Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2018, 05:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Compare SMC DA L 55-300mm with Tamron Adaptall 60-300 SP (with T/C)

I do not have a teleconverter for the Pentax, so I suppose the better comparison would have been to remove the t/c from the Tamron. However, I wanted to see how each turned out in crop, with the same Lightroom develop settings. Both were mounted on a tripod; both were taken with manual focus (the 55-300 had some difficulty with the moon on AF),

Below, the first image "IMGP1457" is the 55-300. The second "IMGP1472" is the 60-300. I think the 60-300 came out much clearer. If it is clear tomorrow night, I am planning to remove the teleconverter and compare again.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-21-2018, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

That second image is definitely more clear.
10-21-2018, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Second is definitely clearer and also doesn’t have the blue ring around it. They both look a little purple though.

Second look the second has a yellow ring around it.
10-21-2018, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The Tamron 60-300 has a pretty solid reputation. I have seen some seriously amazing work done with that lens. I am looking forward to the second set of images done at the same magnification.

Steve

10-22-2018, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An interesting comparison, but need to compare like with like. Was the tc the 2x 01F? Your exif says 120mm for the 23A shot? My first guess is that you didn't quite nail focus with the DAL, mine is certainly of similar resolution to my 23A. However if the 23A was with a 2x tc then did you size up the DAL shot or size down the 23A shot?
I've tried doing moon shot comparisons and my conclusion is it's a ticklish and rarely conclusive game, with all the random factors affecting results: vibration, micro focus inaccuracies, atmospherics etc. Were you using live view to focus and a remote shutter release? I would always shoot RAW to be able to be sure of output consistency re white balance, sharpening and contrast and bit of oxposure tweaking if necessary. And stop down at least a stop.
If it remains clear here I'll chip in with my 23A (s)..
10-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
An interesting comparison, but need to compare like with like. Was the tc the 2x 01F? Your exif says 120mm for the 23A shot? My first guess is that you didn't quite nail focus with the DAL, mine is certainly of similar resolution to my 23A. However if the 23A was with a 2x tc then did you size up the DAL shot or size down the 23A shot?
I've tried doing moon shot comparisons and my conclusion is it's a ticklish and rarely conclusive game, with all the random factors affecting results: vibration, micro focus inaccuracies, atmospherics etc. Were you using live view to focus and a remote shutter release? I would always shoot RAW to be able to be sure of output consistency re white balance, sharpening and contrast and bit of oxposure tweaking if necessary. And stop down at least a stop.
If it remains clear here I'll chip in with my 23A (s)..
Marcus,

The TC was the 01F (I'd love to get my hands on the other one). I took roughly 5 shots with autofocus on the DAL and 5 with manual. I did 7 shots or so with the Tamron, all (obviously) manual. For every shot, I used a 12-second delay time after pressing the shutter in order to minimize vibrations. I always use RAW for these comparisons. Both were stopped down to roughly F/11 for the initial moon shots - Looney 11 rule - Wikipedia. I then modified to try to get the clearest picture (you'll notice, of course, the DAL was at 5.8).

And yes, I upsized the DAL. Hence, my thought on the need to compare 300mm and 300mm tonight, assuming I get a clear sky.
10-22-2018, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good technique.

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
I'd love to get my hands on the other one
Well I have an 014F spare actually hint hint ... and a couple of other 1.4x tc's in my for sale listing.

10-22-2018, 08:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good technique.

Well I have an 014F spare actually hint hint ... and a couple of other 1.4x tc's in my for sale listing.
Oh very nice. At conversion rates and wife-happiness scale, I wouldn't be able to purchase any from you (or likely, any for awhile).
10-22-2018, 05:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update to Test

Okay - here are comparisons from tonight. Both lenses were mounted in the same place, at roughly the same time (60-300 was several minutes later), using 12-second timer, using auto (55-300) and manual focus (55-300; 60-300). I took at least 8 shots with each, then picked the two best based on visual inspection. Then, I exported them unedited. They are attached. Then I exported them edited - they are also attached.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-29-2018, 04:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Moon shots with DAL 55-300mm, Tamron 23A SP 60-300mm, Tokina ATX 100-300mm

