Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B&H listing the DA* 300mm as not compatible with FF?

I was just looking thru the cyber Monday deals and saw that B&H is listing the DA* 300mm f/4 as incompatible with Full Frame. This is the first time I've heard of this. Also I just checked back with B&H and although the DA* 200mm isn't discounted it too is listed as incompatible with FF sensor cameras. I have no idea why as everything I've read says that both lenses are fully compatible with the K-1.
Na(sometimes B&H confuses me)H2O

11-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As I remember DA*300mm has never been listed as FF lens. But I've not seen that special warning before.

edit: But when you look here, it's is compatible. Go figure... Perhaps they need to update listing.
Attached Images

11-26-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They likely just key off the DA and haven't given it any thought.
11-26-2018, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's no way that a store is going to test every lens to check for full frame image circle coverage. If it's a da it's apsc, if it's a d-fa it's full frame

I bet there are Nikon dx lenses that cover full frame, but you'd never find them advertised as such.

11-26-2018, 03:17 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Fake news, they haven't updated the info about format since the original announcement

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-26-2018, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
There's no way that a store is going to test every lens to check for full frame image circle coverage. If it's a da it's apsc, if it's a d-fa it's full frame

I bet there are Nikon dx lenses that cover full frame, but you'd never find them advertised as such.
The difference is that Pentax has full frame correction profiles as specifically calls this legs and the DA* 200 out as compatible.
11-26-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The difference is that Pentax has full frame correction profiles as specifically calls this legs and the DA* 200 out as compatible.
Have you been on the sherry Uncle ?

Despite the spelling mistakes this post is right on the money. Pentax have endowed the K1 with lens profiles for the DA200/300 in both crop and FF mode. These two lenses (amongst others) are specifically mentioned in the K1 manual as being FF compatible.
11-26-2018, 04:19 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

i'll bite

what are " correction profiles "

are you folks saying that those lenses would not cover the full frame sensor if used on any other camera with a full frame sensor

[please ignore for the purpose of this question how the lenses would mount to another brand of camera body ]

11-26-2018, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
what are " correction profiles "

are you folks saying that those lenses would not cover the full frame sensor if used on any other camera with a full frame sensor
No that is not the case. The lenses in question do cover the full frame sensor, and would on any FF camera if mount were not an issue.

Most modern lenses have a lens correction profile built into the camera software. These profiles can be selected by the user to be on or off and will do things like correct any pincushion/barrel distortion that the lens displays (no lens is free of distortion), and correct for any vignetting issues. The point about Pentax producing correction profiles for both these lenses on the K1 in both crop and FF mode is that the lenses are FF compatible. They would not produce them for FF mode if the lens were not. Take for example the DA* 60-250 lens. On the K1 it has profiles for crop mode but not for FF.
11-26-2018, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
No that is not the case. The lenses in question do cover the full frame sensor, and would on any FF camera if mount were not an issue.

Most modern lenses have a lens correction profile built into the camera software. These profiles can be selected by the user to be on or off and will do things like correct any pincushion/barrel distortion that the lens displays (no lens is free of distortion), and correct for any vignetting issues. The point about Pentax producing correction profiles for both these lenses on the K1 in both crop and FF mode is that the lenses are FF compatible. They would not produce them for FF mode if the lens were not. Take for example the DA* 60-250 lens. On the K1 it has profiles for crop mode but not for FF.
once again

thanks for the explanation and instruction
11-26-2018, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The correction profiles only apply to jpg output I think. And my mobile autocorrect is annoying.
11-26-2018, 07:51 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The correction profiles only apply to jpg output I think
True, but they are recorded in the raw files and can be applied when processing the raw image depending on your software.
6 Days Ago   #14
Pentaxian

Strange, B&H didn't correct the lens details ans still say:
QuoteQuote:
WARNING: Not compatible with "full-frame" (35mm size) cameras.
Pentax SMCP-DA* 300mm f/4 ED (IF) SDM Autofocus Lens 21760 B&H