Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2018, 06:19 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
iheiramo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,043
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Check yourself ... just one page of the data ... http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/pentax_tele.html

Comment?
I wouldn't call 8 lenses the whole Pentax prime lenses lineup.

Also to me it looks like the best of the 3 M series lenses in the test. I don't have M150 yet, so don't have experience with it, but on user experience M100/2.8 is weaker than M85. From M series, based on my user experience, I'd say also M100/4, M135/3.5 and M200/4 are weaker than M85. M120 is most likely sharper, but due to difference in rendering it depends which one is better.

K/A/FA versions of the same lens often are sharper than M versions. M is often cheapest, smallest and still good enough for non professional work.

11-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 13,038
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
I wouldn't call 8 lenses the whole Pentax prime lenses lineup.
?

Why did you not also go to:

http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/pentax_superwide.html

http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/pentax_28-30.html

http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/pentax_35.html

http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/pentax_normal.html

I get it, you like this little lens, but ignoring the facts presented does you no credit, @Iheiramo!

When I go out with the K28 f3.5, K55 f1.8 and M85 f2, it is clearly the weakest link in the trio.
11-24-2018, 02:28 PM   #18
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter
SSGGeezer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Maine, U.S.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,785
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
?

Why did you not also go to:

http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/pentax_superwide.html

http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/pentax_28-30.html

http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/pentax_35.html

http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/pentax_normal.html

I get it, you like this little lens, but ignoring the facts presented does you no credit, @Iheiramo!

When I go out with the K28 f3.5, K55 f1.8 and M85 f2, it is clearly the weakest link in the trio.
You can send me yours if you don't want to play with it anymore Ian! I like my M200/f4 so another in the stable=would be great! I' will even send you a Rikenon 50 in exchange!
11-24-2018, 03:23 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
iheiramo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,043
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
?

Why did you not also go to:
I thought you wanted to talk about tele lenses only as you said only one page of data. Adding other lens types doesn't chance the fact that tests does not include all the Pentax lenses and therefore one also cannot claim M85 to be second worst of all Pentax lenses based on that test. It simply doesn't provide that information.

Why you keep changing goal posts?

I don't know K series, so can't comment them. Never seen a K lens IRL.

11-24-2018, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 13,038
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
You can send me yours if you don't want to play with it anymore Ian! I like my M200/f4 so another in the stable=would be great! I' will even send you a Rikenon 50 in exchange!
Well, I'd love to trade it for a K85 plus some cash, Tom, but the amount? Reckon I've hurt my bargaining position with my own data!

11-24-2018, 04:10 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 13,038
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
I thought you wanted to talk about tele lenses only as you said only one page of data.
Iheiramo, just look at the numbers for the M85, and look at those of the other lenses, that's it. Take your time.

No need to overcomplicate, because it's very simple. That lens is just about the poorest in the entire test range across all focal lengths, with shocking numbers wide open, and still behind when stopped down.
11-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,229
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Iheiramo, just look at the numbers for the M85, and look at those of the other lenses, that's it. Take your time.

No need to overcomplicate, because it's very simple. That lens is just about the poorest in the entire test range across all focal lengths, with shocking numbers wide open, and still behind when stopped down.
Just to be fair - that's a sample set of 1 right? I haven't read that test in a while so forgive me if I am wrong. If it is single sample - it's better than no data in some ways but hard to generalize from. Perhaps his copy sucked?
11-24-2018, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian
ZombieArmy's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,644
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Just to be fair - that's a sample set of 1 right? I haven't read that test in a while so forgive me if I am wrong. If it is single sample - it's better than no data in some ways but hard to generalize from. Perhaps his copy sucked?
The resolution curve doesn't seem too out of place compared to the other telephotos he tested. Some of the M telephotos just aren't good. They gave up performance for their diminutive size.

11-24-2018, 11:59 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
iheiramo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,043
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Iheiramo, just look at the numbers for the M85, and look at those of the other lenses, that's it. Take your time.

No need to overcomplicate, because it's very simple. That lens is just about the poorest in the entire test range across all focal lengths, with shocking numbers wide open, and still behind when stopped down.
Not really interested in test charts, so no thank you. I don't have to prove something that I haven't said.

In reality it's not that bad as you claim it to be in original message. In real life it's IQ is one of the best in M series. I have almost all of them, so that I know.

You are free to replace M85 with something sharper and more expensive, if your not happy with it.
11-25-2018, 02:26 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 13,038
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Not really interested in test charts ...
We can see the OP's pictures, Ismo, my pictures, and your pictures on Flickr - they back up the test charts.

$225 USD plus postage and you can have mine.

With your passion and faith in it, I'm sure you'll be able to convince people to buy it for way more, and you're up on the deal.

Just don't show them objective test results, of course, show 'em post processed pics!

Last edited by clackers; 11-25-2018 at 05:14 PM.
11-25-2018, 08:26 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
iheiramo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,043
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
text

No need to claim I have said something I haven't. Please reread and comment something I have actually said, if you want to continue. I haven't said M85 is greatest lens in Pentax primes lineup.
11-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #27
Pentaxian
cyberjunkie's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bologna, Amsterdam, Chiang Mai
Posts: 1,087
Takinami's tests were well done, but judging from the results a few lenses were below average.
It happens when only a single example is tested...
I'm not referring to the Pentax-M 2/85mm though.
I remember a few other lenses that didn't perform at the level I would have expected.

From what I remember the 2/85mm M was not the best Pentax lens, but not the worst either.
I owned it long time ago, but I sold it when I found the A* second hand.
Its main advantage is the small size. It is also quite fast for an M lens.
I guess that on digital it could fit the need for a compact portrait lens.
Though there are better choices if an 85mm is bought with portrait use in mind.
I am extremely happy with my Auto Takumar 1.8/85mm.
Bokeh is so mellow, and overall rendition is at the top. It's a pity it's not a PK lens.
11-30-2018, 05:44 AM   #28
Veteran Member
bassek's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 644
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
In reality it's not that bad as you claim it to be in original message. In real life it's IQ is one of the best in M series. I have almost all of them, so that I know.
I have to agree here, the M85 is a terrific lens but has a long learning curve. It's not the lens I would pick in a hurry for a moving object. But when you get it right it's a gem.
To OP: Keep shooting and you will know why eventually.

Seb

PS: A hood might have helped, but eventually you could have a faulty lens
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
85mm, experience with smc, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, slr lens, smc, smc pentax 85mm f2
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
People Night Shooting With The M85mm rbefly Post Your Photos! 3 03-17-2014 07:43 AM
Streets M85mm Takes To The Street rbefly Post Your Photos! 5 03-13-2014 10:05 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax SMC M85mm f2 lens Byrd-2020 Sold Items 0 10-13-2013 09:14 AM
FA77mm for M85mm owner? yusuf Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 35 09-18-2010 08:38 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:38 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top