Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 47 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2018, 03:11 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, like you, I most often use a monopod, in sports or birding, because it's so quick to deploy and you can swivel so quickly to follow action, I've not had a problem with IBIS:
Well good for you.

11-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Well good for you.
You can be that way, saying it's not usable, but I and others say that it is, and can show the pictures.

Last edited by clackers; 11-09-2018 at 03:42 PM.
11-09-2018, 07:38 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You can be that way, saying it's not usable, but I and others say that it is, and can show the pictures.
I hand hold my 120-400 when shooting but at 4 pounds, it does get to be a bit of exercise to hold up when shooting birds in the woods. I can see how the OS in the viewfinder or in LV could help when the tiniest movement can take you off target at 400mm on a smaller bird.

Not all of us are youngsters like you Ian! I suspect my eldest son is a lot closer to your age than you are to mine!
11-10-2018, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I hand hold my 120-400 when shooting but at 4 pounds, it does get to be a bit of exercise to hold up when shooting birds in the woods. I can see how the OS in the viewfinder or in LV could help when the tiniest movement can take you off target at 400mm on a smaller bird.
If you're moving, maybe, Tom, but we're talking about from a monopod or tripod. BTW, I reckon you've aimed and held steady many objects from monopods, bipods, tripods, pintle mounts, whatever and your technique shooting handheld with anything would be a cut above everyone else's, just like Heie.

This thread is full of stunning pictures from the DA150-450, and they're all with IBIS, not in lens OIS, many will be handheld, and I couldn't believe Vollerp's pics on the first page:

Post your HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW pictures! - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Not all of us are youngsters like you Ian! I suspect my eldest son is a lot closer to your age than you are to mine!
Well, at fifty-two and a grandfather, I reckon I deserve an 'Old Fart Pentaxian' badge, SG!

11-13-2018, 11:26 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just want to add my two cents on the HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE which I love. It is my goto lense and I shot a lot with it on my K-3 and my K1 II (with a little cropping). I highly recommend it, particularly if you don't need a full-frame lens. I do 98% of my shooting handheld and it's done the job. I tend to shoot long and try to create images where the bokeh is as much a contributor to the photo as the in-focus subject. The DA 55-300 PLM version is terrific. I have the older non-PLM 55-300 and the PLM version is a definite improvement.

That said I'm now looking around for a comparable lens that will work with my K1 II without the vignetting that I get with the 55-300.
11-13-2018, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Violet Quote
That said I'm now looking around for a comparable lens that will work with my K1 II without the vignetting that I get with the 55-300.
There is a telephoto zoom lens on the roadmap, but don't hold your breath.
11-13-2018, 01:19 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

This is a lot of time talking about something that none of us has found to date. If there was an acceptable answer I think we'd have it. It's kind of like asking for a cheap luxury car.

11-13-2018, 01:40 PM - 5 Likes   #38
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've avoided the elephant in the room for five days now, but I can't keep it bottled up any more.

Can someone *please* edit the title of this thread to the correct spelling of "elusive"?
11-13-2018, 02:54 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I've avoided the elephant in the room for five days now, but I can't keep it bottled up any more.

Can someone *please* edit the title of this thread to the correct spelling of "elusive"?
I thought it was a play on "illusion"
11-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I thought it was a play on "illusion"
Then it should be illusory...
11-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The Elephant has left the room ... My bad!
My apologies, I usually am on top of issues like that. Thank you for bringing that into the open! :-)

Actually, it seems that I can only edit my original post title, but changing the thread title is not an option. Hmmm
11-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by R. Wethereyet Quote
Actually, it seems that I can only edit my original post title, but changing the thread title is not an option. Hmmm
Only a moderator can change the tread title after someone responds.
11-13-2018, 03:50 PM - 4 Likes   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Violet Quote
I just want to add my two cents on the HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE which I love. It is my goto lense and I shot a lot with it on my K-3 and my K1 II (with a little cropping). I highly recommend it, particularly if you don't need a full-frame lens. I do 98% of my shooting handheld and it's done the job. I tend to shoot long and try to create images where the bokeh is as much a contributor to the photo as the in-focus subject. The DA 55-300 PLM version is terrific. I have the older non-PLM 55-300 and the PLM version is a definite improvement.

I think it goes without saying that the 55-300 is the cheapest way to get above 250mm, Violet, it's been recommended many times here, with good reason. This is a (tame) emu I shot:

It's IQ at the long end drops off, and it's aperture is poor, so you have to be very careful with the bad bokeh created by nearby backgrounds (in this picture you can see it's already getting busy). But the PLM version is much faster to focus than the more expensive "better" lenses I've owned, even if the sharpness isn't up to them.

The only way I was able to afford a 300mm f2.8 was to get a decades old, manual focus Canon FD mount dinosaur, but its quality is wonderful:

Last edited by clackers; 11-13-2018 at 03:59 PM.