Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2018, 07:23 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Correct. In my opinion, the SMC is the most desirable of the two.

With Pentax's understanding and knowledge about special lenses (just look at the three FA Limited, and even the DA Limited in their own way) I don't see how they did not present the starbursts as a feature of the 15 and 21. With the HD version, they crippled these lenses.
It just depends on what you do... I don't do the kind of photography that lends to using starbursts, for example. So for me, the HD versions would be more desirable...(1)

...except that they are more expensive on the used market, so I think I'll likely end up with a used SMC DA 21 sometime next year.(2)

(1) When Ricoh released the HD version of the DA Limiteds they said that some lenses did get small optical tweaks. I believe the DA 21 was one of them, as the tests I've seen seem to show that the lens is slightly less sharp in the center, and sharper in the corners compared to the previous SMC version. I also see that the rendering is a bit different compared to the SMC version and I like it better, but it's not a dramatic difference, both versions can capture great images.

(2) When I had decided I wanted a 30 1.4 lens for my "normal" APS-C FOV, I had gotten used to the idea that with my budget I would only be able to get the old Sigma EX version... and a Sigma Art lens came up for a very low price and I ended up with that instead. So who knows

11-09-2018, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
It just depends on what you do... I don't do the kind of photography that lends to using starbursts, for example. So for me, the HD versions would be more desirable...
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
When Ricoh released the HD version of the DA Limiteds they said that some lenses did get small optical tweaks.
The HD version has improved coatings, which could have been transferred anyway.

They also changed the iris, which is the point of discussion here.

They did not make any changes to the optical design.

My point is that they could have used the improved HD coatings while keeping the straight aperture blades and have the best of both worlds. The 21 is already a lens with a pretty dynamic bokeh, and it's a wide lens. It's not like anyone expects macro performances.
11-09-2018, 08:56 AM - 4 Likes   #78
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

you can use just about any lens for a 'landscape' lens; just depends upon you and what you want...

for me, if it's an actual landscape that I'm after, I'll probably choose a wider lens...

DA 14/2.8 (this is a stitched pano)

or DA 21 Limited

or Tamron 01BB

or DA 40 Limited

or, for zooms, the DA 18-135

Tamron 44A

or the Stack o' Primes, A35-105mm

11-09-2018, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #79
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great shots showing what different lenses are capable of!

11-09-2018, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably the A 35mm on the 645 system (film or 645D).
Nice and sharp with a smooth dampened focus ring.

On K mount (K-1ii) it's the 15-30 or 24-70.

Sometimes I like to take long landscapes so that would make the A 200 on 645, A* 300 on either system, or Tamron 70-200 on K mount good contendors too. Landscape as a photo category is very broad and not necessarily suited to one particular lens.
11-09-2018, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #81
Veteran Member

But....

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Bdery, that starburst is awesome, that really sells me on the 21!
It's not 'limited' to the 21; all of the Limiteds, in the green band days (SMC, NOT HD) could do awesome starbursts; here's one from the 15:

Cheers,
Cameron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
11-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Favorite "Landscape Lens"?

I recently went to Spain (Sept 2018) from the US and this question dogged me before I left. Space was limited so I took my KS-2 with my Sigma 18-300mm DC Macro HSM to allow for most situations. I also brought my DA 35mm AL. I never put the DA 35mm AL on the camera as the needs were constantly changing. I don't know if the 18-300mm is my favorite, but I did get some really nice shots. I also discovered an issue with this lense and that is at the low end. At 18mm the corners of the photos were clipped. Don't know what the technical term is for that, but I had to crop a bunch of photos to remove the black corners from those photos. Otherwise I like the results.

We were primarily there for my niece's wedding but the location turned out to be spectacular. A Coruna in the NW corner of Galicia Spain. It is directly on the Atlantic Ocean and the oldest operating Roman lighthouse is there built in the 2nd century AD.

Lighthouses | Flickr

Near the end of the album is where my photos of the ancient lighthouse, La Torre de Hercules are located. There is a night shot of the lighthouse taken from well over a mile away at 300mm that was a 10 second exposure that I think came out well. Lights from the remote side of the port of A Coruna are visible behind the light on the lighthouse.

Aside from the wide angle limitation, the lens takes very crisp images.

11-09-2018, 02:24 PM   #83
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruzer Quote
I also discovered an issue with this lense and that is at the low end. At 18mm the corners of the photos were clipped. Don't know what the technical term is for that, but I had to crop a bunch of photos to remove the black corners from those photos.
Vignetting. My old Tamron 18-250 used to do the same thing at the wide end. It's probably one of the compromises that goes with a superzoom. If it's any consolation, LensTip says that the vignetting with the Sigma 18-300C is moderate for a superzoom: https://www.lenstip.com/427.8-Lens_review-Sigma_C_18-300_mm_f_3.5-6.3_DC_MAC...ignetting.html

You should post some of the lighthouse images here: Lighthouses - PentaxForums.com

Please excuse the digression Carol.

Last edited by Des; 11-09-2018 at 02:31 PM.
11-09-2018, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Vignetting. My old Tamron 18-250 used to do the same thing at the wide end. It's probably one of the compromises that goes with a superzoom. If it's any consolation, LensTip says that the vignetting with the Sigma 18-300C is moderate for a superzoom: Sigma C 18-300 mm f/3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM review - Vignetting - LensTip.com

You should post some of the lighthouse images here: Lighthouses - PentaxForums.com

Please excuse the digression Carol.
Des, Thanks for pointing that out. Interesting article. With limited space it seemed to be the best choice. I also have a Rokinon 14mm that I like for wide angle shots and feel I should have brought that, but it was just space. I will upload some of La Torre de Hercules (The Tower of Hercules) photos in the lighthouse forum. Thanks again.
11-09-2018, 03:14 PM - 12 Likes   #85
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'm quite partial to my "Good Lady” (Pentax-A 20mm F2.8) for this purpose, here's a few examples

11-10-2018, 09:02 AM   #86
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
It's not 'limited' to the 21; all of the Limiteds, in the green band days (SMC, NOT HD) could do awesome starbursts; here's one from the 15:

Cheers,
Cameron
Yes, I'm aware that the 15 especially has awesome starbursts; I had originally planned on it, before I decided the 21 might be better for my needs.
11-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #87
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Kerrowdown, awesome photos from the A-20 f2.8! I like the starburst from it, as well! Dang, you're throwing another one into the mix for me!
11-10-2018, 12:47 PM - 6 Likes   #88
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Kerrowdown, awesome photos from the A-20 f2.8! I like the starburst from it, as well! Dang, you're throwing another one into the mix for me!
Carol, here's a few more just to muddy the water further.

It's a cracking wee lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #89
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The last two are so beautiful; yep, you are really muddying the water!
11-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #90
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I'm quite partial to my "Good Lady” (Pentax-A 20mm F2.8) for this purpose
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
It's a cracking wee lens.
Seems the FA 20 f2.8 has the same optical formula: SMC Pentax-FA 20mm F2.8 Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Could a DFA version be the "Ultrawide single focus lens" shown on the roadmap (the blurry line is centred around 20mm)? (Ultrawide referring to FF use rather than APS-C.)