Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New K10D owner needs advice.......

Hi all, I know you are probably tired of these kinds of posts but I really am stuck! I just bought a K10D (step up from K100D). I have the 18-55 kit lens, and the DA 50-200 already. The K100D and these lenses will be Christmas presents for my son.

My question is, seeing that I've just dropped a little less than $500 on a camera, what lenses can anybody recommend for my new camera? Keep in mind that my wife has no photography background so doesn't necessarily "appreciate" the value of a great lens.

I wouldn't mind moving up the quality chain without breaking the bank. I would like to learn all of the potential of the K10D. I thus far shoot mostly "touristy" shots and highschool sporting events. I love B&W, and would love to explore macro.

As you can see I have no idea what direction to go with my LBA....
Maybe just a good quality GP lens...

Now that I have rattled on....thanks for any help.

09-24-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron1971 Quote
Hi all, I know you are probably tired of these kinds of posts but I really am stuck! I just bought a K10D (step up from K100D). I have the 18-55 kit lens, and the DA 50-200 already. The K100D and these lenses will be Christmas presents for my son.

My question is, seeing that I've just dropped a little less than $500 on a camera, what lenses can anybody recommend for my new camera? Keep in mind that my wife has no photography background so doesn't necessarily "appreciate" the value of a great lens.

I wouldn't mind moving up the quality chain without breaking the bank. I would like to learn all of the potential of the K10D. I thus far shoot mostly "touristy" shots and highschool sporting events. I love B&W, and would love to explore macro.

Without knowing what you consider "breaking the bank", the new, slower so we can sell 'em cheaper Limited lenses are all very good lenses, and I think very reasonably priced for what they are.
The new F/2.8 zooms are very good, though the 16-50 is infamous for having a higher than acceptable rate of QC issues that adversely affects the optical quality.
The soon ( I hope) to be released 60-250mm lens should be very good based on the preproduction pictures I have seen from it also.
09-24-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Why not get one of the 18-250's Pentax or Tamron. You get all the ranges covered in one lens and you can work out what focal lengths you use the most and buy primes accordingly.
Your wife just has to zoom in or out if she wants to use the camera in autofocus..
Then your 18-250 becomes a family lens.
09-24-2008, 11:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
I have been looking at the DA 55-300, any thoughts compared to the 18-250?

09-25-2008, 02:57 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Without knowing what you consider "breaking the bank", the new, slower so we can sell 'em cheaper Limited lenses are all very good lenses, and I think very reasonably priced for what they are.
The new F/2.8 zooms are very good, though the 16-50 is infamous for having a higher than acceptable rate of QC issues that adversely affects the optical quality.
The soon ( I hope) to be released 60-250mm lens should be very good based on the preproduction pictures I have seen from it also.
Well let's say I have $700USD not including shipping. I was thinking a kit 18-55 and a DA 55-300. I had an FA J 75-300 but it was dropped off of the top bleacher at a football game. I would like to get a good walk-around and I think the DA 55-300 is a good zoom, any knowledge or experience anyone can impart would be greatly appreciated. I am a relative noobie and need some guidance.
09-25-2008, 03:01 AM   #6
Damn Brit

I have been looking at the DA 55-300, any thoughts compared to the 18-250?
Your still stuck with the kit lens for the 18-55 otherwise no objection to the 55-300.
If you want to go longer and keep some of the wide end, Tamron do a 28-300. I have one and I've got some shots I'm happy with using it.
09-25-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
the new, slower so we can sell 'em cheaper Limited lenses are all very good lenses
Yes, and remember, they aren't just slower to make them cheaper - also to make them smaller. I personally can't recommend the DA40 highly enough as a relatively inexpensive but incredibly good lens if the focal length appeals to you as much as it does to me. That plus a general purpose zoom or two would be a great start, I think.
09-29-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you have ready access to the gifted lenses at a future date, why not get a nice, fast prime lens? People are swearing by the 40mm while I'm loving my FA 35mm F2 on the K10D. Of course, you could always look at the 50mm F1.4; none of the three will break the bank but *will* give you plenty of fun with your new purchase.

09-29-2008, 10:33 PM   #9
Igilligan

I will throw another option out...

Get the tamron 28-75 F2.8 first... then later the 55-300 if you want the extra reach. I have a bunch of lenses but the 28-75 is on the camera most.

Saw one used in this forums marketplace for a real good price just recently, and even new they were only around 349 I think.

Just another option to confuse....
09-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Get the tamron 28-75 F2.8 first... then later the 55-300 if you want the extra reach. I have a bunch of lenses but the 28-75 is on the camera most.

Saw one used in this forums marketplace for a real good price just recently, and even new they were only around 349 I think.

Just another option to confuse....
that's probably pretty good advice.
09-30-2008, 03:59 AM   #11
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, if 28mm is wide enough for you, it's the best and most economical choice.
If it aint wide enough, a DA 16-45 or Tamron 17-50 or even Sigma 17-70 are top choices too.
You'll find a loss of some image quality with the superzooms.
09-30-2008, 04:14 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks to all....I have recently purchased a 16-45, and an SMC A 50/f1.7 from posters. The LBA is starting to fade for now, however, who knows when the next flare-up will occur.
09-30-2008, 05:10 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks to all....I have recently purchased a 16-45, and an SMC A 50/f1.7 from posters.
Excellent choices!
09-30-2008, 05:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

These two lenses are in deed great choices.
10-01-2008, 06:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

If you don't know where to go, I suggest you first try a few things before spending too many $$'s.
One option is macro, portret and low light.
First, buy the FA 50 / 1.4, a VERY good / sharp low light lens with a very shallow depth at 1.4.
It surely is a GREAT lens and a keeper!

Combined with a 1.4/5/7 AF teleconverter the FA 50 is a pretty good portret lens and combined with a cheap macro ring (pretty low cost) it becomes a very good and low cost macro combination.

The advantage of buying the tele & macro converter rings is that you can also use them on your existing lenses.
The 55-200 lens suddenly becomes a 75-300 mm or something like that, or it can function as a tele-macro lens.
Find out if these ranges are usefull for you.

This way you spend less than $700, you may get several of these items second hand at a good price and you have enough left to buy a Metz 58 flash with diffusor and a tripod.

After some time, when you understand better what you'd like to have, invest in the right (expensive) lenses.

Success,

- Bert