Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 92 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2018, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Ultra wide, well my favorite ultra wide for an ASP-C format camera is my Pentax 12-24. I've been able to get most everything in at the wide end of that lens. I really like the results. But you would have to look for a used example for under $ 400 I think. One disadvantage of the 12-24....if you want to take a portrait of someone ...you're a bit limited with the focal lengths from 12-24.

Sounds like a great trip.

11-11-2018, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

If I were going on a trip like this I would bring the following with me:
Option one: two zoom kit, DA 16-85 and DA 55-300 PLM especially if I plan to shoot birds and wildlife.
Option two: the DA 16-85 and the DA 15 Limited.
Option three, absolute lightweight: DA 15 Limited and/or DA 21 Limited and DA 40 Limited.
I have all of the above lenses and my most used by far is the DA 16-85 which could suffice all by itself if you do not need telephoto. Still I like to have something really light and compact like the DA 21 or 40 limiteds if I really need minimum size. I use a K-3.
11-11-2018, 01:25 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Another angle I'd throw out there is, is this a specific photo holiday, or a family holiday where you want some photos, or a mix where you'll get time to sneak out early in the morning and take some photos?

The answers really drive what course of action your should take, ranging from: Quality cellphone for most snaps, through to travel zoom lens, through to quality primes, filters and tripods etc.
  • Changing lenses when you're somewhat rushed is a pain, especially if you're chopping backwards and forwards often.
  • Fast primes are good for low light situations, and for blurred backgrounds.
  • Tripods are only needed for show shutter speeds, so ideal for ND filters and wispy clouds and crowds, but bulky.
  • Cellphones are light and fast to startup, and great if the final use of the image is screen based facebook or whatsapp update.
    They take solid photos and video in ideal lighting conditions, but quality does drop off quickly outside of the ideal, and the images can't be pushed in post much.

Don't forget that balance between experiencing vs capturing. If it's a family holiday it is especially important to participate and be in the moment.
11-11-2018, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I forgot the 16-45 f4. There's one in the marketplace now.

11-11-2018, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I forgot the 16-45 f4. There's one in the marketplace now.
I was thinking of that as a very light and quite sharp zoom. My really light two-zoom travel kit is the 16-45 f4 and the 50-200 DAL. That pair would deal with most outdoor shots, and are quite cheap. The 50-200 is similar weight to most short teles, but for simplicity you could possibly find an A-Series 100mm f2.8.

I would take the FA 50mm that you already have or something similar (small, very light and large aperture) for indoor shots in low light, and as a portrait lens. An A-series or M-series 28mm would probably work better for interiors of cathedrals etc. Either of these will fit easily in your pocket.

I have all of these and I would seriously consider the four to be a light and convenient travel kit that will fit into a small bag I can carry around all day every day.

I agree that the 16-85mm would be the ideal single-lens traveller system, but its heavier to hold and feels cumbersome if you are walking all day with a camera and mounted lens around your neck for hours at a time. The 16-45mm makes it easier to walk around with a camera hanging off your neck.

Of course, if you take a minimalist one-lens kit but feel during your holiday that you are missing a focal length that is really important, you can probably buy a second-hand old lens quite cheaply at a local camera or second-hand store, or an find a nearby online offer.
11-11-2018, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
heavier to hold and feels cumbersome if you are walking all day with a camera and mounted lens around your neck for hours at a time.
I've opted to use a wrist grip the last few trips, as I can't stand the camera on my chest/pulling on my neck feeling whilst walking all day.

I'd previously replaced my neck straps with wider neoprene ones (very cheap from aliexpress) and went with a neoprene wrist strap too.
Still have to lug a dslr around, but I personally find it easier on the wrist than on the neck.
Neoprene (wetsuit type material) absorbs some of the shock whilst walking so I highly recommend that type.
11-11-2018, 04:59 PM - 2 Likes   #52
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I had DA15 with me the last time in Rome and it isn't wide enough to capture the interior in most places. I might go back there next year, and I will have the DA10-17 + DA*55 with me.

11-11-2018, 05:11 PM - 2 Likes   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would think the DA 12-24mm plus the FA 50mm f/1.4 should take care of most needs. The one just mentioned, the DA 16-45mm f/4 is indeed a very good lens and has good edge-to-edge sharpness too. But as far as its 16mm side, there still would be quite a bit of distortion there for architectural subject matter. Might need to real it back to at least 18 or 20mm. It is not as high as most such lenses, but still quite visible at 2.5%. The DA 12-24mm would provide the edge-to-edge quality, plus low distortion. Its distortion at 12mm is actually lower (2.1%) than the fairly decent figure of the DA 16-45mm lens is at 16mm! And it drops rapidly as the lens is zoomed. Rather amazing for an ultra-wide zoom lens.

