. People can look very, very wrong when photographed with a rectilinear 11mm. It is a niche lens, hence the high price tag.
10-17-2018, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

But the Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L is probably much cheaper than a Pentax DFA* 11-18/2.8 would be.
10-17-2018, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As for FF coverage of the image circle, I bet that Adam has nailed it. Anything else would be a big surprise, based on the constant F2.8 and known dimensions of the new lens, and on how the current DA12-24 and similar ultra-wideangle zooms behave.

Also, if you google-translate a bit of the related patent document which has been around for a while - discussed here, among other places: HD DA*11-18/2.8 patent was filed by Ricoh in Japan. - PentaxForums.com -, you get the sense that the focus is on an APS-C lens, even though FF conditions seem to be discussed as (theoretical?) variants, too.

Whatever may turn out to happen, I'd prefer the designers to keep the DA*11-18 as compact as possible without compromising the fast aperture and APS-C image quality. After all, FF is well covered with serious glass like the DFA15-30, and crop camera shooters deserve a dedicated high-grade UW zoom, too. Isn't it one of the strengths of the Pentax system that it has taken APS-C dedicated lenses and the size advantage they allow for seriously? Just my two bits.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 10-18-2018 at 02:39 AM.