Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2008, 05:06 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Screw Mount Question

Last time I was at the local "Hock Shop", they had a lens there, and had it listed as a "screw mount". There was no indication if it was Pentax mount or not. I guess the question is weather or not anyone other than Pentax used screw mount, and if so, how can I identify if it is Pentax mount or not?

09-25-2008, 05:14 AM   #2
Forum Member

I'm far from an expert, and I'm sure I'll be corrected in an instant if wrong, but by far the most common screw mount thread size is M42, i.e. 42mm diameter by 1mm thread pitch. This is what you want - it's the size used by Pentax and numerous other lens and camera makers. There is an older M37 standard, but that is far less common.

If you already have a screw mount adaptor (which I'm guessing you don't if you are asking this question), you could bring that and try it on the lens. Failing that, you could see if there's an old screw mount SLR in the shop, and see if the lens fits it. Another way is to measure the thread to see if it's about 42mm in diameter.

M42 info at Wikipedia: M42 lens mount

What was the lens BTW?
09-25-2008, 05:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by the_snark Quote
I'm far from an expert, and I'm sure I'll be corrected in an instant if wrong, but by far the most common screw mount thread size is M42, i.e. 42mm diameter by 1mm thread pitch. This is what you want - it's the size used by Pentax and numerous other lens and camera makers. There is an older M37 standard, but that is far less common.

If you already have a screw mount adaptor (which I'm guessing you don't if you are asking this question), you could bring that and try it on the lens. Failing that, you could see if there's an old screw mount SLR in the shop, and see if the lens fits it. Another way is to measure the thread to see if it's about 42mm in diameter.

M42 info at Wikipedia: M42 lens mount

What was the lens BTW?
Thanks for the info. I doubt they have a camera I can check, but it's easy enough to measure the diameter of the threads. Sorry I don't remember what make the lens was, I just know it wasn't a Pentax.
09-25-2008, 05:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Snark is right. Always have an M42 with you. I carry one in my wallet so if i come across a gem anywhere, I can check the lens. There are T mount lenses that have a similar looking mount (although the rear element usually sticks out further) that is the same diameter but a different pitch and need a different adapter but will also work. There is also the M39 Lieca lenses that are close enough in size to be tough to spot.

So don't assume all are equal. Grab a cheapo Ebay M42 and keep it handy to check a flea market 'find'.

09-25-2008, 05:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Always have an M42 with you.
You mean a cheap M42 lens, or adaptor? Not sure how you would keep a lens in your wallet.
09-25-2008, 06:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Revised Yes the adapter.
09-25-2008, 06:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

"Is that a lens in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
09-25-2008, 06:46 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's worth noting there are two M39 variants. One is for Lieca and has a short flange to image plane distance. The other M39 has the same flange to image plane distance as M42 lenses -- these can be used on a pentax camera with an M39 to M42 to K adapter.

There's a few Russian lenes with M39 mounts that will work in this way. The Helios 40 85mm f/1.5 being the most notable example.

The Helios 40-2 is M42.

Lieca M39 would only work as a Maco Lens in that configuration -- with no infinity focus.