Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Can you wait ? Pentax is supposedly releasing its DFA 70-200mm f/4 in Spring 2019... this could work for you.
If they are, that would be amazing. I'd be switching from 2.8 to 4 for sure. But from their past releases it's not too likely it'll come out in spring))

10-22-2018, 06:00 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I find that the failures on the DA*16-50 and to a lesser extent the DA*50-135 and DA 17-70mm are not uncommon, but failures on lenses like the DA*60-250 or the DA*200mm f/2.8 are very uncommon. In fact, reading these forums basically every day since 2013, I have yet to hear about a DA*60-250mm motor failing. I've heard about them getting dropped by their users and breaking the internals quite a few times, but that's a different issue...
You've got things mostly right, but on the 60-250 You've missed a few failures. I get contacted by and called into threads related to arm failures a lot since I convert the DA* 300/200/50-135/& 16-50 lenses so it is easier for me to keep up. There have been at least 4 reports of sdm failure. There is no known conversion for this lens and there is a thread looking for a solution.
10-22-2018, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You've got things mostly right, but on the 60-250 You've missed a few failures. I get contacted by and called into threads related to arm failures a lot since I convert the DA* 300/200/50-135/& 16-50 lenses so it is easier for me to keep up. There have been at least 4 reports of sdm failure. There is no known conversion for this lens and there is a thread looking for a solution.
My first DA*60-250 images were taken in 2011. So this is my 7th year with the lens. 4 reports in 7 years.... let's keep this in context. It's almost certainly less than the industry standard for lenses with internal AF motors. When stuff like this breaks, just fix it.

Don't like the solution is different than looking for a solution. If my 60-250 has SDM failure tomorrow, I'll send it in tomorrow, and when it comes back, hopefully it be good for another 7 years plus.

Products with moving parts break. You need to be prepared.
10-22-2018, 08:07 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My first DA*60-250 images were taken in 2011. So this is my 7th year with the lens. 4 reports in 7 years.... let's keep this in context. It's almost certainly less than the industry standard for lenses with internal AF motors. When stuff like this breaks, just fix it.

Don't like the solution is different than looking for a solution. If my 60-250 has SDM failure tomorrow, I'll send it in tomorrow, and when it comes back, hopefully it be good for another 7 years plus.

Products with moving parts break. You need to be prepared.
Lets also bear in mind that 4 reports here are certainly not representative of the total. But your statement was that you hadn't heard of any. I woyld suggest that all arm failures are less frequent than some people would believe. I concur that the risk is low.

10-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 is a solid performer. Sharp, crisp, clear. With good light you can snap away all day at f/4 to f/8 depending on how much DoF you need. Action shots where fast AF isn’t needed will come out great. Think of shots where you pan or something is basically happening at inifinity +/- a bit so the screw drive focus won’t be racking back and forth.

If you ever decide to go with a K-1 then be ready to carry some weight around. It won’t feel heavy at first but after a while it will feel like a truck full of bricks. FF zooms and FF lenses in general will only get bigger as the market embraces monster, coffee can sized barrels of glass.
10-23-2018, 12:35 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes I want a FF 200mm for APSC so that it works like 300mm, and I can use it on my Super A and future FF DSLR too.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
First the 70-200 f/2.8 range on APC is longer than people normally want. Are you SURE you want that range and not the 50-135 f/2.8 range? The DA* 50-135 f/2.8 is a LOVELY lens that is heavily discounted in the used marketplace. It is SDM and is convertible to screw drive (I offer this as a service or you can do it yourself easily with an older body). The lens handing is fantastic and the weight savings and cost savings over the 70-200 DFA is huge.

Now assuming you need 200mm - the Normhead gave you the best answer I think. The DA* 200 f/2.8 is a good alternative as is the 60-250 f/4 IF either of these fit your needs. The Tamron and Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 lenses are also good options from what I read. I have used the A 70-210 F4 and agree that's a nice lens but not in the same ballpark as the DA* 60-250 or the DFA 70-200 f/2.8 - still well worth considering if you can do without AF.

---------- Post added 10-23-18 at 03:39 PM ----------

I shoot film B4 digital so I already used to the weight of the lens, and hoped that future Pentax FF will be smaller and lighter
coz I always carry the battery grip, a standard backpack has limited space.

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 is a solid performer. Sharp, crisp, clear. With good light you can snap away all day at f/4 to f/8 depending on how much DoF you need. Action shots where fast AF isn’t needed will come out great. Think of shots where you pan or something is basically happening at inifinity +/- a bit so the screw drive focus won’t be racking back and forth.

If you ever decide to go with a K-1 then be ready to carry some weight around. It won’t feel heavy at first but after a while it will feel like a truck full of bricks. FF zooms and FF lenses in general will only get bigger as the market embraces monster, coffee can sized barrels of glass.

---------- Post added 10-23-18 at 03:54 PM ----------

How good or bad it performs wide open ?
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
The A 70-210/4 is one I wish I hadn't sold. It was a rookie mistake. But I live on my 50-135

---------- Post added 10-23-18 at 04:01 PM ----------

What is the main problem with the Tamron beside focusing ? QC ?

