Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2018, 03:31 PM   #16

If a 21-35mm f/3.5-4 classifies as wide enough, my screw-mount Sigma takes a 67mm filter. It's got a built-in "petal" lens hood, so any adaptor has to be "spot-on" so's it lines up properly, which also makes it a bit fiddly to use with filters, but it's an option

11-01-2018, 05:51 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Wow... thanks for all the replies etc. Food for thought indeed and lots of lenses to research.

Someone mentioned that with a filter you might get vignetting etc, this has come to be my experience also on certain lenses... perhaps it's time to think about moving onto those square system filters?

Ok... so if then considering dumping all screw in type filters and go with the square systems, how does it work... i mean what options do we Pentaxians have? How do they install onto the lens/camera? What brands are recommended etc (cost vs quality etc).

I may make a separate thread about this but I'll see how the response goes for this, if as good as before then definitely no need

Some picts with my Soligor 17/3.5 (probably the same lens as the Vivitar 17/4)

Not totally horrible.
In fact, it gets the job done even for A4 prints.
Just that it does not even compare to a cheap Samyang 14/2.8 IQ wise nowadays on digital.

Ok...
As for slot filter systems, they do have the advantage of faster removal to check focus and composition.
To me the downsides are size and more importantly storage/handling of the glass filter itself.
On my most recent trip to New Zealand, I left my filter on my bed, climbed onto it, and ...... well.... no more ND filter for my UWA for the rest of the trip

There are plenty of options out there for the holder, I use the Laowa holder for the Laowa 12/2.8 and the Haida holder for the Samyang 14/2.8
There is a Haida holder for the DFA 15-35
11-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe a good question is:
What filters do you want to use?
Many old film era WAs had built-ins, but these were mostly for use w/B&W film.
Digital is usually about a Polarizer and/or NDs, Many of the other effect filters can be applied in post-processing.
For UWA, as mentioned above, polarizers are not real useful, or desired.
NDs can work well in a holder, particularly graduated NDs to darken skies, they almost have to be in a holders so you can adjust the effect to the horizon.

is there something else you are thinking about?
11-02-2018, 01:13 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I see most landscape photogs using the square filters anyways regardless of what lens they're using. They're able to set them up and put them away really fast.

11-02-2018, 06:20 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Tokina 17mm f3.5 has threads. I've not used it, it's supposed to be decent, not great.
Tamron 17 SP Adaptall-2 has threads in the hood. They're huge, like 86mm or some nonsense. I do have this lens and the hood/filter thread situation is the only thing I don't like about it.

Sigma and Tamron had some 17-35mm zooms with AF that had filter threads. FF lenses.
Pentax 12-24 has threads, isn't full frame, but works from something like 18mm out to 24mm. Before that you get a black circle on the edges of the image.

All of the Sigma and Tokina 24mm primes from the film days had threads. Sigma Super-Wide II AF had 49mm filter threads. That lens seems to be very good although not built "tough" and sometimes commands silly amounts for the k-mount flavor. The DA 15 Ltd gives a field of view just wider than this lens.
I have the Tokina 17mm f3.5 and I think its a great lens with no filters attached - under-expose by half a stop and it gives images that look like it has a polariser fitted (i.e. very intense colours). It is generally about $100 in the market these days so a cheap test for anyone wanting a wide angle to enjoy, and takes 67mm filters.

I bought it when using a LX body and Fujichrome 50 film so the colours were very impressive in slide format and there was no vignette with a UV or PL filter, or a graduated ND. Now on my APS-C sensor it is not as wide a view but same intensity. I have used an old PL polariser and it works well with the digital sensor, but a circular polariser screws up the corners and edges of the image, so I expect it would be horrendous on FF digital.

Last edited by Gary H Perth; 11-02-2018 at 06:38 AM.
11-02-2018, 06:27 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA20/2.8 takes 67mm filters.
But I'll stick with the Lee 150 system for my DFA15-30
11-03-2018, 03:30 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I'm still researching wide angle lenses for full frame
it seems a lot of the ultra wide ones are not compatible with thread filters
I'm currently curious if we're able to do a search for wide angle lenses that can still take regular filters... like... what's the cut off mm before they seem to not manage to have a thread etc?
I mean I know the HD DA 15mm could take filters, I'm curious of an equivalent FoV for FF, that also can take filters...
Wide Angle Lenses on FF are 24-35mm. Ultra wide angle covers 15-23mm.
The Crop Factor Unmasked - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Für UWA FA 20mm 2.8 offers a filter thread as well as the FA 20-35mm 4.0 and others.
Full Frame Lenses with Autofocus | PentaxForums.com
SMC Pentax-FA 20mm F2.8 Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens DatabaseSMC Pentax-FA 20-35mm F4 AL Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
smc PENTAX-FA 20-35mmF4AL / Wide-Angle Lenses / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

