Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 92 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2018, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A one lens kit (under $400) for architectural shooting presents some challenges. I don't think there is a perfect solution, but I think you need wide angle and a zoom is the most versatile.

The Sigma 10-20 is about the only lens that fits the bill at $400 if bought new. You can possibly find the Pentax 15 for that price, or at least $450. I have not used the Sigma so I cannot vouch for it. I have a Tamron 10-24 that my son has taken to Europe 3 or 4 times, it is sharp, the width is good, it can be prone to flare, and there is lots of distortion on the wide end, but it i selling for $500 now. The Tamron can also take up a lot of space, it has 77mm filter threads and the hood is quite wide. But I think the Sigma 10-20 is even larger with 82mm filter threads and a tad heavier.

I have the Pentax HD DA 15 and it is an excellent lens, it out performs the Tamron in nearly every way, but of course, it's not as wide. The nice thing about the 15 is it's size, very similar to the size of your FA 50, in fact it also has 49mm filter threads, which could be very convenient if you were to take both of those lenses. In fact the two of them weigh about the same as the Tamron 10-24.

I can't comment on the 16-85 since I've never used one, it looks good in every respect except for price.

I've only quoted new prices that are easy to look up, the option of used lenses is always there too. If it were me, I'd prefer a zoom for one lens, or the 15 and your 50 for a two small lens kit. Good luck in whatever you decide, and have a great trip.

11-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #32
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

My single-lens choice is the 16-85, which is WR. It covers the vast number of my travel shots. For my travel, I pair it with a 55-300, which is currently the PLM WR version for me. On my KP, with its great high ISO performance, I find no other lenses are needed (wider apertures not necessary). On earlier trips, with my K-3, the 16-85, paired with the 55-300 WR (not PLM), performed equally well.

The 16-85 is my best combination of range and IQ for travel. The 20-40 limited is great, but the range is lacking too much for me as a single lens.

Last edited by TedH42; 11-10-2018 at 08:59 PM.
11-10-2018, 08:24 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
18-135.
From personal experience, I’d support this, but then I also packed a DA15/4, which is so small and light that you can easily accommodate it without jeapordising your carrying weight or bulk.
11-10-2018, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
From personal experience, I’d support this, but then I also packed a DA15/4, which is so small and light that you can easily accommodate it without jeapordising your carrying weight or bulk.
This is my General recommendation... But with special interest in architecture I can see the wider 12-24 fitting better. I have too many lenses, loads of good options come to mind.

Also 12-24 used is around this budget. As is a screw drive 16-50.

11-10-2018, 09:37 PM   #35

Original Poster
Thank you so much for these wonderful, thoughtful responses! They are giving me a lot to consider! I am certainly leaning toward something wide, maybe even ultra wide, as in other places I have traveled, like NYC, I have longed for just a little more width than I had at 18mm. I am researching all these suggestions!
11-10-2018, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The DA 18-135 and DA 15 Ltd SMC are my automatic go-to lens pair for going to places like NYC.
11-10-2018, 10:32 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The DA 18-135 and DA 15 Ltd SMC are my automatic go-to lens pair for going to places like NYC.
These two lenses combined aren't much heavier than the 16-50 or 16-85 and the 18-135 has a smaller barrel diameter. Not to mention much more telephoto coverage. The only disadvantage to the DA 15 is the way lines on the edges are distorted, I don't know of any lens better for being pointed towards the sun. Any wider than 15mm and you will find your feet and pack in the frame more often than you want, especially handheld while walking. But there is more diversity when it comes to lens recommendations than anything else I can think of, so lots of people will tell you (and me) that I'm completely wrong.

Your budget constraints are going to be a problem, if you want new. If you already have the 18-135, you can find used copies of the DA 15 for under $400.

Last edited by RGlasel; 11-10-2018 at 10:41 PM.
11-10-2018, 11:40 PM - 4 Likes   #38
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn't take one lens. The K-S2 (I took the KP) with DA15, DA21, DA40 and DA70 is unbeatable for unobtrusive compactness. It all fits in a tiny messenger or waist pack.

Ah, Rome!

DA15

DA21

FA31 (but the DA21 would have done the job too)

FA43 (but the DA40 would have sufficed)

11-10-2018, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But on a budget, the DA18-135 is hard to beat
11-11-2018, 02:07 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It depends on how you are traveling too. if you are with an organized group, sometimes you have to move along with them and time for lens-changing can be awkward or impossible. The DA 18-135mm or the DA 16-85mm would be good choices. one provides greater reach, the other more width. But for WA shots of buildings, avoid the widest settings with these zoom lenses because of excessive distortion, unless in-camera correction is available and effective. I have yet to try this. The Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 provides unusually good distortion figures for an ultra-wide angle zoom lens, especially at 15mm and above, and excellent edge-to-edge performance. A very sharp lens.

