Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Getting into Anamorphic lenses on a budget?

I've been looking into trying an anamorphic lens for a while now but I'm unsure of what to look for if I want to do it on a budget. I see some of this stuff going for thousands of dollars but I really don't care about image quality I just want to experience what it's like to shoot with this unique lens. I'd like to spend south of 200~ dollars, the further south the better. I see some stuff like that but I don't know what would be applicable to my wants.

11-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My personal opinion:
If you don't care for IQ then you don't need an anamorphic lens or lens adapter. You will get the results by using a wider lens (2x or more the angle of view you want), and crop.
Indeed Schneider AM lenses/adapters (thought to be very sharp) are in the range of $1500 - $3500. There are also Lomo sets (not sure whether also for DSLR or video cameras only), which are cheaper. Even sets for 43 are very expensive.
And if you look for used ones, they are not so much cheaper.

As far as I know, if you use a normal AF lens with an anamorphic adapter, phase detect AF fails, and manual focusing seems to be tricky. Maybe you can find an English speaking internet forum specialized on the subject.

Last edited by RKKS08; 11-09-2018 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Typing
11-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
RKKS08's advice was good. If you find a lower cost anamorphic lens (or adapter), not only will image quality be poor but expect a lot of color fringing. Projecting those images will require the same lens adapter on the projection lens (though printing can be accommodated with software) and that means even more image degradation. All in all, anamorphic lenses aren't worth their issues unless your use is professional cinema (big $$$$ lenses). Wide angle lenses of excellent quality are available today which work very well if you want high aspect ratio photos.

Everything I've seen anamorphic is way North of $200.
11-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At the risk of sounding snarky, remind me again why anyone not shooting for wide-screen projection on a narrower frame would want an anamorphic lens?

Steve

11-09-2018, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
At the risk of sounding snarky, remind me again why anyone not shooting for wide-screen projection on a narrower frame would want an anamorphic lens?

Steve
Because I have some ideas for photographs I'd like to take. The flare and unique bokeh are important to what I have in mind.
11-09-2018, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Because I have some ideas for photographs I'd like to take. The flare and unique bokeh are important to what I have in mind.
OK...you mean as described here...

shooting with anamorphic lens dslr camera - Washington DC Wedding Photographers Sam Hurd

Fair enough, though it appears there are a lot of shysters out there including modifications of Helios 44-2 with a cateye cutout inserted to create a physical vignette to emulate the bokeh.

Steve