Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #1

Lens Upgrade questions?

This my first post here..I have a K10d and 18-55 of course the kits lens...I will be purchasing the Pentaz 50mm 1.4 for sure ....any opinions here for the Pentax 17-70 F4 zoom verses the Sigma 17-70 2.8? I read the reviews for both & like the Sigma from a price perspective but would be open to the pentax if there is a big difference in quality images....thanks for any feed back...Robert

09-24-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

this is the best comparison online
DA17-70 side by side with Sigma 17-70: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

although one website has just put out a review after using a bad sample
09-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
You might want to read this if you haven't already (plus the link in it), it's interesting:
17-70/4 review, what the .. ?

Make up your own mind, I say. I know it's wishful thinking versus hard reality, but see if you can try to test them side-by-side for yourself if you can before you buy.
09-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I can understand the range you are looking at with the 17-70mm, my question is if you already have the 18-55mm (which by the way is a fantastic kit lens, better than the canon and Nikon Kits)You haven't gained much range or focal length at all. If it were me (since I have thought long and hard about lenses I want and need before I bought them.) I would be going for a 50-200mm or even something in the 50 -300mm range. In the lower focal lengths the Pentax 16-45mm is a great lens and for the widest angle the Pentax 10-17mm is really the ticket. but if it is a matter of funds, I would say the 50-200mm (about $180-$240 USD) and a great little Zenitar 16mm F2.8 (around $140.00 USD straight from Russia. I know your thinking Fisheye but this lens is great for wide shots and if used right you don't get the fisheye effect. (I use it for landscape work and it is a fantastic clear and spot on lens.)
Hope this helps and widens your view.

10-26-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rmspar72 Quote
This my first post here..I have a K10d and 18-55 of course the kits lens...I will be purchasing the Pentaz 50mm 1.4 for sure ....any opinions here for the Pentax 17-70 F4 zoom verses the Sigma 17-70 2.8? I read the reviews for both & like the Sigma from a price perspective but would be open to the pentax if there is a big difference in quality images....thanks for any feed back...Robert
I'm using the Sigma in preference to the Pentax kit. There are two reasons:

The larger aperture of the Sigma allows me to shoot indoors more often without flash. Available light makes me happy.

The longer reach at 70mm means that I can avoid a certain number of lens changes. I have found a lot of occasions, like family gatherings or in museums, where I will use anything from 17mm to 70mm in the space of a few minutes. I found the kit lens kept me yearning for just a little more reach.

At my level of ignorance, I'm paying more attention to composition and exposure than I am to IQ, CA, etc. I'm willing to give up a bit of quality here and there to get ease of use.

Does that help??

Last edited by glanglois; 10-26-2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: typo
10-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi,

I went with the Sigma 17-70 as an upgrade to the 18-55 & found the decision a very good one...

I've read some posts where it's said that the 17-70 isn't much of an upgrade IQ wise to the kit lens - I strongly disagree with that. From my experience the Sigma is a big step-up in IQ, I was quite disapponted with my kit lens...

regarding the Pentax vs Sigma 17-70...from what I've read unless SDM is an esssential requirement the Pentax doesn't seem to have much, if anything, over the Sigma, certainly not enough to justify the large price difference.

Simon