Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
40mm 2.8 XS discontinued in 2016 ?

In german Ricoh Imaging website the XS is on the discontinued list.
smc PENTAX-DA 40 mm F2,8 XS - RICOH IMAGING DEUTSCHLAND GmbH

Last time it has been included on the official product list seems to be 2015 - in 2017 the XS was already missing.
"Produktuebersicht-D_A_-01_04_17.pdf"

Price get unstable in early 2016.
Preisentwicklung für Pentax smc DA 40mm 2.8 XS schwarz (22137) (90 Tage) heise online Preisvergleich / Deutschland

Any information about the discontinuation of this lens?

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Produktuebersicht-D_A_-01_04_17.pdf (1.13 MB, 84 views)
11-03-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think it was indeed discontinued. Not much of a point to have this lens around given the discontinuation of the K-01 and existence of the Limited version.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Its life was not much longer than the K-01, the last one of which I saw at a dealer in 2014.

Steve
11-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Its life was not much longer than the K-01, the last one of which I saw at a dealer in 2014.
Steve
I just picked a new one (NOS) up for a steal last month. Really makes the K-70 stealthier and so far I like the output (minus the purple fringing that is).

11-04-2018, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Why should it be discontinued? It works fine with any newer K-mount camera. Even full frame. Its main advantages are lower price and shorter length compared to the 40mm limited. The limited have a different set of advantages. Two different products.
11-04-2018, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just picked up one too, basically new for $120. I have been quite impressed with it on the K1 But as others have noted it was designed for "The Brick" (K-01). Personally I hate the 'lenscap' and that's my main beef about the lens. But it does give me access to a near normal, non-manual, lens for the K1. A true feather weight that delivers.
11-04-2018, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
I just picked up one too, basically new for $120. I have been quite impressed with it on the K1 But as others have noted it was designed for "The Brick" (K-01). Personally I hate the 'lenscap' and that's my main beef about the lens. But it does give me access to a near normal, non-manual, lens for the K1. A true feather weight that delivers.
Lenscap-hack that I use: a STEP UP ADAPTER 27MM-49MM (fleebay) and a regular 49mm pinchcap. Another benefit is that the same 49mm Haida ND1000 I bought for the Ricoh GR now fits the K-70 with the 40mm as well.
Attached Images

11-04-2018, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

it was [ is ] the best lens in its class

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think it was indeed discontinued. Not much of a point to have this lens around given the discontinuation of the K-01 and existence of the Limited version.
unless you like, as previously posted by stemked and Simen1, its:

- size

- quality

- price

" Our test copy of the DA 40mm XS produced excellent images in all conditions, ranging from close-ups to distant landscapes.It wasn't quite as sharp at the edges and corners as our DA 35mm, but it was more consistent across the frame, and seemed to be the best all-around performer. Chromatic aberrations were comparable to the DA 35mm, though it displayed nothing near the control of the DA 40mm Limited—differences in coating, perhaps? Distortion was a non-issue. Bokeh is marginally improved over the DA 40mm Limited thanks to the nine rounded aperture blades. Autofocus was fast and accurate. The build quality was surprisingly tight and rugged for an all-polycarbonate unit, and its tiny size definitely made the camera easier to carry on long, hot summer days. I could see this lens living on my camera for large chunks of time, and I get why it was packaged as the kit lens with the K-01: it's a very good compromise choice. . . .

Value

As an alternative to the DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited for budget-minded buyers, the DA 40mm XS is a godsend. It offers near-identical performance at a significant discount, and while it might not be quite the mechanical jewel that its big brother is, it's a very well-built piece of kit. Its only real competition is the DA 35mm f/2.4, which is faster and wider and clocks in at nearly 30% off the DA 40mm XS's asking price. We think the DA 40 XS is the nicer lens, all around, but the DA 35mm has a lot going for it as well. . . .

The DA 40 XS is by far the smallest and lightest APS-C lens currently being made, and is a brilliant street-shooting tool, much like its skinny-but-not-emaciated elder brother. We find 40mm to be a bit of a swiss army knife focal length on a crop-sensor camera—take a few steps toward your subject and it becomes a lovely short portrait lens, take a few steps back and it can capture landscapes, architecture (to a certain extent), and serve as a general walkaround tool.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/da-35mm-40mm-limited-xs-shootout/the-bo...#ixzz5VyjLaIMc

The SMC Pentax DA 40mm XS is based on the optical design of the SMC Pentax DA 40mm Limited, but its exterior is designed by Marc Newson so as to match the design of the K-01 mirrorless camera. The lens will work with Pentax DSLRs as well as with the K-01.

It is smaller being only 9.2 mm thick. The aperture blades are rounded which produces a smooth bokeh. The front element has SP coating which repels dust, water and grease and which makes it easier to wipe the front element clean.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/smc-pentax-da-40mm-f2.8-xs.html#ixzz5W52mDE3z

not everyone can afford the Limited nor want to pay its price

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-06-2018 at 06:20 AM. Reason: added comments from the review and comparison
11-05-2018, 04:32 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Lenscap-hack that I use: a STEP UP ADAPTER 27MM-49MM (fleebay) and a regular 49mm pinchcap. Another benefit is that the same 49mm Haida ND1000 I bought for the Ricoh GR now fits the K-70 with the 40mm as well.

or get a cheap 27mm filter on the lens, glue the press on cap onto the filter and you have a screw on cap
11-05-2018, 05:01 AM   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
or replace the entire hood/cap arrangement with a standard low-profile screw-in hood and pinch cap...
11-06-2018, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've owned the DA 40 Limited. The XS is just as good optically. It's perfect on my K-1, K10D, *ist, and Super Program (it makes the last two pocketable). I keep it on the K-1 as a "lens cap" in my camera bag.
QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
Personally I hate the 'lenscap' and that's my main beef about the lens. But it does give me access to a near normal, non-manual, lens for the K1. A true feather weight that delivers.
I use this as a lens cap. No step-up rings or modifications needed. It's only $0.76 shipped, so I figured it would be worth a try. It is a snug, perfect fit.
27mm Plastic Snap on Front Lens Cap Cover for DC SLR DSLR camera DV Leica Sony | eBay

I wish Pentax would expand the XS line with a couple more lenses.