Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2018, 12:35 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I owned the SY 85 1.4 for the m43 mount before, it's a great lens. But focusing with the EVF was quite challenging sometimes, not sure how much harder it is with a normal OVF.

What did grab my interest though - the Pentax-A 70-210 F4. I looked around, and seems the IQ is very very good at f8-11 (which I typically use when I'm out doing landscape work). I might pick one up and give it a go, it's like $60, and if IQ is comparable to the Tammy 70-200 i'd rather carry 680g than more than 1kg with me
I learned with the Sammy 85 that LV is a far more preferable method to getting focus, the OVF just doesn't optically provide enough feedback on where something is in focus, you can turn the focus ring quite a lot and the image kinda 'looks the same' (though clearly a thin DoF is shifting around a fair bit). LV helps show this more.

10-25-2018, 01:15 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I learned with the Sammy 85 that LV is a far more preferable method to getting focus, the OVF just doesn't optically provide enough feedback on where something is in focus, you can turn the focus ring quite a lot and the image kinda 'looks the same' (though clearly a thin DoF is shifting around a fair bit). LV helps show this more.
Yeah, I see that LV would be much easier. I'm also considering Mitakon 85 1.2, since both manual, 1.2 seems tempting)
10-26-2018, 07:14 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Who cares about focus speed? We should care about AF tracking speed. I don't care how fast my lens goes from zero to infinity.

Still moden Pentax lenses feel faster and show less hunting. It is hard to quantify what fast really means. Tracking is more intersting, but involves a lot more than just AF engine performance. I would say that FA77 is not a fast focusing lens, but it is doing OK. DFA*50 feels fast - no worries what so ever. Long lens, low light, tracking, erratic movements - here yo can see differences, but defining a standard test just for the fun of it is far frome easy.
All new Pentax lenses - at least higher end ones - will get faster and more reliable. Cameras will offer faster and more reliable tracking. IS it fast enough for you - only you can decide.
Icterchangeable screens for K1 and other recent models would be very welcome. Focusing with standard screens is not working.
10-26-2018, 08:13 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm mostly annoyed with accuracy than speed, I don't really mind slower focusing as long as it's accurate. Hence my posts above

10-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Who cares about focus speed? We should care about AF tracking speed. I don't care how fast my lens goes from zero to infinity.

Still moden Pentax lenses feel faster and show less hunting. It is hard to quantify what fast really means. Tracking is more intersting, but involves a lot more than just AF engine performance. I would say that FA77 is not a fast focusing lens, but it is doing OK. DFA*50 feels fast - no worries what so ever. Long lens, low light, tracking, erratic movements - here yo can see differences, but defining a standard test just for the fun of it is far frome easy.
All new Pentax lenses - at least higher end ones - will get faster and more reliable. Cameras will offer faster and more reliable tracking. IS it fast enough for you - only you can decide.
Icterchangeable screens for K1 and other recent models would be very welcome. Focusing with standard screens is not working.
Yeah I would like this very much, easy and interchangeable focusing screens.
11-07-2018, 10:18 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Why would someone care about AF tracking speed any more than focus speed?

(Answer: they are two different valid use cases that different people might have a need for.)