Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
Pentaxian

How much does infinity adjustment cost on lenses?

I've got a few lenses that don't quite hit infinity that I'd really like to get fixed. I've tried many many times with these lenses in 6x live view but they never reach the target. How much does this minor repair usually cost to fulfill?

10-28-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I've got a few lenses that don't quite hit infinity that I'd really like to get fixed. I've tried many many times with these lenses in 6x live view but they never reach the target. How much does this minor repair usually cost to fulfill?
In some cases, for manual lenses, at least, you may be able to do it yourself by adjusting the set screw on the focusing ring.

As an example, there's info on doing so with the samyang 8mm fisheye in this post:
Focus On Newfoundland: MY VIEW OF THE SAMYANG 8MM f/3.5 FISHEYE LENS
10-28-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I guess much would depend on whether it is a minor repair. On several of my lenses, adjustment (if even possible) requires close to a full teardown. On others, it only requires loosening a few grub screws. A question that remains is whether the helicoid pitch is sufficiently gentle to allow much adjustment at that end of the range. Most primes are set with the infinity mark at a distance about 2000x the focal length. That may be quite close for most wide-angles, but DOF, even wide-open, along with lack of mechanical precision makes it difficult to move to point further out while still providing a "stop" that will not result in backfocus for distant elements.

Steve
10-28-2018, 07:39 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
As an example, there's info on doing so with the samyang 8mm fisheye in this post:
Focus On Newfoundland: MY VIEW OF THE SAMYANG 8MM f/3.5 FISHEYE LENS
Yes, adjustment is easy for the Samyang 8mm fisheye, but not for infinity. One calibrates the focus ring for a close distance and trusts that far distance will follow.

Steve

10-29-2018, 07:49 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have several vintage Takumars that just don't quite focus to infinity. I've been planning on tearing into them to see if I can adjust them. I figure worst case is to try the next notch over on thread alignment.