Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2018, 03:29 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Kinda depends on what subject matter you like to shoot?

I shot 90% of this video with the da 35mm f2.4 for example.

16-85 seems the answer for a lot of questions, just it’s not we or particularly fast is all, so not as ideal for low light, or narrow depth of field.

Enjoy your trip 🙂

11-10-2018, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

16-85 is what I'd personally take. I don't think I've seen a picture from that lens I didn't like.
11-10-2018, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think back to many trips touring and the thousands of photos I took with my M28/2.8, far more than with my 50 or 75-150 I also travled with, so I would say go for the wide side. I think 90% or more of the shots were with the 28 and zooming with my feet. So, if you can get a good copy of the DA* 16-50, that is a very nice lens and plays perfectly to add the 50-135 and/or 60-250 later to have a really sweet range of DA* lenses for your crop body. But it did take three tries (thanks to B&H for great customer service) with my 16-50 to get one that was not decentered, and that made all the difference for performance. As an alternative, I'd go with the already suggested 16-85. I have shot quite a bit with one of those as well, and it is very sharp and is pretty quick on the focus. The only thing you don't get is the constant aperture, but the extended zoom range isn't a bad trade off given how well you can do with high ISO and a little post processing noise reduction if still needed.
11-10-2018, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Why not consider the Pentax 12-24mm used fits nicely into your budget and is wide enough for most architecture. I have and like the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5, which is also in your price range and goes wider but not as long. I would pick your wideangle zoom based on the lowest distortion, unless you love to process and correct it. Prime or zoom of 50mm plus would make a nice and small addition. Might be a good time to take the relatively light and small 100mm macro with for close-ups, portraits, and architectural details. Use it before you sell it, in addition or in place of a 50mm...

Last edited by mtgmansf; 11-10-2018 at 04:03 PM.
11-10-2018, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #20

Normally, for all-purpose travel I would suggest a zoom in the range of 18-55mm. But for architecture in old-world cities, that's not quite wide enough; you need at least a 16mm wide angle.

For a trip like that, I would be happy with the 15mm DA, but not as my only lens. I would also want least one more prime, something between 27 and 35mm. And possibly a longer one as well (50-75mm). But personally, I don't like swaping out primes when traveling in foreign lands - too much time spent digging around in the camera bag when I should be enjoying the sights. Switching from a 3-prime kit to a zoom for travel was one of the best photographic decisions I ever made!

I might be tempted by the Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 - great range, good image quality. BUT, for me, that lens is just too big and heavy for lightweight travel. The 16-45mm f4 is marginally smaller and lighter, but on your K-S2, that's still going to be a load on your neck strap and a bulge in your pack.

When I was considering what kit to take on a month-long walking tour of France, I knew my K-3 and three-prime kit was way too much gear for that trip. After looking at all the possibilities, I decided there was no combination of Pentax camera and lens(es) as small, light, and inconspicuous as I was hoping for - which is why I bought another brand.

But if you are commited to the K-S2, and keeping it light, I would suggest 2 primes: the HD Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited, and one of the 35mm lenses - either the excellent HD Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro - or the much cheaper, lighter, but still very good SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL.

On the other hand, there are quite a few people who seem to be very happy to travel with lenses no longer than 23-25mm, so if you are in that camp, you might consider the HD Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited in place of the 35mm focal length. Or a zoom that covers the 15-24mm range.

Above all, enjoy your trip! There is more to travel than photography!

Last edited by runswithsizzers; 11-10-2018 at 04:22 PM.
11-10-2018, 04:19 PM - 3 Likes   #21
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 17-70 f/4. One of the most undertated lenses. An inexpensive good performer with a good range.
11-10-2018, 04:47 PM   #22
Pentaxian

For much smaller and lighter but with good image quality and some focal length versatility, you might consider one of the larger-sensor compact cameras, such as the Lumix LX100 and Sony RX100.