For light use, I'd get the Tamron. IF shooting sports or action, I'd look for the Sigma. I've never been remotely interested in the Pentax. I've read no glowing reposts about it, am not sure I've ever seen an image taken with it. It's either just not that good for the money or it's one of the unknown gems in the mud pile. The Tamron, you have to be sure you get a good copy. It probably has the highest DoA failure rate on the forum. The last time I was interested in buying one O was told I could only exchange it once if it was abad copy. I wouldn't buy one unless the dealer promised to keep at it until I got a working copy. Buying used should be OK. The issues people had made the camera un0useable, so if it works, it's probably good. Also, It has a fantastic approval rating among those who got a good copy.

My personal solution was the DA* 60-250 but it's ƒ4 not ƒ2.8 and just isn't that good for pseudo macro as it's probably the most pronounced focus breathing of any lens I own. Close up at minimum focusing distance, it's about the same as a 135mm prime.

But in any case, I'd rather carry the DA* 60-250 and a DFA 100 macro prime for flower images etc.
Or, a DA 16-85 or DA 18-135 both have excellent pseudo prime ratios. You're going to be paying a heavy prices for 2.8 in terms of cost and weight.
ANd for weight an 2.8 the DA*200 is by far the best option. Especially if you have a DA16-85, or DA 18135 and a DFA 100 macro to pair with it. Personally when I think every day kit, I think dust seals and water resistance. Those are pretty much non negotiable for me.
10-23-2018, 02:18 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
One hand operation push pull control the good old days !

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If you don't need AF, I can give a strong recommendation for the Pentax-A 70-210/4.

Pentax K-3, Pentax-A 70-210/4, f/5.6 1/200s, explored on Flickr

Pentax K-3, Pentax-A 70-210/4, f/8.0 1/640s

These regularly go for under $50 USD and are high value at that price. Build is excellent and optical quality is quite decent. I have even used mine for action. (It helps to have been pre-focused on the flock, though the results were not bad even at f/5.6)

Pentax K-3, Pentax-A 70-210/4, f/5.6 1/1000s

No SDM problems...No focus breathing...

BTW, all of the above were hand-held. The lens has heft, but is not impossible.

Steve

---------- Post added 10-23-18 at 05:20 PM ----------

I also considering the Tokina 80-200 MF...

If you don't need AF, I can give a strong recommendation for the Pentax-A 70-210/4.

Pentax K-3, Pentax-A 70-210/4, f/5.6 1/200s, explored on Flickr

Pentax K-3, Pentax-A 70-210/4, f/8.0 1/640s

These regularly go for under $50 USD and are high value at that price. Build is excellent and optical quality is quite decent. I have even used mine for action. (It helps to have been pre-focused on the flock, though the results were not bad even at f/5.6)

Pentax K-3, Pentax-A 70-210/4, f/5.6 1/1000s

No SDM problems...No focus breathing...

BTW, all of the above were hand-held. The lens has heft, but is not impossible.

Steve

10-23-2018, 04:04 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Hi there,

I am looking for a good quality 70-200 or similar range f2.8 telezoom on a budget to match with my K3, the new Pentax HD 70-200 cost way too much to me and I don't have the K1 (yet). Look around the used market there are 4 such lenses that caught my eyes, the Pentax mostly silverly FA 80-200, the Tamron 70-200 (A001), the Tokina 80-200 and the Sigma APO 70-200. Each of the above cost around half to slightly less than half of a brand new Pentax HD depends on where you look, and the old Pentax FA being the most expensive in the 4. I've not handled any such lenses, by only reading review I am inclinded to the Tamron due to it's look, size and the AF/MF clutching switch over design, the same used on some Tokina lens that I owned and I like it very much. The one bad thing about the Tamron (A001) I read about was the slow and inaccurate AF, that's why they are pentiful in the used market at quite attractive price, with the quick AF/MF switch over I think it would not be a big problem to me and I don't shoot sports, but portrait, close up of birds, flowers, animals plus some low night. All the above except the new Pentax HD are not weather sealed that's disappointing, I don't know what camera they were designed to match with, Pentax produced tons of weather sealed camera so this is quite a miss on these top level lenses.

If you were me which one would you choose and why ? or you have other option ?
I have used the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 macro A001 on a K-1 extensively for landscapes and have been pleasantly surprised with the IQ, especially the sharpness. However, I use it only on a tripod and stopped down in the f5.6 to 11 range and can't speak to the sharpness wide open. I purchased it at the same time as the K-1 and considered it a temporary lens for use until I could afford something better. 2 1/2 years later I'm still using it extensively. I hope this helps.
10-23-2018, 06:02 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
I have used the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 macro A001 on a K-1 extensively for landscapes and have been pleasantly surprised with the IQ, especially the sharpness. However, I use it only on a tripod and stopped down in the f5.6 to 11 range and can't speak to the sharpness wide open. I purchased it at the same time as the K-1 and considered it a temporary lens for use until I could afford something better. 2 1/2 years later I'm still using it extensively. I hope this helps.