I like it better than the 10-20mm models for another reason, that it can go from a still very wide 12mm to 24mm, which at that FL is very useful for all-around photography. At this, its longest FL, it is very good, but better if not wide open, which is true for most zoom lenses.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-11-2018 at 05:41 PM.
11-11-2018, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #54
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With the emphasis on architecture, DA 12-24 would be the main lens I'd take. The DA 15 is an alternative, but there would be plenty of situations where 15 would not be wide enough. As others have said, pair the UWA with one or two fastish lightweight compact primes (e.g. DA 35, DA 40, FA 43, DA 50, DA 70) and you are done (assuming you don't need telephoto).

Worth having software that can correct perspectives too. And maybe a really compact tripod, like the Joby Gorillapod?
11-11-2018, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
I've opted to use a wrist grip the last few trips, as I can't stand the camera on my chest/pulling on my neck feeling whilst walking all day.

I'd previously replaced my neck straps with wider neoprene ones (very cheap from aliexpress) and went with a neoprene wrist strap too.
Still have to lug a dslr around, but I personally find it easier on the wrist than on the neck.
Neoprene (wetsuit type material) absorbs some of the shock whilst walking so I highly recommend that type.
I must admit, Rich, I don't see the point of walking around for hours holding a camera off a wrist or neck strap. Seems an ergonomic nightmare.

A backpack or shoulder strap, for mine.
11-11-2018, 08:54 PM   #56

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If the ks2 is going in for repair, are you confident it will be back in time?

On your budget the choices seem to be:

Used
DA* 16-50 f2.8 (WR/AW)
Sigma 17-50 f2.8 or 17-70 f2.8-4
DA 15 f4 + existing Sigma 18-135
DA 12-24 f4
DA 18-135 f3.5-5.6 (WR)
DA 16-85 f3.5-5.6 (WR)
DA 17-70 f4
Tamron 10-24
Sigma 10-20 / either version
DA 21 f3.2 ltd
DA 20-40 f2.8-4 Ltd (WR)

Many of these would pair nicely with the FA 50 f1.4 you already own. I realize the goal is one lens.

There are some fixed lens cameras you might consider as well: Panasonic LX100, LX10, Sony RX100, Ricoh GR...

You might also find a deal on older mirrorless gear, this option or the above fixed lens cameras would be useful if the ks2 is delayed in repair.

Can you narrow the field a bit? Is size or weight or weather resistance important?
This is a great breakdown! Thank you!

We are still 5 months out, so I should have plenty of time to get the K-S2 back. We aren't too concerned about weather. We anticipate spring rains may be likely in Paris, but much of our time there will be in museums and a trip to Chartres to see the cathedral there. So I'm not too concerned with WR, but it is a nice consideration. But we will mostly be in cities, not out in the wild.

The weather in India should be primarily dry, though humid. We'll be in Dehli, Agra, Amritsar, Bohd Gaya, and Varanasi. Possibly Nepal.

We have definitely played with the idea of a fixed lens camera, and may go that route, but it's hard for me to give up the idea of shooting manually with a camera that is like second nature in my hands. I know many of them have manual capability, but that familiarity is hard to give up. Mostly, I'd like to pack light because we will be doing a lot of interior travel in India. We have the benefit of a private tour guide--a friend who has lived in all three countries--but we won't be in any city for too long. We'll be allowed a single carry-on and a back pack for a 3 week trip. When it comes to weight in my daily pack, most of it has to do with my being a bit of a wimp, so lighter is better.

---------- Post added 11-11-2018 at 09:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Most museums will not allow tripods but monopods can fly under the radar and can serve as a nice walking stick. Not a bad idea to look into one for travel in cities with a focus on architecture.
Yes, a monopod is definitely on my list! Any favorites to suggest?

---------- Post added 11-11-2018 at 09:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
If I were going on a trip like this I would bring the following with me:
Option one: two zoom kit, DA 16-85 and DA 55-300 PLM especially if I plan to shoot birds and wildlife.
Option two: the DA 16-85 and the DA 15 Limited.
Option three, absolute lightweight: DA 15 Limited and/or DA 21 Limited and DA 40 Limited.
I have all of the above lenses and my most used by far is the DA 16-85 which could suffice all by itself if you do not need telephoto. Still I like to have something really light and compact like the DA 21 or 40 limiteds if I really need minimum size. I use a K-3.
I'm a crap wildlife photographer! So I'm not even worried about a long zoom.

---------- Post added 11-11-2018 at 09:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Another angle I'd throw out there is, is this a specific photo holiday, or a family holiday where you want some photos, or a mix where you'll get time to sneak out early in the morning and take some photos?

