Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Lens hood for SMC Pentax-M 100mm F4 Macro

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've just ordered online a second hand SMC Pentax-M 100mm F4 macro and am looking for a lens hood. I know the filter thread is 49mm, so does any tubular hood suit this lens? I've seen two types online, one with what appears to be a bayonet fitting, the other, a straight forward thread mount. Could someone please clarify for me? Many thanks.

11-18-2018, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the A version of this lens and use a generic screw-in metal hood...

as far as I know, this lens does not have a bayonet for a hood...
11-18-2018, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

If it's like the S-M-C Takumar 100mm f4 macro, the front element sits pretty far back from the front of the lens. You might not need a hood.
11-18-2018, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I use that lens regularly. Part of the beauty is that the front element is recessed fairly deeply. You want a threaded 49mm hood - either a tubular model or a three-stage rubber collapsible hood will do just fine. The original hoods for that model were plastic clip on (but they did not hold up well generally) PH-R49.

11-18-2018, 02:50 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote

I do the same. Screw in metal short telephoto hoods can be easily found at my local shops, and they occasionally make appearances at thrift stores... probably your most economic hood option.
11-18-2018, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
b+w 49mm #900 rubber lens hood | B&H Photo Video

Great quality and bang for the buck.
11-18-2018, 03:13 PM - 2 Likes   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I do the same. Screw in metal short telephoto hoods can be easily found at my local shops, and they occasionally make appearances at thrift stores... probably your most economic hood option.
plus Amazon and eBay carry stacks of them...

11-18-2018, 03:40 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

I have that lens, I have a cheap generic 49mm aluminium hood on it (no bayonet) - the front element is fairly well recessed, but with a minimum focal distance of about 40cm from the front of the lens there's no reason not to use a hood, it doesn't get in the way and is useful for lens protection.
11-18-2018, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #9
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ken Rockwell has a nice review of this lens and shows the standard bayonet hood, case, etc. As I know his name brings a knee jerk reaction to some, I would add this review is very straightforward, and very complimentary of the lens.

BTW I think I would get the metal Takumar hood (49mm) labeled as for 135, 150 and 200 mm. They are widely available used and inexpensive.**
_____
** Just re-looked at Rockwell's review, and the Pentax bayonet hood is reversible--very neat.

Last edited by dms; 11-18-2018 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Added comment about hood being reversable
11-19-2018, 02:21 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Ken Rockwell has a nice review of this lens and shows the standard bayonet hood, case, etc. As I know his name brings a knee jerk reaction to some, I would add this review is very straightforward, and very complimentary of the lens.

BTW I think I would get the metal Takumar hood (49mm) labeled as for 135, 150 and 200 mm. They are widely available used and inexpensive.**
_____
** Just re-looked at Rockwell's review, and the Pentax bayonet hood is reversible--very neat.
Thanks for this. In fact I read it just yesterday. Yes it was a good review.

---------- Post added 11-19-18 at 02:24 AM ----------

Many thanks to you all for your very quick replys. I'm looking forward to receiving this lens as so many people rave about it for Macro photography.
11-19-2018, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

BTW I think I would get the metal Takumar hood (49mm) labeled as for 135, 150 and 200 mm. They are widely available used and inexpensive.
That would be perfect for APS-C but some vignetting might appear on full frame.
11-20-2018, 09:41 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

BTW I think I would get the metal Takumar hood (49mm) labeled as for 135, 150 and 200 mm. They are widely available used and inexpensive.
Yes, that hood and supertak 35mm hood I use for supertak 50mm both fit Pentax M 100mm . I used the first one (longer) with it. I believe that any metal takumar hood 49mm will fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Asahi-Pentax-Takumar-49mm-Screw-in-Metal-Lens-Hood-...jdA:rk:53:pf:0
11-21-2018, 05:10 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote

I have the A version, too, and use an older Pentax hood that was originally made for either the 135mm or the 150mm lens, I think. Even though the front element is fairly recessed, I always operate on the theory that the deeper hood you can use, the better. Oh...and that's a pinch-mount hood in the Rockwell article. Pentax bayonet hoods didn't come along until later.
11-22-2018, 01:21 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I have the A version, too, and use an older Pentax hood that was originally made for either the 135mm or the 150mm lens, I think. Even though the front element is fairly recessed, I always operate on the theory that the deeper hood you can use, the better. Oh...and that's a pinch-mount hood in the Rockwell article. Pentax bayonet hoods didn't come along until later.
Thanks for clarifying that. The picture in the article clearly shows the bayonet (reversible) and you obviously can't have the screw thread as well.
11-22-2018, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
That would be perfect for APS-C but some vignetting might appear on full frame.
I probably need to check it again, but I don't remember any noticeable vignetting for combo K-1 with M100 mm f4 and that hood.