If just taking one small prime lens, the DA 21mm Limited would be best for many situations.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-11-2018 at 02:13 AM.
11-11-2018, 02:43 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Architectural, Kierra? Go for the DA12-24 and it will cover you, as well as serve as the classic 35mm photojournalist lens does on FF. Throw in your FA50 if you want to break your rule on one lens only. You already own it, no cost there, it's fast and it's little (49mm filter).

Dirty little secret: If you ever buy a K-1 the 12-24 works from about 17 or 18mm onwards. Only f4, but look at what the DFA 15-30 costs and weighs!
11-11-2018, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by KierraElizabeth Quote
...If you could take *just one* lens on this kind of adventure, what would you take?.
Much depends on who you are as a shooter of course...
From my own gear I'd pick out the Pentax 18-135mm. It's a lot of flexibility in a WR lens. Yes, sometimes I wish I could go a bit wider, but if I'm only taking one and I can't guarantee conditions, that would be the choice. If I didn't own it (or your Sigma 18-135 isn't WR), the newer choice would be the DA 16-85mm, also a WR lens. You might not really need the 135mm reach for general landscape/architecture, but what about wildlife in the landscape, or the occasional candid street shot where you see something down the block? Would missing those shots be acceptable? If so, or you just don't find yourself ever using the telephoto range, then a 12-24mm might make more sense.
If I can take two lenses, then the one in my coat pocket is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art. Not WR, but it comes out at museums and other indoor, low-light situations where f/3.5 won't quite cut it, and I'm not as concerned about conditions. Sometimes with hand-held indoor/evening shots, just being able to trade everything for more light can be important to me.
None of these are exactly tiny lenses of course. If small//light is super-important (Like you're doing this trip out of a carry-on and really want a purse-able choice), I might think seriously about a MILC.
Have a great trip,
traveler
(handle on DPReview is bob5050)
11-11-2018, 07:22 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the ks2 is going in for repair, are you confident it will be back in time?

On your budget the choices seem to be:

Used
DA* 16-50 f2.8 (WR/AW)
Sigma 17-50 f2.8 or 17-70 f2.8-4
DA 15 f4 + existing Sigma 18-135
DA 12-24 f4
DA 18-135 f3.5-5.6 (WR)
DA 16-85 f3.5-5.6 (WR)
DA 17-70 f4
Tamron 10-24
Sigma 10-20 / either version
DA 21 f3.2 ltd
DA 20-40 f2.8-4 Ltd (WR)

Many of these would pair nicely with the FA 50 f1.4 you already own. I realize the goal is one lens.

There are some fixed lens cameras you might consider as well: Panasonic LX100, LX10, Sony RX100, Ricoh GR...

You might also find a deal on older mirrorless gear, this option or the above fixed lens cameras would be useful if the ks2 is delayed in repair.

Can you narrow the field a bit? Is size or weight or weather resistance important?
11-11-2018, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KierraElizabeth Quote
I have a trip coming up in April. We are traveling to Paris for a few days, India for two weeks, and Rome for a few days. Packing light is essential. And during the days I will have a small pack, but can't carry much. If you could take *just one* lens on this kind of adventure, what would you take? I'm thinking two would be a stretch, and both would need to be fairly compact if I took more than one. Thoughts?

ETA: I have a K-S2 (about to be sent in for aperture block failure) and most of the photography will likely be architectural, as that is the focus of most of our tour, so something with some sharpness and width is what I am leaning toward.
Threads like this are always interesting, it gets everyone thinking about what they would do in this situation, and ultimately give you a lot of leads to research and things to think about. There are many suggestions here and none are wrong, you just have to decide what is best for you with all of the information you can get. Luckily this forum is a great place for people trying to help each other. Don't forget to check on the typical weather for the destinations during the time you are visiting. You probably don't have space for a tripod, but think about a beanbag or other small stabilizing device for low light shooting. Smartly you are starting this planning well in advance, you'll have time to get the gear and get used to it. I would also say on a trip like this you might regret not getting what you really want in terms of gear, so don't let the budget make you compromise too much.
11-11-2018, 08:39 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Threads like this are always interesting, it gets everyone thinking about what they would do in this situation, and ultimately give you a lot of leads to research and things to think about. There are many suggestions here and none are wrong, you just have to decide what is best for you with all of the information you can get. Luckily this forum is a great place for people trying to help each other. Don't forget to check on the typical weather for the destinations during the time you are visiting. You probably don't have space for a tripod, but think about a beanbag or other small stabilizing device for low light shooting. Smartly you are starting this planning well in advance, you'll have time to get the gear and get used to it. I would also say on a trip like this you might regret not getting what you really want in terms of gear, so don't let the budget make you compromise too much.

Most museums will not allow tripods but monopods can fly under the radar and can serve as a nice walking stick. Not a bad idea to look into one for travel in cities with a focus on architecture.