Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2018, 05:02 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its virtually the same as my crop sensor kit. The two main lenses are the Tameron 28-75 /2.8 and sigma 70-200/2.8. I swap out the sigma 10-20 and replace it with the Pentax FA-J 17-35, and replace the samyang 8mm fisheye with either the samyang 14/2.8 or zenitar 16mm fisheye

P.s my full frame body is a PZ-1😀

12-05-2018, 07:40 AM - 2 Likes   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
Me too! Especially with the price and scarcity of the FA 20mm. Looking forward to seeing what Pentax releases as a prime (I think a wide angle prime is on the road map) , but I have a feeling it will be a lot bigger than the FA 20 or FA* 24.
Right, it would be a monster most likely. An FA 20 Limited is what we need. And a pile of money.
12-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #63
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Right, and until the DFA20 Ltd comes along I'll rely on my A20/2.8 - small and light for what it is, and usually part of my travel kit. Along with (surprise!) the DFA28-105 and FA43. Depending on the destination I will often bring the DFA100 and/or DA55-300 (not quite FF, but not doing too bad, I think).

Some non-FF items are also part of the kit, though, such as the GR. Always the GR.
12-06-2018, 09:40 PM   #64
Veteran Member

I am not so certain we'll see a FA limited in the 20mm range. I won't pretend to know what Ricoh's strategy is, but I feel like the compromise compact lenses are the realm of the DA and everything new we see for the FA sensor is going to be no compromises optically, matching the sensor resolution.

If this is the case, I actually think it makes sense because it gives both systems reason to co-exist. Pentax has a very compelling DA lineup which only needs a slight refresh.

Well, that's my opinion and outlook.

12-07-2018, 08:21 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My current kit is from 17 to 200, quite fast because of what i tend to shoot (heavy kit)

Tamron 17-35/2,8-4
Panagor 28/2
Pentax DA 35/2.4
Pentax DA* 55/1.4
Pentax FA* 85/1.4
Tamron 70-200/2.8
With all the hoods necessary.

When weight is an issue (like in a Greenland expedition i did 2 years ago), the light kit is :
Tamron 17-35/2.8-4
Pentax DA* 55/1.4
Pentax K 75-150/4

Very light, but very capable kit. Not the fastest, but definitely something that allows great pictures.
12-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #66
Pentaxian

I won't pretend to know what Ricoh's strategy is, but I feel like the compromise compact lenses are the realm of the DA and everything new we see for the FA sensor is going to be no compromises optically, matching the sensor resolution.
Well that's certainly the strategy with star lenses, but will all the new DFA lenses be star lenses? The ultra wide prime on the roadmap is not a star lens; it's not even labeled as wide aperture. So it could be a limited. Or even an f2.8 prime, like the old FA. In that case, it wouldn't have to be a monster lens.

Keep in mind as well that the DFA 28-105 is hardly a monster. There's room for more compact optics in the DFA system. Pentax just hasn't gotten around to making them, as the star lenses have taken priority. But the slower aperture non-star DFA lenses on the roadmap should be, like the DFA 28-105, smaller and more compact, not monsters like the f2.8 zooms and the star primes.
12-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Well that's certainly the strategy with star lenses, but will all the new DFA lenses be star lenses? The ultra wide prime on the roadmap is not a star lens; it's not even labeled as wide aperture. So it could be a limited. Or even an f2.8 prime, like the old FA. In that case, it wouldn't have to be a monster lens.

Keep in mind as well that the DFA 28-105 is hardly a monster. There's room for more compact optics in the DFA system. Pentax just hasn't gotten around to making them, as the star lenses have taken priority. But the slower aperture non-star DFA lenses on the roadmap should be, like the DFA 28-105, smaller and more compact, not monsters like the f2.8 zooms and the star primes.
I agree with this. I'm guessing most users of the K-1 either want fast F2.8 zooms or fast primes. There probably isn't much of a market for a 70-300mm full frame average IQ lens. The roadmapped 70-200mm F4 will probably serve people who don't want a monster lens. The 28-105 is a good example of a small and reliable "consumer" lens. I hope there are others.

For the record, I think old film-era FF lenses tend to be quite good, but not to the level of what people expect nowadays. Pentax could hardly release a 28mm F2.8 and have reviewers say "it's very soft, close to unusable, in the corners". I'm using the FA 20-35 now and even though I like that lens a lot, I can't claim its corners are amazing wide open. FA Limiteds are another matter, however.

I see (and hope I'm right) Pentax releasing moderate size lenses, no pancakes but not behemoths like the new 50. They have an opportunity to show their mettle with the upcoming wide prime. Nothing bigger than the FA 31, and it will sell very well indeed.

12-07-2018, 05:07 PM   #68
Veteran Member

The DFA 28-105 could be an example or it could be an outlier.

Keeping in mind that the existing FA limiteds are film era glass, we can't really use them as examples of what Ricoh intends to do moving forward. Sure, a 20mm FA limited would be a wonderful addition.

But at this point, out of all the lenses released for the K-1 we really only have one, which is basically the kit lens that is compact and light.

As long as lenses continue to be designed and released I'm happy. What Ricoh has released so far for the K-1 are top notch glass. I'd love to see a fast wide angle prime and a fast medium telephoto come to market.

12-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #69
Pentaxian

The DFA 28-105 could be an example or it could be an outlier.
There are two zoom lenses on the roadmap that could very well be in the pattern of the DFA 28-105: the fisheye zoom and what looks to be a 70-300 f4-5.6. Of course, the 70-300 could be like the Canon L version of the lens. But why would Pentax produce and huge, heavy and expensive 70-300 lens? By the time that 70-300 reaches the market, Pentax will already have the DFA 150-450, the DFA* 70-200/2.8 and the DFA 70-200/4. The 70-300 only makes sense if it follows the design philosophy behind the 28-105.

