Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2018, 08:14 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
I enjoy K1 with silver FA 80-320 / 4,5-5,6
That's was my original choice for a cheap compact telephoto zoom for the K-1, and I even bid on one on ebay. But then I looked at some images from the FA-J 75-300 on pentaxphotogallery.com and was surprised by brightness and vividness of the colors that images from the 75-300 manifested. I looked at FA-J images on flicker and found the same thing: surprisingly good color and contrast for a cheap old lens designed for film cameras. For all their optical deficiencies, the FA-J series lenses produce beautiful, vivid color --- better, as far as I can tell, than any of the other old consumer grade AF zooms from the nineties (with the possible exception of the slower aperture version of the FA 100-300). The main weaknesses of the FA-J series involve wide open sharpness (this 75-300 is particularly weak in this area) and sharpness away from the center (the FA-J lens is particularly weak away from the center in the 200 to 300 range). Since I bought the lens solely for landscape work, I can often work around these limitations. I would not, however, recommend this lens to those wishing to photograph objects (people, critters, statues, etc.) at a distance. For that, the FA 80-320 would probably be a better choice.

QuoteOriginally posted by niblue Quote
As an alternative to the FA-J 75-300 I've had good results using a Sigma APO 70-300.
Probably a fine choice as well, but I prefer Pentax colors.

11-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote

I had the K30 sigma Sigma APO 70-300 and replaced the Pentax DA 55-300 and was better than sigma except in the focusing speed, now I think the FA 80-320 is better than both
11-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
now I think the FA 80-320 is better than both
May i encourage you to do a review of this lens in the Database ? It's very nice to have updated reviews of those old lenses on the K1.

Since the K1 everyone seems to look for this kind of review.

It would be very nice of you! Thanks you
11-28-2018, 01:02 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
May i encourage you to do a review of this lens in the Database ? It's very nice to have updated reviews of those old lenses on the K1.

I think the best K-1/ii travel kit is the KP with a 40mm Pentax pancake lens....Just kidding guys. But, I sold my K-3 and just bought the KP and it is a blast. Small, fast, APS-c, but you can't have everything. Still love the K-!ii though as it generates some of te best pictures I've ever taken

---------- Post added 11-28-18 at 01:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
That's was my original choice for a cheap compact telephoto zoom for the K-1, and I even bid on one on ebay. But then I looked at some images from the FA-J 75-300 on pentaxphotogallery.com and was surprised by brightness and vividness of the colors that images from the 75-300 manifested. I looked at FA-J images on flicker and found the same thing: surprisingly good color and contrast for a cheap old lens designed for film cameras. For all their optical deficiencies, the FA-J series lenses produce beautiful, vivid color --- better, as far as I can tell, than any of the other old consumer grade AF zooms from the nineties (with the possible exception of the slower aperture version of the FA 100-300). The main weaknesses of the FA-J series involve wide open sharpness (this 75-300 is particularly weak in this area) and sharpness away from the center (the FA-J lens is particularly weak away from the center in the 200 to 300 range). Since I bought the lens solely for landscape work, I can often work around these limitations. I would not, however, recommend this lens to those wishing to photograph objects (people, critters, statues, etc.) at a distance. For that, the FA 80-320 would probably be a better choice.

I like the SIGMA 70-300 also. It did not require any fine lens adjustment and is much better coupled with the FF Sensor of the K-1ii. Since I rarely need more than 300mm, that is my largest macro lens as well. For the price, it's really good quality (AF a bit noisy, but I like the ability to make fine manual focus adjustments).

11-29-2018, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #50

I've not done much with the Sigma APO 70-300 on the K1 yet (my K1 just arrived earlier this week) however I used it on the K10D a lot. Here's a shot I took wide open & handheld of a robin with that combination:

And this is a 100% crop from the same shot:

Ok it's not as good as a more expensive lens would be, but for when I can't be bothered lugging the weight of a 80-200 F2.8 zoom it's a decent substitute. I'm looking forward to giving it a go on the K1 soon.
11-29-2018, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote

I always forget to point out that it is a FA 80-320 / 4,5-5,6 SILVER model (I have never used a black model because it is supposed to have some problems both optical and mechanical)

I will, I promise!
12-04-2018, 02:48 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
My minimal FF travel kit is:
K-1ii
Sigma Superwide II 24/2.8
FA 43
FA 77

On my recent holiday visit to Michigan I brought the above, plus a Rokinon 14/2.8 that I didn't end up using and a Tamron 70-200 that I brought for a specific single shot I wanted to get while there.
In addition I had my little aluminum Manfrotto BeFree tripod which I didn't use much but needed for that one shot with the 70-200.

This trip was not all about photography and I knew I'd be in the city a bit so I wanted to keep it small and light.

I'd really like something better at the wide end. The Sigma is ok, but with two other Limiteds in the bag it's shortcomings are fairly noticeable.
FA 31 would be a natural match but I want something closer to 20mm.
There's a FA* 24 for sale on the forum right now. That would fit the bill. Great lens for the k-1 and up to the limiteds quality.

