Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #16

Original Poster
I currently own the Canon 400/2.8 EF L lens. I also own the matching 1.4 tele extender.

I have used several big prime lenses and various tele extenders.

To be honest I much prefer NOT to use them if at all possible. You lose one stop of light with the 1.4X and two with the 2X. There are a ton of really bad tele extenders out there. The Canon 1.4 is the best I have used.

But I see folks out there all the time: always using their tele extenders because they bought them and feel they should be using them. They make the image darker to focus, you loose light and they degrade the image quality. If you are using an auto focus system they also slow down the AF performance as well.

Tele extenders are a great tool if you only use them when you really have to: kind of like an emergency "break glass to access..." kind of scenario...

Max

Last edited by Photomaximum; 09-28-2008 at 07:45 PM.
09-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #17

Original Poster
I wonder if Pentax will ever come out with new versions of the 400/2.8 or other "big glass?"

Given Pentax's position in the market I would say it is doubtful. I have used several big lenses ranging from 300mm to 800mm (Nikon, Canon and Pentax.)

To my eye the 400/2.8 lens is THE lens to use for shooting sports, action, widlife, etc in mixed conditions. Its the perfect combination of long focal length and lens speed.

Any version of this lens is heavy, large and expensive. These are the costs of great performance. Sure there are longer (but slower) lenses out there, but I am always drawn to the 400/2.8.

Its nice to see Pentax getting some fresh notice for their kit now. But I doubt they will be delivering exotic glass like they used to...

Max
09-29-2008, 12:35 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photomaximum Quote
I wonder if Pentax will ever come out with new versions of the 400/2.8 or other "big glass?"

Given Pentax's position in the market I would say it is doubtful.
A view shared and feared by many, and the cause of some of the brand's malaise in my opinion.
09-29-2008, 02:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some spectacular shots you have posted. With the improved high Iso of DSLR, then I could live with a weathersealed DA* 400/4.

Latest rumours mention the DA* 300/2.8 to be the next upcoming.
Else a 500/4.5 would be nice, down the line, too. (Others buy the Sigma version.)

The FA 600/4 can still be built to order in Japan