The reason why most of the DFA lenses are monsters is because Pentax has made lenses like the DFA 150-450, the trio of f2.8 zooms, and these very ambitions fast aperture star prime lenses the priority, and those type of lenses tend to be very large and heavy. The wide angle prime on the roadmap is not supposed to be a large aperture lens; nor it is going to be a star lens; so no reason to assume it will be a monster. And while it's likely true that nearly all the DFA lenses will be larger and heavier than early FA iterations, that doesn't mean everything's going to be as large as the DFA* 50. A DFA 20 f2.8 could be larger and heavier than the FA 20 f2.8 and still be significantly smaller and lighter than that 50mm monster.
12-07-2018, 08:06 PM   #70
Veteran Member

The fun thing about Ricoh is we have no idea what the future holds. The road map doesn't exactly end speculation, it just puts the odds one way or another. I like how you are choosing to look at it. I definitely can see why your choosing that outlook.

Personally, I hope Ricoh lens engineers aren't wasting efforts on Fisheye lens designs. Leave novelty lenses like those to Rokinon.

12-07-2018, 09:06 PM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
There probably isn't much of a market for a 70-300mm full frame average IQ lens. The roadmapped 70-200mm F4 will probably serve people who don't want a monster lens.
If the 70-200 F4 is patterned off the Tokina, as per the rumors, that lens is also pretty big - comes in at about 1kg. Substantially less than the D FA 70-200, but not that much lighter than the Tamron 70-200 (1150 g). Not exactly featherweight.

I recently sold my Tamron 70-300 (435 g) because I wasn't quite happy enough with the output, and I found it rather mechanically unpleasant to use. But I've regretted it since, because it was so easy to keep in the bag. I don't want to lug around a 70-200 unless photography is the explicit purpose of my trip.

I've got a Sigma APO 70-300 (550 g) on the way to try to plug that hole. But I would definitely be interested in a Pentax 70-300 in the vein of Nikon's FX 70-300 lenses (700-750g) at a 28-105 quality level.
12-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Travel kit for me would be K-1 and the three Limiteds with the 43 being the default option.
12-09-2018, 07:45 AM   #73
Pentaxian

There are two zoom lenses on the roadmap that could very well be in the pattern of the DFA 28-105: the fisheye zoom and what looks to be a 70-300 f4-5.6. Of course, the 70-300 could be like the Canon L version of the lens. But why would Pentax produce and huge, heavy and expensive 70-300 lens? By the time that 70-300 reaches the market, Pentax will already have the DFA 150-450, the DFA* 70-200/2.8 and the DFA 70-200/4. The 70-300 only makes sense if it follows the design philosophy behind the 28-105.

The reason why most of the DFA lenses are monsters is because Pentax has made lenses like the DFA 150-450, the trio of f2.8 zooms, and these very ambitions fast aperture star prime lenses the priority, and those type of lenses tend to be very large and heavy. The wide angle prime on the roadmap is not supposed to be a large aperture lens; nor it is going to be a star lens; so no reason to assume it will be a monster. And while it's likely true that nearly all the DFA lenses will be larger and heavier than early FA iterations, that doesn't mean everything's going to be as large as the DFA* 50. A DFA 20 f2.8 could be larger and heavier than the FA 20 f2.8 and still be significantly smaller and lighter than that 50mm monster.
I would be interested of good quality DFA 70-300 3,5-5,6 WR lens, with similar prinsibles made as DFA 28-105. You would just need couple or one favourite prime with those. Travel light, not too expensive. Not interested of that 70-200/4 lens. But then again, I have *70-200 already.
12-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #74
Pentaxian

Personally, I hope Ricoh lens engineers aren't wasting efforts on Fisheye lens designs. Leave novelty lenses like those to Rokinon.
The fisheye zoom is on the roadmap, so it looks like Ricoh is going to be "wasting" their efforts on it, one way or the other. As a big fan of fisheye zooms, the DFA fisheye zoom is the lens on the roadmap I'm most looking forward to. The Rokinon fisheye is a prime, so it doesn't do anything for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I would be interested of good quality DFA 70-300 3,5-5,6 WR lens, with similar prinsibles made as DFA 28-105. You would just need couple or one favourite prime with those. Travel light, not too expensive. Not interested in that 70-200/4 lens. But then again, I have *70-200 already.
I agree completely. For me, the biggest problem with FF and the reason why I stayed away from the K-1 until quite recently is the size and weight of FF zooms. So smaller FF zooms like the DFA 28-105 and, hopefully, the DFA 70-300 fill an important role keeping the overall weight of the kit to reasonable limits. Moreover, I'm somewhat inclined to think that the DFA 70-200/4 may be a bit of a mistake for Pentax. Not that they shouldn't at some point come out with a lens of that description, but it seems to me that f4 zooms are not significantly smaller or less expensive than the f2.8 zooms, so they don't end up filling as big a gap in the line-up.
12-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #75
Veteran Member

The fisheye zoom is on the roadmap, so it looks like Ricoh is going to be "wasting" their efforts on it, one way or the other. As a big fan of fisheye zooms, the DFA fisheye zoom is the lens on the roadmap I'm most looking forward to. The Rokinon fisheye is a prime, so it doesn't do anything for me.
Everyone has different priorities in their wants and needs. To me, a fisheye isn't something you produce early in your lens catalog. Currently the catalog consists of 4 or 5 lenses designed for digital (7 or 8 if we count the FA limiteds). Thus my "wasting time" comment. By all means, make every lens possible once you've got a full catalog, but fill the catalog.