Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Recommend me budget 300mm for kid activities

Sorry if this is a straightforward question, but I have been out of the serious hobby photography world for the last few years due to my two munchkins. My oldest is now getting into sports, I am finding my DA 55-200 lacking.

I am looking for a budget 300mm lens to mostly use at my son's baseball/soccer games. It doesn't need to be fancy or weather sealed...just good enough to take sharp enough close-ups to please the wife. Pentax or 3rd party makes no difference, so long as it has a reasonably competent auto-focus.

Thanks.

11-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Guess it depends what you mean by 'budget'!

I'd go for an older version of the DA 55-300

55-300 review

BH Photo for 55-300

Or, better yet, the latest version of the DA 55-300 with that new shiny PLM auto-focus motor!

55-300 PLM review

BH Photo for 55-300 PLM

Last edited by FozzFoster; 11-05-2018 at 02:54 PM.
11-05-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
be sure to check out the market place

you might get surprised what your budget might allow you to get
11-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The Pentax 55-300 is a solid performer in teh budget AF range with 300 at the long end. I just sold one that was WR for $175 in the marketplace that was in great shape. Good luck.

11-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Which camera body? The older screwdrive 55-300 will work with any Pentax DSLR. The 55-300 PLM focuses much faster but only works with recent cameras.
11-05-2018, 02:56 PM   #6
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The 55-300 PLM focuses much faster but only works with recent cameras.
Nice catch DeadJohn!
11-05-2018, 02:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Which camera body? The older screwdrive 55-300 will work with any Pentax DSLR. The 55-300 PLM focuses much faster but only works with recent cameras.
He did say budget - the PLM is anything but a "budget" lens at nearly 50% more than the old version.

11-05-2018, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
Sorry if this is a straightforward question, but I have been out of the serious hobby photography world for the last few years due to my two munchkins. My oldest is now getting into sports, I am finding my DA 55-200 lacking.

I am looking for a budget 300mm lens to mostly use at my son's baseball/soccer games. It doesn't need to be fancy or weather sealed...just good enough to take sharp enough close-ups to please the wife. Pentax or 3rd party makes no difference, so long as it has a reasonably competent auto-focus.

Thanks.
I would get the 55-300mm PLM just for its fast AF. It'd still consider it to be a budget lens by the telephoto definition of a "budget" For the purpose of action, I'm not sure if the old screwdrive version of the 55-300mm would feel any better than your 50-200mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-05-2018, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #9
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
He did say budget - the PLM is anything but a "budget" lens at nearly 50% more than the old version.
Oh! The post police are here! :P

I did recommend the 50% cheaper older version first...

And, I did also say, 'depends what budget means'... the PLM could definitely be considered a budget lens when compared to something like the 300mm f/2.8 or f/4! Now THAT would be anything but a budget lens :P
11-05-2018, 03:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Used DAL 55-300 in EX+ condition, with caps and hood, $133. More available in lesser condition and fewer accessories. The DAL has a plastic mount but is otherwise optically the same as the current weather-sealed version. Pentax 55-300mm F/4-5.8 SMC DAL ED K Mount Autofocus Lens For APS-C Sensor DSLRS {58} at KEH Camera Store

@pentaxian_tmb, please post some sample photos that are lacking. Include your settings for ISO, shutter speed, and focal length. If you're getting motion blur we can suggest settings that might improve your current lens.
11-05-2018, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you can possibly save up for the PLM version, do so. I have both, and the focus speed is night and day, and you say you want to shoot sports. Get the PLM version. You won't regret it. Also, I feel the optical performance on my screw drive version is pretty ho-hum. The PLM is much much nicer. Maybe I just got a steller copy, but it compares favorably with my DA* 60-250 - was really surprised how good the shots look side by side - the PLM holds it's own quite well. And you are headed into a great time of the year to snag one on a sale. Use the price watch here and check B&H and Adorama daily, and you might hit a nice deal.
11-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
If you can possibly save up for the PLM version, do so. I have both, and the focus speed is night and day, and you say you want to shoot sports. Get the PLM version. . . .
Fly in the ointment time folks

according to the OP's profile, he has:

" K20D, K100D Super, K-01, Q, Pentax Film SLRs "

the PLM version of that lens is not recommended

*This lens uses an electric focus-by-wire system and will not focus (even manually) on cameras older than the Pentax K100D super (2006).
**Because the aperture is controlled electronically, this lens can only stop down when used with compatible cameras. The Pentax K-50, K-S1, K-S2, K-3, K-3 II, and K-1 are supported via a camera firmware update; the Pentax K-70, Pentax KP and all 2017 or newer bodies will work out of the box. The aperture diaphragm will always remain wide-open on unsupported bodies.

In an nutshell, this lens fully compatible with recent DSLRs but shouldn't be used on older bodies or film cameras.

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2018 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA".

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts unless they are singled out in the table below. So for compatibility of a DA* lens, look under DA lenses, etc.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering. . . .

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
11-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
K-5ii

K-01

---------- Post added 11-05-18 at 05:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Fly in the ointment time folks

according to the OP's profile:

" K20D, K100D Super, K-01, Q, Pentax Film SLRs "

oops--that needs some updating. Current digital inventory is K-5ii; K-01; K-100Dsuper; Ricoh GR
11-05-2018, 04:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Oh! The post police are here! :P

I did recommend the 50% cheaper older version first...

And, I did also say, 'depends what budget means'... the PLM could definitely be considered a budget lens when compared to something like the 300mm f/2.8 or f/4! Now THAT would be anything but a budget lens :P

Post Police? Ok, but quibbling does not become you.
11-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
. . . oops--that needs some updating. Current digital inventory is K-5ii; K-01; K-100Dsuper; Ricoh GR
so unless the OP wants to update his inventory of camera bodies,

" honey, I really need the K 3 to get good photos of the kids playing sports "

the PLM appears to be out of the running even if he found one free

[ hey pentaxian_tmb, if you do find one for free, get it and I will take it off of your hands I promise ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-05-2018 at 05:13 PM.