Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2018, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I wonder how many would spend this money on a brand new and good quality film camera; I doubt this is something some kickstarted vaporware can deliver, it's not easy to make a camera.
I think quite a few...and not just hipsters, but some serious photographers too. Sure, you can pick up an LX at a reasonable cost, but you also pick up 30 years of aging components, servicing issues and non-existant spares.

Obviously, if you're new to camera manufacturing, it's a long haul to a working model. But for a serious manufacturer with the designs (and probably tooling) already in their vault, it actually would be quite easy. Swap the 80s electronics for modern microcontrollers, add a rechargeable battery and a few more modern functions and you're away. If you swap the mechanical shutter for an electronic one, you could have something really new and unparalleled. With the resurgence of film, one of the big players will do it soon, I'm sure.

10-20-2018, 04:55 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't really see the point of using the M42 mount, unless you are trying explicitly to duplicate the Takumar experience. There's a decent functional advantage to a bayonet mount compared to a screw-mount.
10-20-2018, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chazthebiker Quote
People buy M42 lenses for a few reasons:
Add one more to the list...
7. The lens has unique rendering.
I own about 15 M42 lenses. Most came attached to various bodies. Three were purchased as part of rounding out a four lens M42 kit. Three of the fifteen see regular use solely on the basis of their rendering. Those are:
  • LZOS MC Jupiter-9 85/2
  • KMZ Helios 44M 58/2
  • Auto Rikenon 50/1.7
Of those three, two were purchased specifically because for their rendering. The third came with a camera and was a surprise. One other that I bought based on reputation did not pan out, but I kept it anyway because it is pretty.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-20-2018 at 05:56 PM.
10-20-2018, 05:59 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Go the whole-hog and do preset rings.
My preference over the A/M switch for adapted use.

Steve

10-20-2018, 06:20 PM - 3 Likes   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I wonder how many would spend this money on a brand new and good quality film camera
I bought a Bessa R3M new from CameraQuest three years ago, does that count? I would have preferred a close-out deal on a Zeiss Ikon ZM with Biogon 35/2 a few years earlier, but missed that deal by procrastinating one day too long.

Steve
10-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
If it would be trivial for Samyang, why would it require a huge effort from Pentax to do likewise with the FA Ltds?
Easy - Because Samyang lenses are already designed for manual focus, and no one expects a premium look and feel - all they would have to do is make a different plate and an aperture ring without 'A' mode (maybe use one from the C/N/S versions), and they are done. Virtually no design changes to the lens or assembly tooling. Expectations would be much higher for a Pentax Limited - if they just slapped a different plate on the back and charged a premium for it, everyone would ask why they didn't make changes to optimize it for manual focusing, skinny focus rings, damping, focus throw, blah blah blah. No one would notice if Samyang did a quick-n-dirty conversion, but even the appearance of one would be a P/R black eye for Pentax.

I would also assume that buyers would want more modern glass than just the "three princesses", and anything designed in the last ten years would have to have an aperture ring added.

Last edited by THoog; 10-20-2018 at 08:01 PM.
10-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Add one more to the list...
7. The lens has unique rendering.
I own about 15 M42 lenses. Most came attached to various bodies. Three were purchased as part of rounding out a four lens M42 kit. Three of the fifteen see regular use solely on the basis of their rendering. Those are:
  • LZOS MC Jupiter-9 85/2
  • KMZ Helios 44M 58/2
  • Auto Rikenon 50/1.7
Of those three, two were purchased specifically because for their rendering. The third came with a camera and was a surprise. One other that I bought based on reputation did not pan out, but I kept it anyway because it is pretty.

Steve
I have the Helios 44-2. Great lens. I have a Jupiter 37A, not so great. As far as unique rendering goes... every lens line renders a little differently. So they are all unique. That isn't something confined to vintage lenses. But yes, we tend to buy what we personally like, which is totally subjective.

10-20-2018, 08:35 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chazthebiker Quote
As far as unique rendering goes... every lens line renders a little differently. So they are all unique.
Good point. I should have said, "particularly unique and personally desirable" or something similar.

Steve
10-28-2018, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm no fan of today's plastic fantastic lenses. I avoid them.
That said don't hold your breath. But still it's nice to dream.

Maybe stripped-down crippled versions of current models could be
branded "Severely Limited" - and sell for several times the price!

Chris
10-28-2018, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
With so many people adapting old lenses on all sorts of cameras, and with their M42 Takumar heritage, would it make sense for Ricoh/Pentax to revive the M42 mount, branding and form factor? The best of the current line-up (the FA Ltds & D-FA50/1.4), without the electronics and wrapped up in a retro Takumar barrel (similar to the DA20-40), the S-M-C Tak mount and A/M switch. Canon shooters are using the old lenses on their FF DSLRs, sometimes paying a premium over equivalent Canon EF lenses, so might there be a market for them as a high-end 'generic' lens line? I wouldn't mind an M42 version of my FA43 for my Spotmatics.
No thanks! They are perfect as is if you know how to use them.
10-28-2018, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Betteridge's law of headlines - Wikipedia :-

"Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no."