Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2018, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Pentax 12-24 on my K5.

11-07-2018, 09:49 PM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I should mention I do have the Tamron 10-24. Was mainly interested in a prime lens.
Well, the DA 21mm LTD is a fine choice in a prime lens, compact, premium build quality, and a versatile FL. It would outperform your Tamron zoom lens at that FL, and has a faster aperture capability. So if you are looking for a compact, high-quality prime, this one is a joy to carry and use.

That said, if you are looking for edge-to-edge performance in your landscape shots, this lens has been tested as excellent even wide open in the central image area, while rated as good in the edge areas until f/5.6 where it becomes very good, and can deliver fine results throughout.

However, also according to tests, the DA 12-24mm easily outperforms your Tamron lens, except where it is a closer situation at 24mm between the two. This Pentax lens delivers near-excellent to excellent results edge-to-edge from wide open on. It is also constant-aperture f/4 capable throughout. Distortion is unusually low, especially for a WA zoom lens, and especially from 15mm on, which would rank it highly for architectural use, including city-landscapes.
11-07-2018, 10:10 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Bertwert, beautiful photos! Hope that's not you hanging on the side of the cliff! Speaks well of the 21, being the only one you used in beautiful Scotland for two weeks!

I'm very curious about this "stitching", as I've never tried it; but that would be for another thread.
No, that's a friend of mine, I was up later
I'll see what I can do about some Scotland shots.
As far as stitching I just purposefully took overlapping shots and loaded them into Microsoft ICE, which did all the work.
11-07-2018, 10:33 PM   #49
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info on MS ICE; I'll look into that!

Looking forward to your Scotland shots. I was there, and was very taken back with the beauty.

11-07-2018, 11:26 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine on APSC is the 15mm limited, great landscape view equivalent to the 24mm on FF, light small and great starbursts if required
11-07-2018, 11:37 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Well, the DA 21mm LTD is a fine choice in a prime lens, compact, premium build quality, and a versatile FL. It would outperform your Tamron zoom lens at that FL, and has a faster aperture capability. So if you are looking for a compact, high-quality prime, this one is a joy to carry and use.

That said, if you are looking for edge-to-edge performance in your landscape shots, this lens has been tested as excellent even wide open in the central image area, while rated as good in the edge areas until f/5.6 where it becomes very good, and can deliver fine results throughout.

However, also according to tests, the DA 12-24mm easily outperforms your Tamron lens, except where it is a closer situation at 24mm between the two. This Pentax lens delivers near-excellent to excellent results edge-to-edge from wide open on. It is also constant-aperture f/4 capable throughout. Distortion is unusually low, especially for a WA zoom lens, and especially from 15mm on, which would rank it highly for architectural use, including city-landscapes.
I originally had the 16-45 which was ok, but I had read a test on the Pentax 12-24 in Popular Photography magazine, which said the 12-24 was the best of the bunch, bunch meaning ultra wide zooms. I've taken many a vintage vehicle photograph with the 12-24 on either my K10D or K5 and the 'look' it provides is almost 3D. Wonderful lens.
11-08-2018, 01:09 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! That’s a great 12-shot stitch, Robert! I’ve never tried a two-row pano, must give it a go with the 20-40 at the wide end.

11-08-2018, 01:33 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Just curious which lens is your favorite for landscapes, and why it's your favorite?
for me, this is the da12 24. I prefer its rendering a tad more than the da15 and afcourse it's much more versatile.
and the 12 24 can do beautiful starbursts as well..
11-08-2018, 01:45 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I'm a big fan of the DA 21mm which for me is a pretty good normal lens. I tend to like the wide end of normal (35mm) on film and the 21mm is pretty close to that FOV. If I'm packing light that's what I'll take. I like the integral hood/lens protection as well. My only real complaint about it is that I wish the focus ring was more dampened since I often leave it at f/5.6 and hyperfocal.

That being said, it's not weather sealed. So it's not my perfect lens. I do wish Pentax would offer the DA limiteds in WR.

Since I've purchased the DA 16-85 it's been my main lens on the camera for any sort of outdoor shooting. With it I'll bring the 12-24 or the DA 15mm if I need wider field of view or infinity focus. The 16-85mm isn't the sort of lens I thought I'd ever be excited about, but the image quality doesn't disappoint and it really doesn't have any weak points other than size. It's definitely the ideal one lens landscape solution for my needs. On the long end I'll usually bring the excellent 55-300 WR.

11-08-2018, 06:13 AM - 4 Likes   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Before I bought my 15mm LTD my only really wide lens was the Rokinon 8mm fisheye. You tend to think of fisheyes as just being wacky, but I took some excellent landscapes with it on a trip to Kauai with my K-30. You have to look closely to see that it's a fisheye.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
11-08-2018, 06:21 AM - 3 Likes   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting, I'd not heard of the starbursts with this lens. I'll definitely consider this one! Thanks!
Here:

It does that everytime.
11-08-2018, 06:23 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
They did, YEARS ago, one of the greatest lenses of all time, regardless of brand; it's called the FA31mm Limited. A 21 on APSC is actually about a 30.5mm on FF.
The 31 is a fantastic lens. However, it's not equal to the DA21 for compactness, starbursts, and I'm wishing for something below 28mm. Between 20-24 would be ideal. And please, none of these curved aperture blades on such a wide lens.
11-08-2018, 07:03 AM - 2 Likes   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Wow! That’s a great 12-shot stitch, Robert! I’ve never tried a two-row pano, must give it a go with the 20-40 at the wide end.
Thanks, it's after I was used to using the 10-17 for landscape shots, and I only had the 21 with me. I wanted wider.
Sometimes I wonder if I should have gone for the 15, however the 21 seems better suited to everyday shots.
11-08-2018, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Thanks, it's after I was used to using the 10-17 for landscape shots, and I only had the 21 with me. I wanted wider.
Sometimes I wonder if I should have gone for the 15, however the 21 seems better suited to everyday shots.
I've been thinking that same thing , "should Have gone for the 15 instead of the 21?" for 8 years now. I'm not sure you ever stop wondering that. I thought long and hard about both options, the 21 came up used so I went with the 21.

I think I really needed both. But I also really need a 31 and a 77 and a 150-450 and a pile of others. I just can't afford all the lenses I really need.
11-08-2018, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #60
Veteran Member

Here's some Scotland shots, Carol.
They're all straight out of camera, I've never got the hang of this PP thing.

This is Castle Stalker, in Appin:

Here's a shot in Fort Augustus:

And Glencoe, which could have benefited being shot with a 15, I took some shots to stitch together, but haven't got around to that yet:

I've also got a bunch from up in Caithness, and then some panorama's I can stitch and upload if you're interested to see that aspect with the 21.