Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2018, 10:38 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
The issue of converters vs cropping has been debated many times on this forum. My take is that outstanding lenses generally work very well with 1.4x converters, while average ones are better used at their sweet spot and the final image cropped as needed.
I've tip toed into this area without intending to. I went back through a bunch of shots I had done and put together this set of comparisons here - on this page, there are a few samples, and then a link to the full series on flikr:

question on tele conveter lenses - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

I found part of the equation seemed to be the resolution of the sensor e.g. my K3II did about equal or maybe a nudge better to upsample and crop, but my K-1 did better with the 1.7x TC. I think the higher pixel density of the 24MP crop sensor with a high enough resolving lens can grab enough detail to upscale well. The equivalent 16MP crop of the K-1's sensor doesn't have as much granular detail to resize and upsample, so it's better off getting that 1.7x magnification optically on the front side, but the quality of the lens is crucial to what you get after that.

And thanks to everyone for their input on this and adding in the thoughts on TCs etc.

10-27-2018, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How did you luck into these gems? That is if you can tell us! And how much less than fleabay were they. they are pretty costly there.
10-27-2018, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
How did you luck into these gems? That is if you can tell us! And how much less than fleabay were they. they are pretty costly there.
They were actually two separate snags near back to back off fleabay. I popped the 200 in an auction for a little over $300, and the 300 was a buy now with free shipping that I think I stumbled on within hours of it posting for $299. It looks like $550-650 and up for the condition these are in is more typical. I can not find any optical defects in either, the 200 is near perfect cosmetically, and the 300 looks like it just came out of the box - even the "PASSED" QC sticker has no wear and looks new.
10-27-2018, 02:50 PM - 2 Likes   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
A* 200/2.8 A* 300/4 - star lineage - how do they fit in/opinions on them
Both of these are "Ladies reside in my harem, namely “Gorgeous Lady” (Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8 ED) and “Duchess” (Pentax-A* 300mm F4.0).

Both have the ability to deliver when asked, I'm just recently getting reacquainted with the “Gorgeous Lady”, now that she's able to strut her stuff again on FF like the old days.

Follow this link as all my posts here are with her. "The 200mm... the seemly unloved these days focal length club" - PentaxForums.com