Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2008, 04:14 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I have since purchased a 16-45, and an SMC Takumar A 50/f1.7here from forum users. I am interested in this AF 1.4/5/7 teleconverter you talk about (what strength you recommend 1.7, 2.0 etc) and a macro ring (flash, right)? I would like to be able to get some good shots of insects, etc. I have recently taken an interest in street photography as well. I have done some reading and understand that TCs can affect IQ, any opinion on that?

Last edited by Aaron1971; 10-01-2008 at 05:00 PM.
10-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron1971 Quote
I have since purchased a 16-45, and an SMC Takumar A 50/f1.7here from forum users. I am interested in this AF 1.4/5/7 teleconverter you talk about (what strength you recommend 1.7, 2.0 etc) and a macro ring (flash, right)? I would like to be able to get some good shots of insects, etc. I have recently taken an interest in street photography as well. I have done some reading and understand that TCs can affect IQ, any opinion on that?
I have both the Pentax A 1.4X-S (short) and the AF 1.7X converters. I have the short to use on my 400, because the -L version won't fit into the barrel of the lens (the -L has lens elements in front of the converter mount). Losing two stops of light makes the 2X converters a no go for me. The 1.7X AF I am aiming mostly to try with the M 100/4 macro. That will give me a 170mm macro, with fine tune AF. I have yet to test the combination, but will post in this lens forum with my results.
10-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
what kind of high school sports? if it's soccer, football, baseball or other outdoor sports, you may want to consider the tamron 70-300. it's about 150-ish, is very sharp and has a macro function. just to be warned though, it is a lens you have to be "careful" with as it has quite a bit of purple fringing in scenes w/ high contrast. of course, there are software solutions to this issue so for me it has been a great asset when I want/ need some reach. and since I don't use long lenses too much, for me, the occasional use justifies my unwillingness to part w/ a lot of $s. However, if you're doing indoor shooting, perhaps a fast used 135 may be helpful... they are typically manual focus/aperture, but will give you good reach for most indoor applications while allowing you to get enough light into your cam w/ out cranking up the iso til you get too much grain/noise in your pics.

if you are in need of a wide angle lens, the sigma 17-35 on amazon for 200-ish may be a good choice. I took many pictures in my DC trip and found it very useful and good. In fact I may sell mine since I now own the pentax 12-24, but I may keep it for my second kit... EDIT: just looked on amazon to see if this lens was still for sale and it's not! so... perhaps another kit lens for the wide area (the tamron 28-75 clearly does better than the kit lens, but just for the wide shots)? or zenitar 16mm fisheye on ebay for 150-ish? just some ideas... there's also the sigma 18-50 on amazon for 280-ish (note: it's not the macro model so I think I've heard that the image quality is not as good as the macro version... not to say it's bad; I don't know one way or the other).