Someone mentioned that with a filter you might get vignetting etc, this has come to be my experience also on certain lenses...
perhaps it's time to think about moving onto those square system filters?
Vignetting could occur if you choose filters without slim thread. For daily use, only threaded filters are really practically.
That's what Pentax did make the filter slot in the lens hood for
Lens hood with filter window - PentaxForums.com
Attached Images

Last edited by angerdan; 11-03-2018 at 03:42 AM.
11-03-2018, 11:16 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Sigma 12-24mm f4.5-5.6 EX DG sort of meets this criteria. The lens has a permanent petal hood with no threads, but it comes with a slip-on adapter that is threaded, and is what the pinch-style lens cap attaches to. 82mm filters fit the adapter. No idea as to what part of the zoom range could be used with a filter on a FF body without vignetting, as I only have crop-sensor bodies.

11-03-2018, 12:10 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
That's what Pentax did make the filter slot in the lens hood for Lens hood with filter window - PentaxForums.com
This seemed like a good idea, so when I acquired a DA 18-55mm and a DA 50-200mm really cheaply (£3 each ) I thought I'd "treat" myself to the accessories, an OEM lens-hood for each and a 52mm polariser. No wonder the hoods were so cheap, they presumably never sold ... the little "doors" have a death wish and jump off the lens and into the most inaccessible corners as soon as the wind changes, they really are not very secure at all!

Trying to operate the polariser through the access slot if it's mounted under the lens really isn't very practical, none of my fingers seem to point in the right direction and if you want to work in "portrait" mode the "door" really does need to be replaced to maximise the effect of the hood.

A nice idea, poorly implemented
11-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
  1. No wonder the hoods were so cheap, they presumably never sold ...
  2. the little "doors" have a death wish and jump off the lens and into the most inaccessible corners as soon as the wind changes, they really are not very secure at all!
  3. Trying to operate the polariser through the access slot if it's mounted under the lens really isn't very practical, none of my fingers seem to point in the right direction
  4. and if you want to work in "portrait" mode the "door" really does need to be replaced to maximise the effect of the hood
  5. A nice idea, poorly implemented
  1. The hoods are included accessory with the lenses, buying them separately costs about $10-40 depending on the lens model. They're not really cheap
  2. My OEM PL windows never went off the lens in eight years
  3. One finger is enough to control the filter. always moving towards the same direction helps.
  4. You can close the window with the PL filter window cap
  5. Only Olympus and Sony did it better with using a non removable window
11-03-2018, 01:30 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I see most landscape photogs using the square filters anyways regardless of what lens they're using. They're able to set them up and put them away really fast.
That has been my observation as well. I have also noticed that some hand-hold their grads rather than using the frame.

Steve

(...not a filter user for digital...)
11-04-2018, 02:07 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
  1. The hoods are included accessory with the lenses, buying them separately costs about $10-40 depending on the lens model. They're not really cheap
  2. My OEM PL windows never went off the lens in eight years
  3. One finger is enough to control the filter. always moving towards the same direction helps.
  4. You can close the window with the PL filter window cap
It can be quite surprising how different two people's experiences of the same piece of equipment can be ... simply shows we're not all built the same
11-04-2018, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

I like the filter window in Pentax hoods. I permanently leave the door off on lenses I frequently use with a circular polarizer or variable ND. Stray light mostly comes from above and the sides; the small hood gap below is insignificant.
11-04-2018, 06:58 AM   #29

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I like the filter window in Pentax hoods. I permanently leave the door off on lenses I frequently use with a circular polarizer or variable ND. Stray light mostly comes from above and the sides; the small hood gap below is insignificant.
I might try that. Currently, I find removing and replacing the hood the quickest method for me. When I'm shooting from the shade, I tend to leave the hood off.
11-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Wow... thanks for all the replies etc. Food for thought indeed and lots of lenses to research.
How's the progress of your research?