12-04-2018, 04:19 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
There's a FA* 24 for sale on the forum right now. That would fit the bill. Great lens for the k-1 and up to the limiteds quality.
Thanks. I'll probably get one at some point but things are a little tight right now, money-wise. I also see what looks like a nicer one from japan for almost $100 less on eBay so I'd be more likely to go that route when I'm ready. I already have the D FA 24-70 so I have a nice lens at that FL but the zoom is pretty big and heavy.
12-04-2018, 04:31 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Thanks. I'll probably get one at some point but things are a little tight right now, money-wise. I also see what looks like a nicer one from japan for almost $100 less on eBay so I'd be more likely to go that route when I'm ready. I already have the D FA 24-70 so I have a nice lens at that FL but the zoom is pretty big and heavy.
I got mine from Japan, and it looks almost new. Those silver lenses all end up looking beat up no matter how careful you are. Mine came with all original parts for under $400 shipped (with a ebay or PayPal discount) . The one on the forum is overpriced for what it is. But alot of people don't like risking the Japan purchases. I've never had a problem. I suppose though, if I did have an issue, it could become a bigger hassle dealing with returning it. Anyway, it is a fantastic lens. I hope to get some sample images up with it shortly. Unfortunately, I'm always backlogged.

12-04-2018, 05:36 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niblue Quote
I've not done much with the Sigma APO 70-300 on the K1 yet (my K1 just arrived earlier this week) however I used it on the K10D a lot. Here's a shot I took wide open & handheld of a robin with that combination:

And this is a 100% crop from the same shot:

Ok it's not as good as a more expensive lens would be, but for when I can't be bothered lugging the weight of a 80-200 F2.8 zoom it's a decent substitute. I'm looking forward to giving it a go on the K1 soon.
I disagree...the small bird has rich color an detail. The SIGMA really performs well. I think the 100% crop is where the K10D shows its age, yet the regular shot is nicely detailed...I am a big fan of the SIGMA 70-30mm
12-04-2018, 06:10 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I only recently acquired my K-1 so my travel kit is thus far speculative. I was a reluctant upgrader, as I am a convert of the small and light APS-C system which was closer to the film era system I grew up on than the new digital behemoth lenses that are the norm these days (look at the size of the DFA 50 1.4, the 15-30 , Sigma ART, etc as examples). Fwiw, I actually expect the successor to the K-3II to be my main travel camera and the excellent APS-C lens system I've built to continue to be what I grab when I want to go light.

Anyway, I definitely will be using the K-1 for some travel while waiting for that APS-C upgrade from Ricoh. But I'm going to play to the K-1 strengths over the APS-C sensor which are shallow DOF and low light.

Irix 15mm
FA* 24
FA 35/2 or FA 43
DA 70
DFA 100 WR
M-150 f3.5
Three legged thing carbon fiber tripod
Ultrapod table top tripod
ND and Polarizing filters
Extra batteries, lens cleaning equipment, blower, paint brush to clean camera

If I was planning to shoot panoramas or architectural shots I would probably add in my 35mm f/2.8 T&S. I'd possibly leave the 15mm, 100 or 150 out if I wanted to trim things down. Just depends what I envision shooting on a particular trip.

Eventually I plan to buy the DFA 28-105.

Irix 15mm
FA* 24
FA 35/2 or 43
DFA 28-105 WR
M-150 3.5
Three legged thing carbon fiber tripod
Ultrapod table top tripod
ND and Polarizing filters
Extra batteries, lens cleaning equipment, blower, paint brush to clean camera

12-04-2018, 10:40 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
I got mine from Japan, and it looks almost new. Those silver lenses all end up looking beat up no matter how careful you are. Mine came with all original parts for under $400 shipped (with a ebay or PayPal discount) . The one on the forum is overpriced for what it is. But alot of people don't like risking the Japan purchases. I've never had a problem. I suppose though, if I did have an issue, it could become a bigger hassle dealing with returning it. Anyway, it is a fantastic lens. I hope to get some sample images up with it shortly. Unfortunately, I'm always backlogged.
I've gotten tons of stuff from Japan and it's all been pristine. I wish there was a FA* 20mm.
12-05-2018, 12:41 AM   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never been let down by a purchase from Japan. They certainly look after their lenses better than me.

12-05-2018, 12:52 AM   #59
Veteran Member

I've gotten tons of stuff from Japan and it's all been pristine. I wish there was a FA* 20mm.
Me too! Especially with the price and scarcity of the FA 20mm. Looking forward to seeing what Pentax releases as a prime (I think a wide angle prime is on the road map) , but I have a feeling it will be a lot bigger than the FA 20 or FA* 24.

12-05-2018, 01:40 AM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I disagree...the small bird has rich color an detail. The SIGMA really performs well. I think the 100% crop is where the K10D shows its age, yet the regular shot is nicely detailed...I am a big fan of the SIGMA 70-30mm
I've heard rumours of quality control issues with Sigma lenses (although not encountered it myself as I've a lot of Sigma lenses and so far they've all been decent) so it's possible that there are poorer performing versions of the lens out there. I think there are also non-APO versions as well, and they're not supposed to be as good as the APO one I have a copy of.

Anyway for me, and with the copy I own, it's a very decent performer and a real bargain at the prices they can be found 2nd hand. It's definitely been a better performer than any of the similar consumer spec Pentax long zooms I've owned previously.