Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2018, 03:02 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which classic 50mm f1.4?

Thinking about getting a 50mm f1.4 for my K3, either a K 50, M 50 or A 50. I do not want a M42, as although I am happy to use the green button and manual metering I do not want the added hassle, of stopping the lens down manually. Does anyone have comparative experience of these lenses. I already have a K 55mm f1.8, M 50 and A 50 f1.7, and DA 50 f1.8, so I know I am indulging myself!

11-01-2018, 03:13 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Thinking about getting a 50mm f1.4 for my K3, either a K 50, M 50 or A 50. I do not want a M42, as although I am happy to use the green button and manual metering I do not want the added hassle, of stopping the lens down manually. Does anyone have comparative experience of these lenses. I already have a K 55mm f1.8, M 50 and A 50 f1.7, and DA 50 f1.8, so I know I am indulging myself!

I have an A 50/1.4 and it is sweet! So much so, I sold off my nice copy of the A50/1.7....

hugely versatile, great colors and bokeh...

SMC A 50mm f1.4 | Flickr
11-01-2018, 03:29 AM   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The are all depressingly similar. Sample variation would account for more difference than Model. This thread ran just the other day.
Super Takumar 1.4/50mm 8-Element "killer" vs 7-Element Sample Comparison - PentaxForums.com
11-01-2018, 03:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The M would probably be cheapest and easiest to find. They are all pretty similar from Takumar to FA with obvious differences in mount version and body.

11-01-2018, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a variety of 50's and would lean towards the A50/1.4. Not only do I think it is a very nice lens regarding rendering and sharpness, but it also has the aperture control, and I find that really nice when using my older lenses. I have plenty of M42 glass and other manual K mount lenses I use without the automatic aperture, but I find there is an extra level of thought to track what aperture while shooting, and it's really nice to have it there in the viewfinder, a thumb wheel away from adjustment - I can never remember the clicks, so that's another round of lowering the camera, yes, that's the aperture I want, back up to the eye, and so forth. May or may not affect your shooting style, but I find having that A capability of the lens a nice feature that makes me lean to those variations of A lenses over other fully manual cousins.
11-01-2018, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Which classic 50mm f1.4?
No one mentioned the DFA*50 AW. It's a very good lens.
11-01-2018, 04:55 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
None of the AF versions were mentioned in the OP's list. I just picked up the FA but I'm assuming the OP wants manual focus. I'd also assume that someone interested in those isn't in the market for the high cost DFA.

11-01-2018, 04:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A bit beyond my budget though!
11-01-2018, 05:01 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Apart the slightly wider aperture you won't notice any difference to what you have already. Anecdotally, I believe the K 50mm 1.4 is preferred of the three. I have the M 1.4 and 1.7 and cannot tell them apart as far as sharpness is concerned. Why not go the extra mile and get a K 50mm 1.2 (or the A). Now that is a different beast altogether with buttery smooth bokeh. It is significantly larger and heavier than any of the 1.4/1.7/2.0 range.

Sounds like you might be coming down with Lens Aquisition Syndrome. There is no cure i will warn you !

If you want a cheaper alternative suggestion you could go for the M or K 50mm f4 Macro, but beware these can suffer from balsam separation so check out the listings carefully.
11-01-2018, 05:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

If you don't want to stop the lens down manually, the A is the one you want.
11-01-2018, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Optics of the M, A, and FA versions are identical, and it seems the coatings as well.
If you don't like stop-down measuring, it would leave the A and the FA.

Prices of used FAs in Germany are about double versus the A.
This would be only for AF and some additional information for in-camera corrections. But then the 1.4 does not need much corrections (in some cases maybe slight vignetting).

@pschlute
I have not tested it myself, but referring to many comments in this forum and others, it seems the 1.4 has a slightly bigger field curvation, whereas the 1.7 has nearly macro lens characteristics.. If so, you would probably only see this difference shooting flat (2D) objects with fully open aperture at short distances.
11-01-2018, 05:18 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Apart the slightly wider aperture you won't notice any difference to what you have already. Anecdotally, I believe the K 50mm 1.4 is preferred of the three. I have the M 1.4 and 1.7 and cannot tell them apart as far as sharpness is concerned. Why not go the extra mile and get a K 50mm 1.2 (or the A). Now that is a different beast altogether with buttery smooth bokeh. It is significantly larger and heavier than any of the 1.4/1.7/2.0 range.

Sounds like you might be coming down with Lens Aquisition Syndrome. There is no cure i will warn you !

If you want a cheaper alternative suggestion you could go for the M or K 50mm f4 Macro, but beware these can suffer from balsam separation so check out the listings carefully.
Coming down with LAS?! Already in an advanced state of that particular affliction! But "I don't need no cure, I'll just stay a victim, if I can for sure."
11-01-2018, 05:23 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'd also assume that someone interested in those isn't in the market for the high cost DFA.
I saw that maybe the OP was not aware of this new DFA*50, that's why I wanted to share this knowledge. I wouldn't say the DFA*50 isn't high cost, it's a normal cost of products released in 2018 and it's the new classic 50. It's very good lens. Only for info , the excellent review is here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-d-fa-50mm-f1-4-sdm-aw/introduction.html

Last edited by biz-engineer; 11-01-2018 at 05:29 AM.
11-01-2018, 05:53 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I saw that maybe the OP was not aware of this new DFA*50, that's why I wanted to share this knowledge. I wouldn't say the DFA*50 isn't high cost, it's a normal cost of products released in 2018 and it's the new classic 50. It's very good lens. Only for info , the excellent review is here: HD Pentax-D FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
I'm fairly certain the OP wasn't unaware. And that compared to the lenses he listed the DFA is in another realm pricewise...

However I'm not intending to say the DFA is overpriced. Compared to similar lenses of modern optics the lens is priced fairly. I personally don't see the need for such a lens for my own needs, but I'm not going to look down on those who do need it. Or even those who just want it

---------- Post added 11-01-18 at 08:56 AM ----------

As for the original question, the K and or M will be better built than the A. The A is easier to use, both may have some exposure issues depending on how you set exposure. The most reliable method appears to be full optical preview, but given a little creative exposure effort the files can easily be recovered as long as you don't blow highlights.
11-01-2018, 06:05 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Seems like you have more than enough of 50:s already.

Have you used m42 lenses before? I ask because IMO they are easier to use than fully manual K-mount lenses (pre A-series)
With m42 you do not need to use green button, and can use aperture priority instead, which can be more convenient.
If you only stop down 2-3 stops (from f/1.4) you do not need to need to switch to fully open aperture, and can just keep the lens stopped down.

Takumar m42 lenses are also a little different from the lenses you have, with generally better build quality.