The answers really drive what course of action your should take, ranging from: Quality cellphone for most snaps, through to travel zoom lens, through to quality primes, filters and tripods etc.
  • Changing lenses when you're somewhat rushed is a pain, especially if you're chopping backwards and forwards often.
  • Fast primes are good for low light situations, and for blurred backgrounds.
  • Tripods are only needed for show shutter speeds, so ideal for ND filters and wispy clouds and crowds, but bulky.
  • Cellphones are light and fast to startup, and great if the final use of the image is screen based facebook or whatsapp update.
    They take solid photos and video in ideal lighting conditions, but quality does drop off quickly outside of the ideal, and the images can't be pushed in post much.

Don't forget that balance between experiencing vs capturing. If it's a family holiday it is especially important to participate and be in the moment.
Thank you for this! It will be my husband and I traveling with another couple--friends of ours. The husband lived in India and Paris, and visited Rome extensively while on a Fulbright grant for one of his PhDs. I'm traveling to take pictures, my husband is traveling to "eat all the food," the friend's wife is along to see the art and the culture her husband loves, and the friend is our personal tour guide in exchange for my husband's remodel of his bathrooms in his home (my husband is a contractor and concocted this whole adventure). I'm sure there will be place for photography, and for the "touristy" photos as well. I imagine I'll get to make good use of the dSLR, as well as the selfie stick and cell phone!
11-11-2018, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KierraElizabeth Quote
Yes, a monopod is definitely on my list! Any favorites to suggest?
Mine is over 4 years old and is a Giottos MM9780 that I like a lot, but I am 6'3" tall and needed a monopod longer than most. Its a bit heavy but does an excellent job on my 70-200/2.8.
11-11-2018, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I must admit, Rich, I don't see the point of walking around for hours holding a camera off a wrist or neck strap. Seems an ergonomic nightmare.

A backpack or shoulder strap, for mine.

Fully agree. If I do the long strap thing it was always over the shoulder.
Backpacks are always there if you're going a long time without shooting anything.

The wrist approach I just preferred over the neck approach, but I'm not saying either are super comfy. The wrist also meant I could react very quickly, which is cool if you're doing a street photography type of thing.
The DSLR consumes little power whilst on standby, so it all worked really well.
11-11-2018, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a great breakdown! Thank you!
You are welcome, the 16-45 was not on my original list but should be.

So I'm not too concerned with WR, but it is a nice consideration. But we will mostly be in cities, not out in the wild.
That makes sense, weather resistance offers peace of mind but isn't perfect anyway. Carry rain protection for the camera.

We have definitely played with the idea of a fixed lens camera, and may go that route, but it's hard for me to give up the idea of shooting manually with a camera that is like second nature in my hands. I know many of them have manual capability, but that familiarity is hard to give up.
Thats very sensible. I got my LX7 many months before my trip and used it extensively to get ready. It was still an occasional struggle to remember how some little feature worked.

Mostly, I'd like to pack light because we will be doing a lot of interior travel in India... We'll be allowed a single carry-on and a back pack for a 3 week trip. When it comes to weight in my daily pack, most of it has to do with my being a bit of a wimp, so lighter is better.
With weight and size being important you need to realistically look at the sizes and weights. Use tbis site and try various lenses out for size here: Compact Camera Meter if something isn't listed look in the lens database here and pick something similar in size. Remember you can load the same body side by side so you can compare lenses.

If ultra compact and light is the goal the SMC DAL (or HD DA) 18-50 RE retractable lens might be a candidate. Although the lens seems fragile for this kind of trip.

The 12-24 while not heavy or large does have a fairly awkward hood that is wide yet shallow and seems fragile. But there is nothing else this wide I can recommend - besides the DA 15 which isn't nearly as wide as 12mm. If you have any other camera you can work with you could try some stitched wide angles and see if you could get by with less emphasis on the wide end. A simple 18-55WR would cover a lot of need and be quite small. The 18-50 collapsible is even smaller and lighter.

Other options like the DA 20-40 LIMITED would be light and small as well, but with the more limited range trading against the faster aperture. The ultimate tiny kit would be a DA 40 xs as your only lens, but that's not very useful in the context of what you asked for.
11-11-2018, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just went to Spain with the same limitations...

I took my KS-2 and Sigma 18-300. It covered all my needs from wide angle (sort of, would like to have had a 10 or 12mm for architecture in the city) to telephoto. I had an opportunity for a night shot of the oldest operating lighthouse in the world from a little over a mile away so the 300mm came in handy.

Images from this lens are very sharp and I am pleased except for the vignetting at 18mm. Just be prepared to crop at the 18mm end of the lens. I did have my Pentax 35mm f2.4 but never used it. I also brought a lightweight compact tripod.

Good luck and have a blast!