Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I think I mentioned here (or somewhere else in this forum) recently that I did have a problem with my Sigma 28 last year. I gather that the lens wasn't maintaining its contact points with the camera properly and the result was, sometimes it would just stop metering. I called Sigma, they said send it in, and I got it back (if I recall) about 10 days later, fixed. No problems since.

Will

04-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #62

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey everyone!

I'm looking to get this lens but right now looking at Mr wallet, it's going to have to be a 2nds hand one. That doesn't fuss me it's just i cant seem to find one. so i guess I'm asking and wondering if anyone will be willing to part with there 28mm f1.8? I know if i hade this lens i would't be selling it but hey i've seen 600mm f4's for sale.

So if you are or thingking of selling your Sigma 28mm f1.8 EX DG, please let me know.

Thanks and Have a good one!
04-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben Hunt Quote
So if you are or thingking of selling your Sigma 28mm f1.8 EX DG, please let me know.
If anyone else wonders, Ben has also put this request at the marketplace so there is no need to suggest that to him.

P.S.: I think I'll only sell my copy if I switch systems or give up the hobby.
04-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #64
Veteran Member

The 35/2 is regarded as a "potential" FA* lens, strongly recommend.

04-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Yeah, I like mine, too and don't plan to sell it. :-)

QuoteOriginally posted by henryjing Quote
The 35/2 is regarded as a "potential" FA* lens, strongly recommend.
What do you mean "potential FA* lens"?

For some reason, I don't use the 35 f/2 very often, but when I do I'm always pleased with the results.

Will
04-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #66

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Will
Dont tell me that! you're suppose to be selling your 28mm to me!!!!! heheh

If anyone else wonders, Ben has also put this request at the marketplace so there is no need to suggest that to him.
sorry bout that Class A, i didn't mean to seem like i am flooding the place i just though this would be a nice place to try considering i've tried ebayUS, ebayUK, ebayAU, B&H,Adorama,KEH,PF, and small children standing on the corner of busy intersections for this lens......
04-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #67
Veteran Member

I'm gonna have to go with the Pentax on this one again.

Like I said before, that hood is just so damn cool!
04-12-2010, 02:54 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, I want to give you a caveat. As I've said here many times, I am NOT a lens connoisseur. I have certainly learned a lot about lenses in the last several years and I guess I'm becoming more discriminating. But some folks HATE Sigma lenses. I think that's a mistake: They may have some quality control problems, but my experience with Sigma lenses has been very good. Anyway, check out other reviews that you respect before making your purchase.
Will, you're not alone! I also love my Sigma lenses (apart from the 24-135, which is really poor contrast-wise on any camera above 6MP) and all of them can hold up easily to my Pentax glass, if there is any in the same range. But I only have the Sigma zooms, as all my primes are Pentax, from different generations. Also, Lowell is very happy with his Sigma 70-200/2.8, which deserves to get a Pentax label and finish, so that the Sigma-doubters could buy it with a calm conscience.

Ben

04-12-2010, 06:49 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Will, you're not alone! I also love my Sigma lenses (apart from the 24-135, which is really poor contrast-wise on any camera above 6MP) and all of them can hold up easily to my Pentax glass, if there is any in the same range. But I only have the Sigma zooms, as all my primes are Pentax, from different generations. Also, Lowell is very happy with his Sigma 70-200/2.8, which deserves to get a Pentax label and finish, so that the Sigma-doubters could buy it with a calm conscience.
Ben,

I have two Sigma primes now: the 28 f/1.8 and the 105 f/2.8 macro. Both are terrific lenses, in my non-connoisseur opinion.

I have owned quite a few Sigma zooms as well. I might be selling it soon but right now I still have the 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 macro. It's really a nice lensójust noticed it has a 5 star average rating at B&H, with 10 reviews. Not bad.

Will
04-12-2010, 07:09 AM   #70
Veteran Member

I love all my Sigma lenses....even the 17-35mm EX DG, which seems to get a bad wrap.
04-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #71
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenMerola Quote
I love all my Sigma lenses....even the 17-35mm EX DG, which seems to get a bad wrap.
I didn't realize it has a bad rap... I recently bought a second-hand Sigma 17-35mm EX DG f2.8-4, and so far I've been very happy with it - as a full-frame lens on an APS-C body, there's no vignetting to speak of and corner sharpness is very good. 77mm is my most common filter size, and I can use a polarizer on it at 17mm for outdoor shots (unlike some super-wide lenses), while f2.8 is usable indoors without a flash. I think it fits nicely between my Pentax 10-17mm f3.5-4.5 fisheye and my Tokina 28-70mm f2.6-2.8.

The only thing that surprised me about it is that it is lighter than the Sigma 28mm f1.8 EX DG, while being almost the same physical size. (Perhaps Sigma has been using more metal lately in their lenses?)
04-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben Hunt Quote
sorry bout that Class A, i didn't mean to seem like i am flooding the place...
No need to apologise.
When I first read your post here, I started to formulate a reply that pointed you to the marketplace as a better place for such requests. Then I thought "Wait, perhaps he knows about the 'Wanted' section" and checked. Since I wanted to spare others the same trip, I thought I quickly mention that you don't need to be educated about the "Wanted" section in the marketplace. That's all.

I have two Sigma primes now: the 28 f/1.8 and the 105 f/2.8 macro. Both are terrific lenses, in my non-connoisseur opinion.
I'll add the Sigma 70/2.8 EX Macro. Highly recommended.
04-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #73
Veteran Member

What do you mean "potential FA* lens"?

For some reason, I don't use the 35 f/2 very often, but when I do I'm always pleased with the results.

Will
Concerning the specification of FA35, it can be put a star on it, which actually is not...
04-14-2010, 06:11 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Great thread!

I'm contemplating the Sigma 28/1.8 because I sometimes find myself wanting something faster, wider and closer focusing than my DA40. And the price is right too.

I don't need any further convincing that this is a good lens, but I'm wondering why I'm seeing much more positive opinions about this lens here than in other forums, such as Flickr. I have three hypotheses:
  1. The other forums are dominated by measurebators.
  2. I noticed that the people praising this lens tend to be quite experienced -- is this a lens that requires an experienced hand to get the most out of?
  3. This lens performs better on Pentax than on other mounts.

As for this last hypothesis, I know that photozone.de say that lens tests cannot be extrapolated across different mounts, but I don't understand why this would be so. I can see that a given lens might perform a little differently on Canon, given the slightly different crop ratio for their APS-C products. And we can (and will) boast about the advantage of in-body SR, but this doesn't seem to be pertinent to testing so much as real-world use.

So, what gives?
04-14-2010, 06:23 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
As for this last hypothesis, I know that photozone.de say that lens tests cannot be extrapolated across different mounts, but I don't understand why this would be so.
I don't know either, but I suspect the Photozone results can't be compared across brands for two reasons:
- crop factor (which you mentioned).
- test cameras don't have equal resolution and capabilities