Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2010, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Attaching the dimension to the number (100mm) is very strange to me, and I studied Mechanical Technology in college. A dimension on a blueprint would be written as "100 mm" in Canada.

I read an explanation once: If you are speaking about a lens, you write 100mm. If you are speaking about a distance or about a focal length in general, you separate the unit and dimension; 100 mm. For example you would say "The 16-45mm lens allows a wide angle field of view of 16 mm." What would also make sense to me would be to say "A 100mm screw has a dimension of 100 mm from the base of the screw head to the tip."

Actually, I don't really care how you say it. We all know what it means. All except the noobs who get all tangled up in the crop factor
In your example yould use that as a name "the 100mm lens". That wouldn't be possible in German. You would have to write it with a hyphen in between "the 100-mm lens", but that is pretty unusual. At least I have never seen something like that applied to a lens.

The space between a number and its unit is actually defined by DIN 5008, the standard for typography of numbers. Only since the invasion of American technical literature this standard (which is also defined in the "Duden" our standard dictionary) has been softened up to the point, that some people do not even know about it...

Ben

05-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Just as priomsed ineviteable test images and some real world products.

Comparison with the older Sigma 1.8/28:

f/1.8 and f/4 - MFD 30cm

Direct link if you can't see the thumbnail image:
Pic-Upload.de - Kostenlos Bilder & Fotos hochladen Again Pic-Upload.de - Kostenlos Bilder & Fotos hochladen

New one, f/1.8 and f/4 also around 30cm (maybe 28)

Pic-Upload.de - Kostenlos Bilder & Fotos hochladen Pic-Upload.de - Kostenlos Bilder & Fotos hochladen

Sand test, MFD f/4

A real one, f/2, distance less than 30cm
Pic-Upload.de - Kostenlos Bilder & Fotos hochladen
also f/2
Pic-Upload.de - Kostenlos Bilder & Fotos hochladen

Last edited by Egg Salad; 05-06-2010 at 11:50 AM.
05-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
The space between a number and its unit is actually defined by DIN 5008, the standard for typography of numbers. Only since the invasion of American technical literature this standard (which is also defined in the "Duden" our standard dictionary) has been softened up to the point, that some people do not even know about it...

Ben
The authority when I was in engineering school was ASA, the American Standards Association. Canada was just getting started in the Metric system. In the intervening years, DIN standards have become quite common here (Canada) but I don't recall ever seeing a hyphen between a number and its unit (e.g. 100-mm). I don't know how common DIN standards are in the U.S. I suspect they're pretty rare and ASA still stands.
05-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The authority when I was in engineering school was ASA, the American Standards Association. Canada was just getting started in the Metric system. In the intervening years, DIN standards have become quite common here (Canada) but I don't recall ever seeing a hyphen between a number and its unit (e.g. 100-mm). I don't know how common DIN standards are in the U.S. I suspect they're pretty rare and ASA still stands.
The hyphen between a number and its unit would only be used, if you use it as a name. You can basically create compound words of any length in German and inserting the odd hyphen helps then, to keep the overview. Also, making a compound out of numbers and letters is not allowed, you would need the hyphen in such a case for simply orthographical reasons.

DIN and ASA are superseded to some extend by ISO, which usually makes one of the existing standards their own and adds some bits and pieces from the competing standardization institutions. A good example is film sensitivity. In DIN we had "21°DIN" in ASA it would have been "100ASA" and ISO took over the ASA system. During the first years you would read "ISO 21DIN/100ASA" on film packs, but nowadays just saying and writing "100ISO" is the usual way to put it.

There are some DIN standards that are common in the US today, though many Americans do not realize that. Machinery and cars, that are build for export often have DIN (metric) screws now (well, not if you buy a Harley-Davidson). Then the standards for quality management (ISO 9000/9001 and environmental protection ISO 14000 etc.) are all based on DIN standards. One day in the distand future, the Americans will also count their milk in lters and their mielage in kilometres. If the British could do it, they can!

Ben

05-05-2010, 02:57 PM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Egg Salad Quote
Just as promised ineviteable test images and some real world products.
Thanks.
I haven't looked at all of them yet because the images are not inlined. I tried three different browsers and always just see icons telling me something about the image host not allowing something "Site don't allowed".

Seems like that image host doesn't allow others to inline images. Even
[img]http://www4.pic-upload.de/04.05.10/gg2d6ghbsahk.jpg[/img] doesn't work.
05-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Does this one work? Pic-Upload.de - Kostenlos Bilder & Fotos hochladen
Don't know what you mean with inline - vocabulary missing.

If yes, I'll just post the direct links. Sorry.

Still, it's weird. This doesn't explain why some people can view these images while others can't. Maybe IP restricted?

Or can someone suggest another image hoster that allows up to 16mb of file size?

Edit: fixed my previous post - links should now work for everyone.
If it works correctly you should actually see clickable thumbnails. I'm using Firefox 3.6 but I guess it's a regional thing.

Of course I could embed my images but at 4672x3104 I think my images would be slightly to big...

Last edited by Egg Salad; 05-06-2010 at 11:54 AM.
05-06-2010, 01:26 AM   #112
Pentaxian

Does this one work?
Thanks, it works but the other links worked as well after I clicked on them. It just would be handy if the images were embedded in the post.

Don't know what you mean with inline - vocabulary missing.
I mean that the image shows directly without requiring to click at a link (and then endure adverts).

Here's an inlined / embedded image:

The code for it is
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3319/3286770785_8e873c9587.jpg[/img]
(actually I added a link, making it clickable and to conform to flickr rules, but that isn't important for this discussion).

This doesn't explain why some people can view these images while others can't.
Can you see them directly embedded into the post?
As I said I tried three different browsers and I think that your host doesn't want to support using the images without being able to plug their adverts. But maybe it does work for others and it is an IP restriction I'm suffering from.