Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2018, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I somehow missed the Q was going. Do you know that the 06 Telephoto is quite cheap these days? Bringing that might solve some range issues with using a more limited range like 12-24. The 12-24 also doesn't overlap a lot with what you already have.I do still think the 50 or even a DS 40xs pairs wellwith the zoom.

11-11-2018, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Include a quality '+2 close-up' filter and/or a 1.4x TC the and you've effectively added useful close-focus and tele lens capability in a pocket-sized kit. Think of them as a way to add flexibility to the shooting position or point-of-view of your mounted lens rather than as the dedicated macro or telephoto lenses you wouldn't be carrying.
11-12-2018, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #63

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Find a used DA 12-24. One lens & body is perfect for a day out in Paris. Easy to carry on Metro. Plan B would be a DA 17-70 available used inexpensively and a very versatile lens.

Gorgeous work! Thank you for sharing! As I research more lenses, I think this is the direction I am starting to lean, and your photos help that...
11-12-2018, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KierraElizabeth Quote
Gorgeous work! Thank you for sharing! As I research more lenses, I think this is the direction I am starting to lean, and your photos help that...
What I like most about that lens if you can fit it in - is how well it fits with the lenses you already own.

Does your backpack have a camera insert or a way to isolate the camera and protect it?

11-12-2018, 05:51 PM - 2 Likes   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
DA15ltd and a DA35/2.4, learn how to pano stitch and its a big bonus if you can make/buy yourself a small base plate that offsets to the optical center of the DA15ltd so that pano stitching becomes easy for shots that have foreground.

You can of course just use the DA15ltd and not use anything else

Stitched

Stitched (handheld)

Single shot

People shots

11-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Find a used DA 12-24. One lens & body is perfect for a day out in Paris. Easy to carry on Metro. Plan B would be a DA 17-70 available used inexpensively and a very versatile lens.

Really Nice pictures! Did you shoot these with the DA 12-24? I am on the lookout for a good used one since the cost for a new copy is out of my budget. It will be interesting to see if the cost will drop when the new DA* 11-18 is released.
11-12-2018, 08:32 PM - 2 Likes   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I dislike the 'one lens' recommendations as there are so many variables - is it for lightweight & compact carrying (where two small primes might be an option) or one lens for convenience? If compact carrying was preferred I'd probably just take my GR and MX-1, the GR is the equivalent of a DSLR & wide-angle prime combination but in a much smaller/lighter package and would go anyway irrespective of anything else.

For a DSLR, I prefer a wide zoom and small primes, for FF this might be FA20-35, FA43 & M135/3.5 - the 12-24 (I haven't used one) & FA50 might be a good combination. In my case I'd take my DA17-70 as I have it and it's my 'just about' lens (just about wide enough, just about long enough, just about fast enough, just about small enough...) an FA50/1.4 and possibly an M135/3.5 if it would fit (the latter is small, has a built in hood and can be carried in a pocket).

Security can be an issue in big 'touristy' type cities - I've seen countless items (cameras, phones, bags etc.) swiped off cafe tables by fast passing crooks in broad daylight. Carrying wise, I prefer a shoulder strap hanging on the shoulder, camera sitting on my hip while holding the strap or camera (rather than round my neck bouncing around on my stomach - which screams 'tourist'). Old fashioned 'thin' straps or plain black ones are more discreet than branded ones and I use a canvas shoulder bag instead of a holster or obviously branded camera bag.

11-12-2018, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pacsafe makes a number of good things for tourists. This strap is something I haven't tried but I have used a wrist strap of theirs.

Pacsafe Carrysafe 200 Anti-Theft Shoulder Strap (Black) 10100100

---------- Post added 11-12-18 at 11:12 PM ----------

an insert like this may help:
Ape Case Cubeze QB35 DSLR/Lens/Flash (Tall, Yellow) ACQB35 B&H

Or this - two for 1 - use the smaller one for the Q and all the gear needed for it. Or whatever works:
Ape Case Cubeze QB41 Flexible Storage Cube (Yellow) ACQB41 B&H
11-12-2018, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
a DA35/2.4
These are remarkably good lenses. Plastic and light but the optics are pretty darn good.
11-13-2018, 12:16 AM - 2 Likes   #70
Pentaxian

I did a three month trip around SE Asia with only a 16-85 for my K5ii and never felt the need for anything longer or wider.(I took a Sony RX100 as backup,but only used it very occasionally)
Highlights here if you're interested

My favourites from Asia Trip | Flickr
11-13-2018, 01:25 AM   #71
Pentaxian

My "just one lens" lens is usually the DA 35mm macro because it's so small and image quality is amazing, but I wouldn't go on such a trip without a WR lens so I'd have to say the DA 35mm plus the DA 16-85mm.

I can't remember if the K-S2 is WR or not. If not then I suppose having a WR lens makes little difference.
11-13-2018, 01:56 AM   #72
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I did a three month trip around SE Asia with only a 16-85 for my K5ii and never felt the need for anything longer or wider.(I took a Sony RX100 as backup,but only used it very occasionally)Highlights here if you're interested
Fine set Tim. The composition and colours are really striking. Makes a good case for this lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I can't remember if the K-S2 is WR or not.
It is.
11-13-2018, 02:26 AM - 2 Likes   #73
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I can't remember if the K-S2 is WR or not. If not then I suppose having a WR lens makes little difference.
It *most certainly* is

11-13-2018, 02:31 AM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Fine set Tim. The composition and colours are really striking. Makes a good case for this lens.
Thank you Des.
11-13-2018, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #75
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Ah, Rome!
Navona pic does it for me...nice.

I would take 10-20 Sigma and 85 mm Takumar and force myself to make it work.