Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Legacy glass in cold weather

Hello all,

With winter upon us, just wondering how M/A lenses and Takumars handle in the cold. Is there anything to be concerned about if I use them in the cold? I like to do street photography and nature photography in the winter.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks

11-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulpines Quote
Hello all,

With winter upon us, just wondering how M/A lenses and Takumars handle in the cold. Is there anything to be concerned about if I use them in the cold? I like to do street photography and nature photography in the winter.

Thanks
My 50 f1.7 manual focus has no problem at all with any cold the camera can handle. I've had it out at -15C. That lens does B&W very nicely in particular.

Autofocus nonWR lenses might not do so well. My Sigma's 17-50 f2.8 and 10-20 f4-5.6 both tend to fail to autofocus well or at all below about 0C. Can still manual focus. And they work again once warmed up.
11-15-2018, 01:43 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The usual precautions regarding condensation and frost still apply the same as on modern lenses. Unless the lens has been recently serviced and lubed, there is the risk that old oils and grease might become unreasonably stiff. If focus was stiff and/or aperture lazy when it was warm, both will become less cooperative with the cold.

Steve
11-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Never had problems with lenses, but I have had problems with my LX... It works fine in pleasant temperatures, but last winter there was a noticeable shutter lag...

11-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have mostly old Takumars and have used them for years out in the cold, down to about -10F, with no ill effects. That said up until recently it was on film. One think I have noticed is that they take a long time to warm back up especially compared to the 35mm f/2.4 plastic fantastic but that is because of the mass of those old lenses. They are not weather sealed so put the camera and lenses in a ziplock bag before going inside to prevent condensation. The older lenses tend to not focus as far past infinity or even past it at all so if it is really cold you may lose that ability but I adjusted all of mine where that was an issue so they all now go slightly father than infinity.

Other than that basically they are stiffer when cold as the grease doesn't flow as nicely and you may have slow aperture blades since everything shrinks and tightens up some.
11-15-2018, 03:10 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulpines Quote
Hello all,

Thanks
None shooting, just watch for condensation if you bring them into a warm place afterwards. Best leave the lenses in the camera bag you used outdoors with some silica gel packs, for a few hours to warm up to room temp.

Phil.
11-15-2018, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

"just wondering how M/A lenses and Takumars handle in the cold"

No problems I used very heavily in the 80's Takumars & Pentax Lenses with K1000's down to -30 C . Outside humidity in Northern Ontario very low and inside even lower in winter so no moisture problems. some times light meter battery would freeze up when out for extended perods. I actually worry more about my DSLR gear now because of batteries and electronic contacts throughout.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 12-04-2018 at 03:34 PM.
11-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

"...you may have slow aperture blades since everything shrinks and tightens up some"

Hadn't thought about it but I get a lot of overexposures with my Sigma lenses mentioned above when it is 0C or below. So there may be a shutter issue there too.
11-16-2018, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No problems shooting in down to -35C with M, K, Tokina, Ricoh etc. Only my not-so-good-anyway now-disassembled-to-be-a-projector-host Hoya branded 135mm got stiff at -5C and was unusably stiff at -20C.
11-19-2018, 07:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Focusing ring on CZJ MC S 135mm F3.5 became very stiff despite the fact that it was re-lubricated a year or so ago. The outside temperature was around -15. Helios 44K-4 was no better.
01-21-2019, 05:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I used an A50/1.2 in cold temperatures around Christmas. The focus got stiffer and stiffer, and at one point the rubber focus grip slipped when I was focusing. But on warming up, it now is fine with no slipping.
01-22-2019, 07:36 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

The only problem I'm aware of on old all-metal lenses in very cold conditions, is that you should avoid licking on them.
01-22-2019, 07:53 AM   #13
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
The only problem I'm aware of on old all-metal lenses in very cold conditions, is that you should avoid licking on them.
not sure why that would change for warmer weather....

(:
01-22-2019, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
not sure why that would change for warmer weather....

(:
It's kind of difficult to reach the viewfinder with your eye, when your tongue is frozen stuck to the lens.
01-22-2019, 12:53 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It's kind of difficult to reach the viewfinder with your eye, when your tongue is frozen stuck to the lens.
That’s why you use the app to do live view on your phone

-Eric