Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

New Lensbabies

I got an email neswleatter from Lensbaby.com last night about their range of new lenses. The Composer (all new design), The Muse (V.2 upgrade) and The Control Freak (3G upgrade). They also released the new optic swap system with Pinhole, Single Glass, Plastic and Double Glass.

I have the Lensbaby 2.0 and don't see the point in upgrading to The Muse but The Composer looks damn sexy and the optic swaps seem really interesting and opens up new creative possibilities...hmmm, Chrismas present?

09-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
I got an email neswleatter from Lensbaby.com last night about their range of new lenses. The Composer (all new design), The Muse (V.2 upgrade) and The Control Freak (3G upgrade). They also released the new optic swap system with Pinhole, Single Glass, Plastic and Double Glass.

I have the Lensbaby 2.0 and don't see the point in upgrading to The Muse but The Composer looks damn sexy and the optic swaps seem really interesting and opens up new creative possibilities...hmmm, Chrismas present?
Well, what I have, is not something I would call an LBA, I'd like to think of it as a "NeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeD" for a photographic tool I can use to my advantage and continue explore that selective focus side with better control.

So yes, indeed, just added that to wish list for Christmas! I too own 2.0 and enjoyed it to a great extend, but I can definitely see the Composer in use!

Regards,
D
09-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

the composer loks spiffy.
09-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyone want to buy my Lensbaby 2.0?

09-24-2008, 04:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree that the Composer looks very spiffy indeed. I wish I had it instead of the 2.0, even though the 2.0 is a hell of a lot of fun.

No wonder they had a sale....

Pentax K20D
Lens Baby 2.0
probably f2.8

09-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I tried to love the lensbaby. I bought a 3G for a while but in the end I just couldn't get happy with it and returned it. I'd definately reconsider if they came out with a 'normal' optic for the composer, making it a tilt instead of the point spot. Getting warmer!
09-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Banned

the composer looks very interesting. and its quite a sexy design.

09-24-2008, 10:32 AM   #8

Gonna check that composer out.. just preordered
09-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love my Lens Baby original. So many things it can do. Will add one of their new lenses this year. Not sure which one. Love the interchangeable lens elements.
What is a zone plate?
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #10 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #11. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now.
09-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not really sure what a zone plate is but check out the optic comparison on the lensbaby site.

QuoteQuote:
Our Pinhole/Zone Plate optic lets you shift easily back and forth from pinhole to zone plate mode with your digital SLR by simply sliding a toggle inside the optic. In pinhole or zone plate mode, this optic insert achieves softer focus, dreamy images that are equally sharp from edge to edge. Part of the Lensbaby Optic Swap System.
09-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Zone plate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
09-24-2008, 09:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, sewebster for the link. Zone plate makes sense now. Alternating clear & opaque circles (like a target). Interesting. Didn't know that this would allow a photo to be made like a pinhole. Faster than pinhole but in the Lens Baby examples even softer!
Did see an article once describing a fisheye lens made by using a pinhole (hollow ball) filled with liquid! Wow. Would love to try making that some day.
Wonder if the Composer can do every thing the Control Freak can?

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #10 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #11. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now.
09-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike Cash, thats a great shot with the 2.0! Especially at night. Not easy to do.
Knew about a month ago that there were new lenses due at Photokina. Didn't know exactly what they would be. Bought an Original in case it went away (their lowest seller). Composer looks nice. Have to see if its as fun to use as LBO and 2.0 (3G isn't as easy to use hand held - for me).
thanks
barondla