I like the Tamron as well. I don't use it a lot as it is big and heavy, but when I do, I wonder why I don't use it more often! I was lucky, I found on Ebay that looks brand new, has the case, box, paper work, filter and two different teleconverters for $425. I use it on my K-3, but figure I am good if I ever go full frame.

Jim
10-23-2018, 06:26 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you don't need AF, I can give a strong recommendation for the Pentax-A 70-210/4
I like this lens as well. I use it in situations where fast focusing isn't needed and where I need some to a fair amount of reach. Add in that it is silent and is cheap (I got mine for $35) and it is good if you can use a lens like it. I have mostly used it for recitals and school concerts where one wants to be out of the way, silent, and one has time to frame and focus. Are there better lenses, yes but you would be hard pressed to find a better value.
10-23-2018, 06:45 AM - 3 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

The big problem with big lenses, is often they get left home when they are photographically necessary, just because you don't want the bulk or weight. The DA 55-300 is a great compromise lens. A bit of IQ lost for a much lighter more manageable package. And honestly, I have many DA 55-300 images where I doubt my more expensive glass would do any better at all. After all, if the cheaper lens resolves the necessary detail. a lens with better resolving power often doesn't add anything new. And I have other images I know I wouldn't have had anything with my better glass, because they would have been to heavy and bulky to use for the maneuvers I had to do to get the shot.
@SSGGeezer and @Normhead you are right on target regarding the 55-300 PLM. Since I bought this lens it goes everywhere I take my K-3. For sure it is not quite as sharp or fast as my DA*300 when it is zoomed all the way out, but its image quality and sharpness is more than good enough right up to about 280mm. The heavier, faster, higher quality extended range telephoto lenses such as, in my case, the DA*300, with or without the 1.4TC have their place where carrying a larger heaver lens is not an issue. The lighter weight, compact sized PLM, however, has made extended range telephoto shooting an everyday option rather than a specialized outing. Autofocus performance is an added bonus.
10-23-2018, 06:52 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Another lens I haven't seen mentioned is the F 70-210. Maybe not as good as a 55-300 PLM but we got ours for around $60 with and SF1 film body thrown in.
10-23-2018, 08:29 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I got the older 55-300 HD and it is very light and sharp, but it is too slow for low night, and I dropped it couple times now it stuck and barely focus, I would not get the PLM one as I need something brighter, I would get the Tamron or Tokina. I see that there are at least 2 versions of the Tamron, with and without the distance scale window, I believe only the A001 available in K mount, most new lens does not support Pentax that's a pity !

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
I've had an original Sigma 70-200 APO for 10 yrs and it's a cracker on the K-3/K3 II with very fast AF and great IQ (and no HSM issues, cause it doesn't have HSM!). OTOH, I've also got the 55-300 PLM and that's much lighter and great until it loses AF lock (and it has a much smaller max aperture)!

On balance, the original Sigma 70-200 APO has better IQ but it's a very old lens and spares may be difficult to obtain if fails (although my used one never has in those 10 yrs), whereas the PLM is lighter and very good but a much smaller aperture and has only limited reliability history.

Also, if you set the body to AF and the lens to Manual, then the Sigma has "quickshift" like many Pentax lenses.

One other factor to consider is that the manual focus ring on the Tamron (and of course the PLM) rotates in the same direction as Pentax lenses, whereas on Sigma lenses the ring turns in the opposite direction - and that can be very confusing (except not for me as most of my lenses are Sigma)!
10-23-2018, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
reading review I am inclinded to the Tamron due to it's look, size and the AF/MF clutching switch over design
The Tamron is ok, quite good from F4 onward in fact, but that clutch is probably its biggest flaw IMHO. It means you have to make two operations to switch to MF, the gears in the clutch are inaccurate and lead to movement when you engage the clutch, in short it's inelegant.

Having tested both the Pentax DFA and the Tamron for Pentaxforums, I'm able to say that you get what you pay for. The Tamron is pretty good, the Pentax is close to the best lens the company ever produced.

My own choice, to balance reach, size, weight, optical quality, is the Pentax 60-250 F4 modified so it works on Full Frame.
10-23-2018, 11:41 AM - 4 Likes   #30
Veteran Member

Tamron at 135mm is razor sharp wide open. The only really soft spot is at 200mm 2.8, but that goes away with just one step norrower aperture. Optically the lens is great, especially for the money. But, I find af with it inconsistent, and it's just too heavy for what I use it for. But for portraits on a budget, it's one of the best options.

---------- Post added 10-23-18 at 12:08 PM ----------

For reference - few samples with Tamron 70-200.

Mat & Amanda
by Timur Dzhambinov, on Flickr

Deep space

Whats up doc?

View from Belfry Mt

Sunset over Adirondacks

Sunset over Adirondacks