Well I thought I'd missed out on contributing a couple of moon shots when it was too cloudy and windy the other night, but coming back from a live transmission performance of Die Walkure yesterday there was a splendid rising moon in a clear windless sky. So though it was getting past my bedtime I lugged the tripod into the garden and took some shots.
I ran into a glitch. In live view the moon was just a washed out white ball - impossible to focus on. I knew what the problem was. OK now how to switch to spot metering on my K3.. Figured it out eventually (it's different to the K5 I had) but then when I pressed the button to get a magnified LV image "this feature is not available in this mode". Well darn, that's definitely a handicap for moon shots with this camera.
So I had to resort to the ovf, laboriously checking each image on the lcd for focus and adjusting for the next attempt. In the end it was the DAL 55-300mm that was most problematical due to its sticky mechanics and the infinity being short of the end stop. The tokina ATX 100-300mm f4 was easy due to an accurate end stop, the two 23A's were also, to my surprise, not on infinity at the end stop but a bit before. I could have tried a different adaptall mount.
Jpg's exported from LR with consistent, essentially default, PP settings apart from exposure, which I had to adjust a stop + on the 23A images. I put the aperture ring on F8, camera in manual mode, so actual f stop at 300mm would have been ~ f12 (23A is f3.5 at 60mm, f5.4 at 300mm wide open), and calculated the shutter accordingly but the shots were still underexposed. Tokina ATX 100-300mm on f11, DAL 55-300mm on f10. All full sized 1:1 crops.

DAL 55-300mm @ 300mm

DAL 55-300mm @ 260mm. My lens doesn't show any noticeable falloff in IQ 260mm > 300mm.

23A #1

23A #2

Tokina ATX 100-300mm

There's not a lot of difference in these results, all 3 of these lenses are pretty decent. If anything I tend to favour the tokina.
I just checked to see if the white balance numbers offer any insight into the different tone, but no the numbers in LR are the same for all the images. Curious that the one 23A in particular has a significantly warner tone.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 10-31-2018 at 03:59 PM.
10-30-2018, 06:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG:
There's not a lot of difference in these results, all 3 of these lenses are pretty decent. If anything I tend to favour the tokina.
I just checked to see if the white balance numbers offer any insight into the different tone, but no the numbers in LR are the same for all the images. Curious that the one 23A in particular has a significantly warner tone.
In looking at the 55-300, it seems out of focus, or perhaps there is some motion blur. Both shots seem unclear to me. And that was before I actually looked to see which was which. The Tokina actually seems the best of them to me, as well.
10-30-2018, 07:32 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does your K3 behave the same as mine re Live View jawats, or am I missing something.

it seems out of focus, or perhaps there is some motion blur

It's always possible for focus inaccuracies to creep in. A mitigating factor with moon shots is that focusing at infinity is the most forgiving of inaccuracies, and stopping down will bring small inacuracies within the hyperfocal zone.
I used MLU and a cable release.
10-31-2018, 03:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Does your K3 behave the same as mine re Live View jawats, or am I missing something.
I use live-view to line up the shot, but then rarely use it for focusing purposes. The moon is usually so bright in the screen that I do not find it very good at focusing. Of course, once I get it focused, I could switched to MLU.

QuoteQuote:
It's always possible for focus inaccuracies to creep in. A mitigating factor with moon shots is that focusing at infinity is the most forgiving of inaccuracies, and stopping down will bring small inacuracies within the hyperfocal zone.
I used MLU and a cable release.
I should try a cable release for these. I've never tried.
10-31-2018, 04:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I should try a cable release for these. I've never tried.
Timer works too, but you must assume that touching the camera may impart vibration/movement.
11-01-2018, 06:12 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Timer works too, but you must assume that touching the camera may impart vibration/movement.
Very true. I found that 12s on the timer is usually enough to stop most vibrations. However, a cable release AND a timer AND MLU might do even better. Next time I get a full moon - which I think will be around the end of November - I'm going to try some combination of these.