Philip

11-10-2018, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You might find the Ricoh GRII being discounted now that a new model is on its way. If you want wide, sharp and small you can't do better.
On our recent big trip I left the K5 at home in favour of the GR. These sorts of holidays are rare for us so I did spend time thinking about what to carry and the quality of photos I wanted to capture. Family travel enforces weight limits. I also brought a Lumix M43 with a kit lens. But I also ended up taking quite a few photos with an iPhone. In good light phone cameras can be surprisingly good.

GR

GR: I'm really looking forward to the stabilised new model.

iPhone 6s

11-10-2018, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having between in Paris with my LX7 (24-90 FF equivalent / 16-60 crop lens) I used the whole range, but more often at the wide end for architecture and longer for portraits.

So I am inclined to say the DA* 16-50 with screw drive conversion. But my heart says if I had more time I might have taken the 12-24 with an FA 50 1.4. My trip involved a pair of teenagers an elderly person and a mentally disabled person so it was a trip where lighter gear was required and where fast shooting without a lot of time per location was the norm.

---------- Post added 11-10-18 at 07:44 PM ----------

The Pentax 17-70 is superb also.
11-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KierraElizabeth Quote
If you could take *just one* lens on this kind of adventure, what would you take?
Since you mentioned architectural photography, a wide lens is a must so for my money and one lens, I would take the 16-85. For APSc body you can't beat the KP. It is the star of the APSc bodies in my opinion. I have tried both but do not own either as I own the K1 and a bunch of FF lenses. I rally like the low light capability and the compact body of the KP. It is a pro class body with image quality second to non. I own a K5iis and have owned the K3 in the past. If I had to get an APSc body, it would be a KP hands down.
11-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
The Sigma 16-50 2.8. I had the Pentax 16-50 and the Sigma out performs, at least for my lenses. The Sigma is sharp throughout its range. and that wide aperture will come in handy for low light shots. It's on sale and can still be had for less than $400. the Pentax is much more expensive but it is a water resistant lens while the Sigma is not.

A lighter lens that is also very good is the Pentax 20-40 limited and it's a wr lens. I have traveled to Italy with this and was very happy with the results, but I would take a small prime, such as the 15mm along with it and I'd be tempted to also take the light weight plastic fantastic 50 for something a bit longer.
I completely forgot about the 20-40, and I even have one. But the 28-105 is the default lens on my KP. The 20-40 would be a good choice as a second lens with the 28-105 and repaired KS-2 or KP.
11-10-2018, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

In many smaller locations in Italy you can not back up far enough for lenses above 24mm to capture the image properly in my experience. Stitching photos together is nice but when you HAVE to get the shot because it might be days-weeks before you can process images you need a wider lens. On trips to museums and old architecture focused events I have NEVER said - I wish I had a longer lens, however I have kicked myself for not having a wider lens. I recommend the DA12-24 for that reason. If you want a longer lens too than your 50/1.4 would be great because its a medium long portrait lens on APS-C format.

As the review of the wide zooms here says "the Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 is the ideal choice. The lens is sharp and fast, which makes it great for interior views. The negatives that the lens brings to the party, such as barrel distortion, and chromatic aberration, can be corrected if necessary with software." And finally, used it fits your budget (make sure you get the hood!).
11-10-2018, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

For architecture with KS2 or any other APS-C camera:

DA 15 Limited. Unbeatable color, contrast, and flare resistance. Stop down and it's sharp enough across the entire frame. A very small lens, too.

Samyang/Rokinon 14. Sharper than the 15, but worse color, contrast, and flare.

DA* 16-50. Almost as wide as the 15 with some reach to capture architectural details. It's the only weather resistant lens on this list, so I think this would be my first choice if only taking one lens on a long trip.

Tamron 10-24 or Sigma 10-20: Ultrawide zooms. Great for large buildings in crowded cities when you don't have space to back up.

DFA 28-105. Excellent image quality but not wide enough for architecture especially on APS-C cameras.
11-10-2018, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

If you want to take your K-S2, for a light and compact setup put a used DA 21 Ltd on it - you might not want to take it off again - but take your FA 50 along just in case you might want something longer.

Philip
11-10-2018, 07:32 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
18-135.