Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2018, 10:56 AM - 2 Likes   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 21

QuoteOriginally posted by KierraElizabeth Quote
I have a trip coming up in April. We are traveling to Paris for a few days, India for two weeks, and Rome for a few days. Packing light is essential. And during the days I will have a small pack, but can't carry much. If you could take *just one* lens on this kind of adventure, what would you take? I'm thinking two would be a stretch, and both would need to be fairly compact if I took more than one. Thoughts?

ETA: I have a K-S2 (about to be sent in for aperture block failure) and most of the photography will likely be architectural, as that is the focus of most of our tour, so something with some sharpness and width is what I am leaning toward.
I've done several trips to Europe with the 16-85, and yes I've got some god shots, but NONE as good as my last trip with the limiteds. The 21 is SO versatile, focussing down to less than 6", and the IQ is way beyond what the zoom can tough. Also, the 16-85 is SO big and heavy AND intimidating, it can't compete with the 21. You'll look like an old guy with a film camera - no one will bug you.

See my threads here:

Pentax DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited samples - Page 17 - PentaxForums.com

The lens that suprised you the most. - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com

Just one? The 21. I shot for almost three weeks solid with that lens and RARELY took it off. Take the 21 and a 70 and you're really set. If you have room for the 40 and the 15, perfect! You're totally covered. If you really shoot a lot of long shots (I don't) maybe get the 50-300 PLM folding zoom.

Cheers,
Cameron

11-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yep K-S1 wasn't, K-S2 is.
11-13-2018, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #78

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
DA15ltd and a DA35/2.4, learn how to pano stitch and its a big bonus if you can make/buy yourself a small base plate that offsets to the optical center of the DA15ltd so that pano stitching becomes easy for shots that have foreground.

You can of course just use the DA15ltd and not use anything else
Beautiful work! I learned to stitch panos, long ago in college, but I'm a lazy photographer and it's been a long time. Back then, I used a base plate. I'm sure there is software that makes it a snap now. Maybe I need to start playing now before we go!

---------- Post added 11-13-2018 at 06:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What I like most about that lens if you can fit it in - is how well it fits with the lenses you already own.

Does your backpack have a camera insert or a way to isolate the camera and protect it?
I agree! I have a LowePro backpack, but it's pretty bulky and not really useful for carrying all the other things I'd like to have along. I'm a pretty mean seamstress and may use some foam to create an insert. I've done that in the past and liked the outcome. But I would also love some suggestions, if you happen to have any! Oops! I see now you dropped some further down. I like those inserts!

---------- Post added 11-13-2018 at 06:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I did a three month trip around SE Asia with only a 16-85 for my K5ii and never felt the need for anything longer or wider.(I took a Sony RX100 as backup,but only used it very occasionally)
Highlights here if you're interested

My favourites from Asia Trip | Flickr
Beautiful work, Tim! It makes me even more excited to experience new sights and cultures! (This is my first time out of the country!) I can't wait!

---------- Post added 11-13-2018 at 06:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
I've done several trips to Europe with the 16-85, and yes I've got some god shots, but NONE as good as my last trip with the limiteds. The 21 is SO versatile, focussing down to less than 6", and the IQ is way beyond what the zoom can tough. Also, the 16-85 is SO big and heavy AND intimidating, it can't compete with the 21. You'll look like an old guy with a film camera - no one will bug you.

See my threads here:

Pentax DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited samples - Page 17 - PentaxForums.com

The lens that suprised you the most. - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com

Just one? The 21. I shot for almost three weeks solid with that lens and RARELY took it off. Take the 21 and a 70 and you're really set. If you have room for the 40 and the 15, perfect! You're totally covered. If you really shoot a lot of long shots (I don't) maybe get the 50-300 PLM folding zoom.

Cheers,
Cameron
Such gorgeous colors rendered from that trip! All my lenses but my 100mm give me such a terrible time with reds and bright pinks.

---------- Post added 11-13-2018 at 06:30 PM ----------

Well, I happened to be browsing eBay and made an offer on a Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 that was, shockingly, accepted. I got a steal! So I will play around with it and see how I feel about it before deciding to keep it, and whether an UW is the right direction for this trip. And at the price I paid, I may still be able to swing something else, if needed.

Last edited by KierraElizabeth; 11-13-2018 at 06:25 PM.
11-13-2018, 09:47 PM - 2 Likes   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you like the 10-20 but find it too big, remember that there is an f4-5.6 version that is smaller. Also the lens you bought by field of view is considered closer to 12-23mm so it isn't too far from the Pentax in terms of angles covered. Given that if you don't like it - I don't think the 12-24 is going to work either. If that was to happen I would consider the DA 16-45 next.

If you like the 10-20 - I do think you will want some type of prime or another zoom to go with it. I suggest you FA 50 1.4 as I did with the Pentax since it is fast for low light needs and a good portrait lens wide open or a short telephoto lens for details particularly if you stop down. The DA 40xs is another choice just to have a very unobtrusive lens.

11-14-2018, 12:21 AM   #80
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you like the 10-20 - I do think you will want some type of prime or another zoom to go with it. I suggest you FA 50 1.4 as I did with the Pentax since it is fast for low light needs and a good portrait lens wide open or a short telephoto lens for details particularly if you stop down. The DA 40xs is another choice just to have a very unobtrusive lens.
Or the "plastic fantastic" DA 50mm f1.8. Cheap, lightweight and very good.
11-14-2018, 06:33 AM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Or the "plastic fantastic" DA 50mm f1.8. Cheap, lightweight and very good.
I don't think I personally would recommend buying the DA 50 1.8 to someone who owns the FA 50 1.4. I'd be curious why you might.
11-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #82
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think I personally would recommend buying the DA 50 1.8 to someone who owns the FA 50 1.4. I'd be curious why you might.
Because I stupidly forgot to go back to the post where the OP listed the lenses she has.

11-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Because I stupidly forgot to go back to the post where the OP listed the lenses she has.
(( FACEPALM )) LOL I completely understand.
11-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to be late

but I was on a two week trip India when I first read this post. Poor internet connections and a lack of time prevented an earlier reply.
I took my trusty yellow K-01 with the 15 ltd which worked very well in most cases in town. Clearly it wasn't much good for wildlife but that was only to be expected.
Just a couple of comments about India, it was very dusty - so much so that i would not have wanted to change lenses at all.
As it was I had to clean the outside of the camera most days.
And just at the moment atmospheric pollution is very bad particularly in Delhi, not so bad where we were in Gujarat but bad enough at times for those with any inclination to asthma.